Installing a new windshield in my IS250

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Not sure if I should put this in the other car forums or not, since it's not really about another car, just about doing something yourself. Off-Topic it is!

Over the past years I have become more and more disillusioned with glass installers. I've seen car after car get windshield after windshield poorly installed, with excess adhesive, misalignment, scratches, etc., etc. They just don't care, and they often times get paid per install. Customers want cheap and fast installations, they don't want to leave their car to get taken apart and then wait for the proper curing time, nor do they want to pay for the time it takes to do that.

After having numerous problems with my own various cars, I decided that I would no longer let someone else do for me what I believe I can do myself. I've since installed 3 windshields in various types of cars and am gaining a pretty decent ability. It takes me a long time and a lot of preparation, but it's done right and I know no steps were skipped.

All that being said, I still never look forward to having to replace a windshield, and when I got a large chip 2 weeks ago that spread very quickly before I could get it repaired, I knew I was going to need to install another one. :sad: I haven't finished the job yet, I will be installing the new glass tomorrow, but I figured I'd post what I've done so far in case anyone is interested in seeing how Lexus actually says to do the glass versus what most people have probably seen happen when they got their windshield replaced.

We'll start with a new factory windshield glass from Lexus, heated without auto wipers:
parts_glass1.jpg

There are also a few other parts you'll need, as most of these are damaged while removing the old glass. This includes the top moulding, adhesive dam, some clips. The side mouldings are reusable if you can get them off without breaking them. I almost did, but there was a bit too much adhesive and it held them on too tightly so they broke.
parts1.jpg

Brought in a windshield glass installation kit from Japan. Drive Joy is Toyota's aftermarket brand in Japan, I tried to get the genuine kit from Toyota, but they don't sell it, had to get the Drive Joy kit.
parts_adhesive1.jpg

Installation kit includes body primer, glass primer, piano wire and the adhesive itself. Lexus instructions give specific instructions on how the adhesive is to be applied.
parts_adhesive2.jpg

No.1 and No.2 upper retainers, on the body and glass to hold it in place while the adhesive cures. Should make sure the glass keeps the 4mm gap between the glass and body at the top. A-pillar interior and exterior trim clips to make sure things are tight.
parts_clips1.jpg

Upper moulding and adhesive dam. The adhesive dam is very rarely used by glass installers I've found. It prevents the adhesive from moving inwards to wards the interior while curing, it also provides a nice guide for laying down the urethane.
parts_weatherstrip1.jpg

Now that I've got all of the parts I'll need, I can start prepping the car to remove the glass, here I've pulled the door sill plates and dash side panels to be able to remove the interior A-pillar trim.
remove_prep2.jpg

After removing these parts I've taped the door sills, sometimes when trying to get a good angle to cut/remove/install the glass this area is stepped on. I didn't want the factory scuff plates or paint scratched or damaged if this happened.
remove_prep3.jpg

Here I've carefully removed the grab handles, sunvisors, dome light assembly, rear view mirror and interior A-pillar trim to slightly drop the headliner and allow more access to cut out the glass without risking a nick or cut to the headliner.
remove_prep1.jpg

I then taped the exterior A-pillars, roof and hood around the windshield to prevent scratching the paint when removing/installing the mouldings or glass, and to prevent any adhesive from getting on the paint if there is a mistake while installing the glass. The wiper arms and cowl were also removed to allow access to the glass.
remove_prep5.jpg

Glass removed. While I have done this myself in the past, I had someone come and do this one step for me. Mainly because of how close the glass is to the body at the top of the windshield (4mm gap) on the Lexus. I didn't want to risk damaging the body, while I don't normally trust glass people, I do know one person with the tools who takes his time and doesn't damage anything, if I wasn't installing it myself, I'd have gotten him to do it for sure.
removed1.jpg

Covered it up for the weekend so nothing gets in.
removed3.jpg

JDM tyte!
install_japansticker1.jpg

So after opening up the new factory glass, I found that the new glass had the factory-style 1-piece stopper clips already installed on the glass. The ones I previously posted (2-piece), are to be used when reusing the glass I guess, or if you wanted to use them on aftermarket glass I guess you could. You can see the markings on the glass for positioning the stoppers.
install_factory_stoppers.jpg

The first step to prep the glass is to apply glass primer to all of the areas where adhesive is going to be applied, this includes where the upper moulding and adhesive dam go. After applying the primer and letting it dry for 3 minutes, I installed the upper moulding and adhesive dam to the glass, making sure to take careful measurements so it all went in the right place.
install_dam1.jpg

I then test fit the glass in the car to make sure it was correct, the factory upper stoppers worked beautifully to position the glass, and after a slight adjustment to the right it was sitting perfect.
install_testfit1.jpg

After the successful test fit, I cut the tip for the urethane to a V-shape as per Lexus' instructions. Using a V-shape actually makes it easier to apply an even bead as well I've found versus using a round bead. V-shape: 8mm x 12mm high, though it actually ends up being about 6-7mm wide as you go, which is on par Lexus' instructions stating a 3mm centre-line for the V.
install_adhesive2.jpg

You can see that once the glass is in place, there is almost no excess. The upper stoppers again held the glass in place and I had marks for left/right position so that it would also be perfect. Here you can see the side area and the perfect amount of urethane without any excess to bond to the side moulding, etc.
install_adhesive3.jpg

Here you can see the glass installed with the new blue side moulding clips installed on each side. These are to be removed/replaced when changing the windshield. They are basically 1-time use clips and I had to replace them all.
install_incar2.jpg

Finally after waiting the prescribed 5-hours for curing, the car was ready to drive. New windshield installed, all interior put back in, no excess urethane, nothing scratched or cut. I didn't even get any urethane on my hands (a first) while doing this installation. I am very pleased to say the least.
install_complete1.jpg

Jeff

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Very nice and meticulous work Jeff. I love seeing people take the time to do a job properly and with their own two hands.

