immobilizer stuck on

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
So I threw a battery in my car today to start it up. Im trying to get it into the body shop for some paint. As I remember now, if my car sits without a battery when I put one back in the immobilizer arms itself, and I have lost the fob. I think Im SOL and my only option is to get a new alarm installed. Anyone have any ideas?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If there isnt that toggle. Just cut the power wire to the alarm. Or wait for it to go off.

Using the key in the door or ign doesnt shut it off>? Most usually work like that.

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
yea sorry it is an aftermarket alarm. At least i think it is. Im not really sure to be honest its just always been there. I dont think I have a toggle switch. Anyone have a pic of a stock alarm key fob??

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
yes it is definatly aftermarket. No switch but there is a button. I tried pressing it and turning the key, holding it and turning the key, pressing it 3 times and turning the key, removed the fuse and still nothing. They told me at future shop that they can take the old one out and put a new one in that works and my problem will be solved

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
New clifford 20x or something is like 250 or something. Comes with the fancy remote and everything.

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I think Im just going to get a basic alarm/immobilizer put in. I only drive this car in the summer, hardly ever park it where I cant see it and it stays in the garage at night. And the cheap basic one here in RIP OFF LAND (aka Canada) is $149, the fancy pants ones are $400+

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
hmmm, its pretty old. I looked around and I cant spot what brand it is, or what model. no markings at all really

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Many of them will not arm if you open the car doors, hatch, and hood before putting the connections back on the battery. Does it actually activate the siren, or just refuse to start?

If it activates a siren, try turning the ign on and off quickly 10 times, that should shut up a compustar, anyway.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Some different procedures I have seen for aftermarket alarms are,
1. put key in the ignition do not turn wait for beep after 5 or 10 seconds
2. Turn key to acc pos and wait for 5 to 10 seconds for beep
3. hold button for 5 to 10 seconds with key in and try again with key out and again key in acc.
4. unhook battery negative for 10 mins. put key in ignition in acc pos and connect the battery. This is not a good idea as you can get a large spark and surge the system but as a last chance it sometimes works. I have never had a problem with it but have heard people say it can fry an ecu.
5. As grim said open all doors hatch and hood and reconnect batter. Leave battery unhooked for 10 mins before trying.
6. lock and unlock both the driver and passenger door with the key then try. Sometimes one of the key turn detectors (forgot the name) will be bad, ie say the drive one is bad you can use the passenger one. Locking with the key should make the other door lock too.
7. There is normally a fuse near the alarm module, pull the fuse and the module will disarm itself, but if the ignition wire was cut and goes through the module you will have to rewire that wire back to itself. Most of the wires should be tapped into not actually cut but the ignition wire is cut and run through the module on a lot of setups.

Gl let us know what happens.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If it's a GOOD aftermarket alarm, it uses a jumper harness that's easy to remove, and a few wire taps. Had to remove a dealer installed one on my dad's Camry because it decided to pull this crap. Took me a couple hours, but it wasn't hard.

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Well what I did was by-pass the ignition with a toggle and 10 feet of wires. Rather than dick around with it Im going to get it painted and then take it into the alarm shop for a new one that I have the fob for. Thanks for all the helpful advice guys