"Illegal Exhaust" In Virginia

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
So I finally got my frist ticket on the Supra after having owned it 3 years now. It's a noise violation. I was pulled over by a state cop and, luckily and surprisingly, he wasn't a jerk. I figure the reason I got pulled over now is cause it's the end of the month and they have to meet their quotas, but all the same I figured I'd look into this a little bit.

What exactly is the rule on exhaust? I talked to the cop a little and he said that it has to sound stock. I live in Lynchburg, VA, and if anyone has cruised through here you'll notice, like anywhere else I suppose, every other civic, cavalier, or neon to have a soda can sized plus exhaust, not to mention a couple camaros and mustangs that have straight pipes, and of course our towns pride and joy, miniature mudding machines with their crappy exhausts, so why aren't they constantly being pulled over if this is the case?

Just thought I'd get the word. I'm probably gonna sell the Supra soon anyways, but for future reference I suppose.

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
We have been saying the same thing. We were all in a line going to a meet and a cop passed the loudest car in the group, a Mustang, and went for a quieter Supra. I've just added it to the extremely long list of reasons why I hate this state. I can't wait to move back to Texas where happiness is legal!

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Here in california, its not the looks of the exhasut, but more of the sound level. Sound from the exhaust must be under 90 dB, I think. And like you guys, I always wonder why they don't pull over the loud mustangs/camaros running Borla's and straight pipes which sound way luder than some Supras I've heard.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
That's the biggest thing that's bugging me. You can get a harley from factory that sounds like I'm running straight from the header, but my car's illegal? I thought it was especially funny when the guy said he's usually pretty leniant toward exhaust.

It sucks, I was completely polite, understanding, and outgoing, and I still get stuck with a ticket. I can either get rid of the car or switch out the exhaust before the trial to get it waived, which while it's not a big deal or a lot of money, this isn't something I want to deal with. As fun as it is to convince people I drive a probe and then run and smoke them, I'm really starting to fancy the STi. :D

Is there an actual dB level in VA we have to be below? Or is it free for interpretation and something I stand no chance of arguing?

Supradude7mgte

Throttle happy teenager..
Oct 14, 2008
Norfolk VA
oooooo i wanna know this one.

i really have no prob at all though because my exhaust has a really nice tone. but then again back in wisconsin i used to drive a 87 benz with just headers for a year. its the nature of the cops, and the environment surrounding them. Party towns, just plain redneck cops, everything is affected

Time to get resonators haha. Actually, like I said before, most cops here are biased. I worked with retired VA beach cops and Norfolk cops before, and they said they don't pull over muscle cars and harleys because they are loud "stock". Welcome to Virginia hahaha. Our only hope really is to make our cars sound like v8s and hope they think it's a camaro!:joshers:

skipbarber

2008 Grassroots Challenge
Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
What kind of exhaust setup do you have right now? Do you have a visible muffler? I got a noise ticket here in Va in my AllTrac a while ago. I went to court, told the judge that there was a leak in my exhaust but I had since fixed it. They dropped the charge. From what I understand, It's not the noise level (at least in Va), but they want an "OEM style" exhaust. I had a straight pipe on the AllTrac, and so I put a muffler on that is visible, and haven't had a problem since.

On that note, I drove our Supra for a week around VA with an open downpipe, and never had a problem. soooooo, I dunno!

applesauce

Banned Scammer
Aug 24, 2006
Virginia
they got another one huh! lol! welcome to VA laws. Im the one that got pulled over after the cop passed the loudest car in the group. And I have the lowest tone Exhaust... There is no db level in VA, its more of a "who do i feel like pulling over today" thing. To be honest it is more of a visual thing. If the cop didn't see my shiny HKS 5.5 inch hi power tucked under my bumper im sure i wouldn't have gotten pulled over. Im just gonna get the Black Magna flow from raptor racing, or HKS super sport. I've driven the car plenty of times after the fact and haven't got pulled over.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
must've been the cop on my ass. i pointed him in your direction to get him off my case :D

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
skipbarber;1191982 said:
What kind of exhaust setup do you have right now? Do you have a visible muffler? I got a noise ticket here in Va in my AllTrac a while ago. I went to court, told the judge that there was a leak in my exhaust but I had since fixed it. They dropped the charge. From what I understand, It's not the noise level (at least in Va), but they want an "OEM style" exhaust. I had a straight pipe on the AllTrac, and so I put a muffler on that is visible, and haven't had a problem since.

On that note, I drove our Supra for a week around VA with an open downpipe, and never had a problem. soooooo, I dunno!
I'm actually not entirely sure to be honest. I picked it up a few years ago from a listing on Supramania, and under the description you could see "Unknown exhaust." It looks like just about every common 4" exhaust that any company puts out, but if you guys wanna take a crack at identifying it for me feel free. :D

p1206645_1.jpg

p1206645_2.jpg

Clip;1192200 said:
must've been the cop on my ass. i pointed him in your direction to get him off my case :D
Jackass.
jmanbball;1191774 said:
Should have asked him what a stock supra sounds like.
That's actually a very good question. I thought of looking for one of the JDM Type R supras to see if they were any louder just so I could say it sounds stock. :p

I guess if nothing else I could just fly around all over the place from now on so it's quiet as hell with all the boost. :D

devil358

in ur sink
Apr 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
I've got an RSR GTII exhaust on my 1JZ MK3 and I've gotten 4 tickets for it...and you're right, it's not as loud as motor cycles and muscle cars, but the last time, I got pulled, I got an honest cop...

I got pulled on interstate 95 on a sunday afternoon. He said on a sunday, there's no traffic and nothing really going on....so they just sit out and look for shit like that....he noticed me because my car was loud, but pulled me because of the fact that my muffler was obviously not stock. He also told me that just about everyone these days runs with a muffler like this and he would not have pulled me if I had some sort of sound "attenuation" (my silencer) installed. Technically, anything in the state of Virginia that is not O.E.M., or ruled as OEM equivelent is considered illegal, but the canister style mufllers get the most attention.

I hope this clears up the question you have....would be very difficult to fight this off in court....you are in the "commonwealth" of VA....meaning the commoner's wealth belongs to the state...good luck.....

I've gotten to the point where I just call mine in and pay them as they happen because...well....to hell with "the man"....am I going to put a stock exhaust system on my turbo supra? Hell no!....so yeah...my 2 cents....

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Here in FL, its the same thing.. They give you an improper equipment ticket.. The kicker part is I cant find a single law here that states that I have to retain an OEM or OEM replacement exhaust... I've only been pulled once for my exhaust volume but left with a verbal warning cause I told the cop that it was loud like that cause there was a hole that developed in the exhaust the other day and I couldn't fix it until my next paycheck. He accepted that answer and let me go....

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
tbcmorris;1213618 said:
In connecticut the law is no modifaction to the stock exhaust whatsoever :(

Hmmm, So what happens when it rotts out (especially being in Connecticut and the salt roads in the winter) and its out of production????? What, you have to junk the car now?!?!?