intercooler sprayer

87ttsupra

Wee turbo!!!
Apr 9, 2008
pueblo west
im going to atempt to make an intercooler sprayer soon. im going to use mister nosles and a little pump. i plan on puting the resivor in the car where the backseats used to be lol and run the lines underneath the body. if any one has made there own and could give me some tips that would be sweet.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
87ttsupra;1246620 said:
im going to atempt to make an intercooler sprayer soon. im going to use mister nosles and a little pump. i plan on puting the resivor in the car where the backseats used to be lol and run the lines underneath the body. if any one has made there own and could give me some tips that would be sweet.

Just tap into the windshield washer fluid res and put an inline pump to spray the intercooler. The Lancer Evo's have it from factory, and since the washer fluid usually has alcohal in it, it makes for slightly lower evaporation temps than just water. Make sure the pump seals can handle the alcohal, infact i dont see why you couldnt just use another washer pump to do the work! It will keep everything under hood, so your interior isnt all cluttered with a messy resivoir and lines everywhere.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
pbasil1;1246627 said:
Just tap into the windshield washer fluid res and put an inline pump to spray the intercooler. The Lancer Evo's have it from factory, and since the washer fluid usually has alcohal in it, it makes for slightly lower evaporation temps than just water. Make sure the pump seals can handle the alcohal, infact i dont see why you couldnt just use another washer pump to do the work! It will keep everything under hood, so your interior isnt all cluttered with a messy resivoir and lines everywhere.
OR if you have the headlight sprayers you could make a separate reservoir for the pump for those and just reroute some piping. If you've ever used those headlight sprayers you'll know how powerful those little bastards are, you might be able to use the normal sprayer heads.

Last edited:

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
^ X 2 Use the headlight sprayers. Just fill the holes left and you are good to go. They should work perfectly. I was thinking about doing that too, but is it really going to make that much difference performance-wise? I'd like to see some numbers before I go to all the hassle.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
I was thinking about just rerouting the whole system to use for this because I never use the little sprayers anyways.
I am interested in performance games though. Does it make a difference?
Also does anyone know if the thing can hold up to alchohol?

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
NewWestSupras;1246646 said:
^ X 2 Use the headlight sprayers. Just fill the holes left and you are good to go. They should work perfectly. I was thinking about doing that too, but is it really going to make that much difference performance-wise? I'd like to see some numbers before I go to all the hassle.

Yeah I'm not too sure either of how much of a real difference it will make, they just seem to be kind of a fad lately; haven't really seen much of anything numbers wise.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Im sure once the intercooler is heatsoaked from some hard track times, it would help once the vehicle is in motion, but probably only by a few HP. I think its one of those "looks good on paper" theories.

87ttsupra

Wee turbo!!!
Apr 9, 2008
pueblo west
pbasil1;1246698 said:
Im sure once the intercooler is heatsoaked from some hard track times, it would help once the vehicle is in motion, but probably only by a few HP. I think its one of those "looks good on paper" theories.

there isnt a gain in hp but in the summer time it well keep your air intake temps down. now if you were to use a co2 or nitrous sprayers then u might see a gain in hp. im nt looking for hp gain i just want to keep the bastard cool lol. you could also spray your rad if you wanted but idk if it would do much. oh and i wouldnt use the headlight nozzels it needs to be a mist the smaller the droplets the better the evaporation i dont think you want to drech the intercooler. correct me if im wrong

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
From what I've heard the cheap blue windshield washer fluid is what people use for running meth injection. If you are worried about the seals in the system you could use this. Not sure what type of cooling this would provide, but I'm sure better and than just water. For Drift nuts I think this would be a great setup to run.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Steely;1247431 said:
yeah until you hydrolock your motor... windshield washer sprayers don't atomize it enough and you don't get a regulated amount inside you intake piping... like i said you'll just hydrolock your motor spraying into your pipes with a windshield washer nozzle you need a special nozzle which in that case just buy a meth kit .... http://www.aquastealth.com/watermethanolinjectionkit.aspx

i wasnt meaning using headlight washer sprayers, and yes water injection was what i was hinting at :). The benefits can easily surpass an IC sprayer if setup correctly and for $3-400 its still cheap enough for us MKIII owners

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Steely;1247444 said:
go meth injection with the smax intercooler with the internal cooler... spray NO2 inside your intercooler

i like those smax intercoolers, wouldnt mind having one myself.

i got to talk to some of those guys and see some cool demostrations of their products back in 06 at PRI.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I'm personally not a big fan of using gas to spray the intercooler. It sounds dumb, maybe risky, and definitely expensive. Spraying nitrous on the intercooler is dumb and a waste. CO2 can do the same job, probably for less, and is more commonly found.

Either way, water probably does almost as well and is far more plentiful and cheaper. Its also safer, and probably easier too..IMO water is the best choice.

Spraying N2O in the intercooler is also an idea, but not as good as a straight up direct port IMO. I personally dont care much for nitrous because it has a whole new set of risks that boosting alone already has. Most of all, its another fuel source to refill in addition to pump gas. I personally would only consider water as a supplemental source, and nothing else.

Steely

Oct 22, 2008
Rhode Island
the smax intercooler has internal coils that you run N2O through and it cools the air from the inside out... no N2O ever enters your intake in ANY way possible. it is the best way to super chill your intercooler withouth the risk of sprayed gas getting into your inake and causing posible damage