A question for you. I'm not familiar with the adhesive dam. I get the purpose of it but how do you use it. Does it adhere to the glass, with something like double sided tape, on the inside line of where the urethane adhesive will go, and then get installed permanently with the glass?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Yes one side has adhesive applied, you pull the backing off and apply it to the glass. It gets installed with the glass to prevent the adhesive from spreading in towards the interior of the car. :)

Jeff

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Way to go Jeff. There isn't a need to apply pressure to the windshield while the adhesive that is used dries?

On another note, on the IS300, the model before yours, what are the main model specific things you would look for when buying a used one besides maintainece records.

Is the 2JZ-GE VVT-i an interference motor, I know the 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE are not. The belt and water pump would be the first things I will check.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Gravity does most of the work after pressing it into place, there's no need to continue to apply pressure.

There are no specific common issues I'm aware of on the IS300 beyond normal wear and tear and look for anything modified and/or damaged. The 2JZ-GE is not an interference engine, even with VVT-i. :)

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well done sir, well done. I found the section in the TSRM on the Mk3 while looking for something a couple weeks ago, and took a gander through it. Interesting read, to say the least.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Did you use extreme caution closing your doors during this cure time, if you closed them at all? Back in the day, I delivered LOF glass (makers of Toyota "LN) to retail glass shops. I have watched it being done a many a times, but never done it myself. As with anything, there are good and bad installers, but you just don't get to pick who you get at the shop you pick. For the most part speed dominates the deal.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I didn't open or close the doors for several hours after installing the glass. If I had, I would have opened the windows to prevent pressure from pushing the glass out. :)

Jeff

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
I've worked as a manager in a shop that specializes in automotive glass replacement. What can i say, more than often the quality of work and stupidity of workers were greatly below average. But... Looking from another side. Many clients just wanted to get their car back asap. They didn't care if the glue was dry or the windshield was set properly. They didn't care that you can't wash the car or drive on rough roads for one day. Stupidity is also a market...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Oh I agree, but people seem to think that glass installers are some sort of wizards, and never try to do it themselves. Seriously if you knew the people doing this work, you'd realize: you can do it yourself! Heh.

Jeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
enjoyer;1858914 said:
We'll you need to have some sort of knowledge of how to replace windshield, but overall it's pretty straight forward. I've done it myself a few times.

Oh I agree, but even if all you do is read and follow the instructions in the repair manual, you can do a pretty darn good job.

Some people aren't great at following instructions I guess, which could pose a problem.

Jeff

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
You can't blame the installers for a bad job. People want cheap and fast, so that's what they get. People have decided they don't want to pay people to become career tradesmen any more, so you get minimum wage monkeys working on your cars.
I'm quite surprised a former manager of a glass installation business would say it was the installers and not realise the pathetic wages auto staff get paid is a big part of it, as is being pushed to do 10 hours work in an 8 hour day.
But, it's easier to blame others for poor management skills, rather than blaming management.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Heh, that's not true. Glass instalers ware pretty much guys with no experiance, exept a few older ones. As for wages, they were getting more per month than me, so... If anything, than i should be disapointed and angry about payments. Theyr monthly pay was much greater than average in the country. Of course, different countries equals different markets,rules and financial situations.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Typhoon;1859273 said:
You can't blame the installers for a bad job. People want cheap and fast, so that's what they get. People have decided they don't want to pay people to become career tradesmen any more, so you get minimum wage monkeys working on your cars.
I'm quite surprised a former manager of a glass installation business would say it was the installers and not realise the pathetic wages auto staff get paid is a big part of it, as is being pushed to do 10 hours work in an 8 hour day.
But, it's easier to blame others for poor management skills, rather than blaming management.

My comments were not about why the installers were bad at their job. I know why they are bad at their job, and it is exactly what you stated. I'm also not blaming anyone, I'm just stating the facts.

To read and follow instructions takes time and to do a good job takes attention to detail. If you want to make it in a business where people want fast and cheap, you need to be fast and cheap. That doesn't buy you much in the way of quality.

In short: I agree with you, but you don't need to blame management or installers, you need to put the blame where it lies: customers. If we're going to blame anyone that's who it will be. People who don't care what kind of job they get, then it makes people like me look like an asshole for expecting a half-decent job, and I get told I'm being too picky because the rest of their customers take their crap work and pat them on the back for a job well done.

Still, placing blame correctly doesn't fix the fact that most glass installers are crap at their job. Saying why they're bad doesn't change the fact that their bad. They just are.

Jeff