Installing Control arm zerk fittings

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Hey supramania,

I've been thinking about installing Energy Suspension control arm bushings. I daily drive my car and I understand that the ride will be stiffer. However, one thing I don't want is the notorious polyurethane "squeak". I'm sure this is common, but in order to eliminate the squeak I want to install zerk fittings so I can easily and regularly grease the bushings. Has anyone done this? Are there any tips, tricks, or caveats to watch out for when installing zerk fittings?

As an alternative to the poly I'm also thinking about going with the stock rubber bushings. Anyone have a ballpark price for all 4 corners? I haven't had a chance to make it to a Toyota Parts place yet.

Thanks everyone.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Wrong section. The lower control arm bushings were never meant to be removed, and therefore you cannot buy factory bushings for the lower control arm.

Use GOOD lube and you won't have any issues with the polys squeaking. IJ. will most likely chime in with what grease he used. Iirc it was some castrol grease and he ran it for something like 6 years with no squeaks, or regreases.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Like Backlash said, proper grease and you won't have a problem and do NOT get the red bushing!
Energy Suspension makes a black ployurethane bushing that are impregnated with graphite. The graphite acts like a lube to help prevent squeaks.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
The "graphite impregnated" bushings do nothing for squeaks. I installed mine with a little too little grease and they still squeaked. I remember reading somewhere that they didn't even need grease.. lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
It was about the same with the energy suspension "graphite impregnated" bushings.. only on really cold days.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
IndigoMKII;1974890 said:

There are some good insights here. I had similar thoughts regarding the graphite impregnation of the bushings. I've also heard that in our particular case the black ones are just black and don't have the graphite anyway. I suppose the general consensus is to just lube it better and that zerk fittings are a waste of time.

Have you used the polybushings grease? If so, is it all that it claims?

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Backlash2032;1974870 said:
The "graphite impregnated" bushings do nothing for squeaks. I installed mine with a little too little grease and they still squeaked. I remember reading somewhere that they didn't even need grease.. lol

LOL thanks. Good info regarding the lower bushings too, I had no idea that was the case. I thought about putting it in the suspension section but I was sure if this was technical enough haha.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I found it in the for sale section.. lol. But you CAN remove the lower bushings, its just a pita.