Infinity Basslink II.... my impressions and some questions

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Hey guys, I recently got an Infinity Basslink II for my Supra.... got a KILLER deal on it! I've listened to both the original Basslink and (obviously) the Basslink II in my car. The II sounds 100X better than the original.... none of the muddy sound the original often produced (I'm not the only one who notced that either).

I've gotten it all wired in and have been going easy on it for a bit to break it in. I have yet to actually bolt it down though since I'm not 100% sure about placement.

Currently, I have it mounted facing vertically and sitting right behind the rear seats in the center of the cabin. Is this the best place for a sub in our cars? I'm having a little bit of a difficult time picturing how the air is going to be moving with the hatch and all.

I figured verticle was the best bet for me as I do still use my trunk on occassion and the sould is less likely to be disrupted by bags or luggage then. But should I leave it against the back seat or move it further back and perhaps put it on a wedge? To aim it more toward the ceiling above the passenger seats?

Here's the product page:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='BASSLINK+II'&Ser=BSL&Cat=PSU

As for my personal opinion on it so far.... I've turned it up a couple times now and I find it to be VERY impressive. It also, surprisingly, fills in the gap left by the Kenwood's I replaced my 4 stock speakers with. I still intend on installing some 6.5" or even 5" speakers at some point, but it's not big on my priorities any more.

I'm not a big bass head, but it did even manage to impress two of my friends who are. Granted, they'd still prefer something along the lines of 3 12"s and a few thousand Watts of power. I was VERY surprised to find that my father (I used his garage when I installed it) actually heard the bass inside at the opposite end of his house.... it wasn't even turned up much at that point, I just had my windows open.

I listen to just about every type of music out there so responsiveness was a MAJOR factor in my deciding on a sub. This sub is very responsive, keeps up quite well with opera, industrial, rock, rap and taiko drums.:bigthumb:

Now, if you want my opinion on the original Basslink...... avoid it.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Syris said:
i thought they were designed mainly to be able to sit under your seats and perform well there

Not unless you're driving a bus.... there are a couple units out there like that, but the Basslink series are all way to big for that. It's got one square 10" woofer and on the opposite side is a 10" passive radiator. I can't find the exact dimensions, but they're not small at all.

If I had to guess I'd say they're something like 16" x 18" x 8".... that's just a bad guess though.

EDIT: Well, I wasn't too far off, here: Dimensions (L x W x H): 15-1/16" x 8-3/4" x 15-5/16"

That doesn't include the mounts though, those'll add another 1.5" to 2" to either the height or the width depending on how you mount it.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
loki2043 said:
do u got the targa? if so, hows that work out... and sound?

Sorry, no. Hardtop here. Mounted on top of the plywood over the spare would be too high. Although it *might* fit if installed vertically over on the side of the trunk. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow... most likely won't happen until Thursday though.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
lintlars said:
I got the same nice unit in my Supra nice unit, fairly light but does not sound as good as a nice sub setup but I wanted to be able to remove when at the track so I went with this unit,

So you have the Basslink II? Have you heard the first version? I couldn't believe the difference. How have you got yours mounted? Horizontal or vertical? And where is it placed?

I've found the sound to be just as clean as most of the boxes my friends have, just no where near as loud. It's not quiet though, not by a longshot. And it definitely kicks the $H!^ out of every bass tube I've ever heard.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
interesting stuff. we slapped an original basslink in a friend's supra and it was just OK....from my exp. my bazooka amplified tube is a ton better....then again, in the supra you need to move the crossover freq up quite a bit to get the freq not covered by the puny speakers....ends up sounding a touch muddy, but it'll work.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Yeah, I wasn't the least bit impressed with the original Basslink..... muddy as hell depending on how the crossover was set. I've heard both in my car and in the store, there's a big difference. The Basslink II fills in the missing mid range bass quite well, but I do intend on putting some 6.5" speakers in the doors, eventually, and then readjusting the crossover on the sub. As it is now, it's not muddy at all.