im surprised this forum didnt take off

NeoJester

Banned
May 2, 2005
Emo
i guess being as just much of a gearhead as im in love with music and audio equipment i thought there might be some more supra owners that were like me in that respect. as intesive as the making the car fast and even making it look pretty, an audio system is just as detailed and in depth. i hope maybe someone will see my thread who maybe is just as involved in car audio as me and start up some conversations. and also if any one has audio system question let me know i have quiet alot of experiance with it, while im not the guru of all things audio i do offer my help :)

P.S. i know there are people pn here that are very knowledgeable about audio and probally know more then me, main thing i was getting at was the lack of attension this new area has gotten. :)

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
As a "New Posts" kinda guy, I rarely explore the forum unless I am looking for something specific. I didn't even know that this section existed. I too am into audio although I don't really have money for it.

However, in an attempt to start conversation:

I am always dissappointed in the sound quality in my car (mid-range.) My subwoofer drowns everything out (10' max caliber) and when I turn it down the speakers in the front still sound like crap. I have alpines or focal's in there right now, I was told they were pretty high end when I installed them about 4 years ago. The problem is that they are only in the doors, the rear speakers exploded because I was not aware that (through a mix-up) only the front speakers were upgraded back in the day. As a result, I desperately need to upgrade my system and I wonder what kind of speakers you would suggest in the back.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Anomili said:
As a "New Posts" kinda guy, I rarely explore the forum unless I am looking for something specific. I didn't even know that this section existed. I too am into audio although I don't really have money for it.

I must admit to most often being a new posts button pusher. I look around though when people are being boring, or its 3am and the new posts change once every half hour or so. Id say most ppl here turn the radio way down to either:
1. Find out whats wrong with the car
2. Make sure nothing new is wrong
3. Hear the motor
4. Hear the turbo spool or bov hit
5. Listen for mustangs in the area to embarrass.

NeoJester

Banned
May 2, 2005
Emo
in answer to your question about speakers, the 3 brands i would recommend specialy having done 11 different supra sound systems. JL's sound the best, next i would say Memphis, then Kenwood. now you have to remember 9 times out 10 your speakers blow because of a lack of power, if u really want to get the true quality and loudness out of your speakers for mids and highs you need an amplifer with a cross-over, or an amplifer and a seperate crossover(tho most car audio amps come with crossover built in) then if u were to get into what amps would be good to run your speakers i think there is a little bigger range in what is a quality amp, the JL's still are i think best brand specialy for the price, next i would say alpine/coustic/kicker all do a very good job. if ur speakers are getting drownd out and when not getting drownd out sound like crap i suggest all around speakers powerd by a multi channel amp. now if u have a 89 like mine you have 6 speakers that are all 4 1/2".

NeoJester

Banned
May 2, 2005
Emo
to go of on what other supra owners are doing thats true sadly but i kinda go by the "hear no evil = is no evil" theory, lol. i love car audio just as much as i like car performance. personally that is

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i'm a big audio nut too..... i just put a modest sounding .. some-what custom stereo in my car, but i'm no where near done. i was hoping to post in here much more once i'm finished my stereo.

i was one of those punk kinds 10 yrs ago that used to go to all the car audio competitions, entered the local ones even.... would sit at a stop light thumping at 145db and pissing off all the old ladies around me LOL .... (all in the supra too) .... i got to re-do my stereo setup 4 times because it was broken into 4 times before i finally gave up.... each time it got bigger and badder, but at the expense of my sanity. i had to park outside, so i bought a pager alarm, and these kids would keep setting off my alarm until i would not run out to check on the car so they could break into it, so i would have to run out there everytime with a baseball bat. sometimes i'd sit in the bushes and hide waiting for them... LOL

anyhow ya i'm definately a lover of car audio and i hope this forum gets more attention, i'll definately be posting in here more often.

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
hah well i have a alpine head unit hooked up to a alpine 12" Type R speaker <type r like ricer:)> and a JL audio 1200 watt amp.. it has the bump when i need it but that was like 3 times i think and ive had the sytem in the car 1 year. i listen to the open dp;) and bov, but i will admit if i didnt have my speaker out that one night a while back becsue i went to do donuts in the parking lot i would have never heard my rod knock...lol its good and bad but the 7M is alot better station.... AT TIMES:)

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
I like a good sounding system. It's just that hearing music loud (the way it was intended) and driving fast don't mix well, imo. Also, the mkiii Supra is not an ideal plataform for a truly good sounding setup: small, poorly placed speakers, road and body noises, lots of exhaust noise, etc. You could go custom, which means expensive, and likely heavy. And most Supra owners will go for performance mods before adding the weight to a hefty car, plus the added cost. Ymmv.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i remember contemplating buying an extra targa roof ... cutting 4 holes in it, and installing another 4 subwoofers with a plexi-enclosure on top just for SPL competitions LOOOOL. a bolt-on box right above your head to rattle shit out of brains (or the SPL mic).

i was pretty stupid back then LOOL

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
supraman7mgte said:
As far as stereo systems are concerned,is does not pay to advertise.

sage advice from supraman7mgte

I lived in So. FL more than 20yrs. Its common to get hijacked, so ya made sure the stereo was turned down low at the stoplights, or in any ghetto like liberty city.

Once near little haiti, i saw a (fine) black chick walk into the middle of the road and flag down a car. when the car stopped, she walked up to the car and distracted the dude. seconds later 2 ruf and tuff afro puffs just pulled out the gats, and ya guessed it- almost killed him. dude ended up paralyzed from the neck down.

theres a time and place for everything
respect timing is everything.
:3d_frown:

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
GotBoost? said:
I like a good sounding system. It's just that hearing music loud (the way it was intended) and driving fast don't mix well, imo. Also, the mkiii Supra is not an ideal plataform for a truly good sounding setup: small, poorly placed speakers, road and body noises, lots of exhaust noise, etc. You could go custom, which means expensive, and likely heavy. And most Supra owners will go for performance mods before adding the weight to a hefty car, plus the added cost. Ymmv.

You're right for sure about the supra being poorly designed for acoustics, especially with a big exhaust. That's one reason I plan to get one of those electric dump pipes for sure.

Next time I redo my exhaust I'm going to put a simple 2" exhaust from the cutout-back with a stock looking dual tailpipe, full cat and quiet muffler so I can listen to my Bethoven and Mozart for long trips. Then when I feel like revving her up over 3-4k I'll pop open the dump pipe and let her rip ;)

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
born2drv said:
You're right for sure about the supra being poorly designed for acoustics, especially with a big exhaust. That's one reason I plan to get one of those electric dump pipes for sure.

Next time I redo my exhaust I'm going to put a simple 2" exhaust from the cutout-back with a stock looking dual tailpipe, full cat and quiet muffler so I can listen to my Bethoven and Mozart for long trips. Then when I feel like revving her up over 3-4k I'll pop open the dump pipe and let her rip ;)

Do elaborate--sounds very interesting! Pics?