ignition for 89 N/A-T

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
I know with my wiring harness n ecu that ima have to stay with the distributor.. But i was wondering if the was anything like some type of msd setup i could get that would help boost the spark ... any :1zhelp: would be great , thanks

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
MSD OR ACCELL makes piggyback programmable ignitions. You don't even diconnect your original coil it just plugs into the amplifier and it sends a hotter spark and adjusts for detonation. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet somebody out there has. It seems to me it would work well with an NA<T especially with the adjustability. I see them advertised in the various sport comopact magazines.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Depends on how much boost you're planning to run.

I used a modded NA distributor and a Hyundai Coil and Igniter and had no problems at 10 psi, I'll use this same setup in my next project.

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
8-12 psi is what im looking to run around , im gettin a mhg & arp headstuds in soon !! what was the customing on that distributor IJ ???

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I removed a bunch of the lobes from the reluctor so it would have 6 firing events to trigger a standalone ECU.

I'm not sure if MSD have an amplifier that will be a lplugNplay using the stock NA ignition though.

On my new motor I've been running 2 x MSD Dis4 amplifiers and 6 x MSD CDI coils but this is an extreme case.

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
IJ. said:
I removed a bunch of the lobes from the reluctor so it would have 6 firing events to trigger a standalone ECU.

I'm not sure if MSD have an amplifier that will be a lplugNplay using the stock NA ignition though.

On my new motor I've been running 2 x MSD Dis4 amplifiers and 6 x MSD CDI coils but this is an extreme case.

did u use a n/a wiring harness with that standalone ecu ??

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
suprabad said:
MSD OR ACCELL makes piggyback programmable ignitions. You don't even diconnect your original coil it just plugs into the amplifier and it sends a hotter spark and adjusts for detonation. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet somebody out there has. It seems to me it would work well with an NA<T especially with the adjustability. I see them advertised in the various sport comopact magazines.

Genuine MSD Digital 6 Plus Programmable Performance Ignition Module with 2 Stage Rev Limiter and High Speed RetardModel #6520

THE most popular digital ignition module available. REALLY improves spark charcteristics. Expect a smoother idle, quicker throttle response, MORE horsepower, and even a little better gas mileage! The module is designed with a capacitive discharge to produce hotter, stronger, MULTIPLE sparks per power cycle. This improved spark helps burn the fuel mixture more efficiently resulting in a smooth idle and improved mid range rpm power. This is good insurance and should be mandatory for cars with high compression, forced induction and/or nitrous, as detonation from a weak spark will ruin your engine faster than you think. The MSD Digital-6 Plus Ignition Control embraces advanced digital technology to take performance ignitions into the future. No other digital ignition can match the power and efficiency of the all new MSD Digital-6 Plus.
5pixspa.gif
MSD combines race winning experience with cutting edge technology to create the most powerful Digital Ignition available! The Digital-6 Plus is Digital Done Right!
5pixspa.gif
MSD engineers have spent an endless amount of time testing the components of the Digital-6 Plus to ensure the most efficient and reliable operation. The 6 Plus produces more power with less current draw (20% less) by incorporating an IGBT coil driver that can be controlled for improved coil saturation. Also, power MOSFET technology and high frequency magnetic converters require less input current while producing more energy and voltage.
5pixspa.gif
Every spark of the Digital-6 Plus ignition is packed with 135 millijoules of spark energy and up to 535 volts. When used with the
MSD Blaster HVC Coil, PN 8252, a spark with over 300 milliamps burns across the plug gap for 400 microseconds. Below 3,300 rpm the Digital-6 Plus produces a series of sparks that glows in the cylinder for up to 20° of crankshaft rotation. This incredible heat ensures combustion to produce great power, quick throttle response, smooth idle and quick starts.
5pixspa.gif
To prevent any chance of Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) a filter circuit is made up of state-of-the-art magnetic suppressor components. This, combined with the more than competent microcontroller, checks and rechecks inputs many times to determine “clean” signals before making any compensations. The magnetic input also features a unique microcontrolled feedback circuit for total EMI-free operation. The legendary Digital 6 module is also fully legal to sell and install in all 50 states. Works with most 12-18 volt negative ground electrical system on any 4, 6, or 8 cylinder distributor type car. Works with points, electronic ignition or magnetic pick up device. Dont buy cheap knock off "PROCOMP" junk. Firstly, its clearly a copy, down to the font in "ignition". That to me speaks of poor engineering. If you cant improve or make something unique, why bother? Second, its a lousy quality made in China pile! And I can gaurantee your customer service and technical assistance will be non-existant. Get the real deal for your performance car. Is it worth saving a couple bucks if it leaves you stranded on the side of the road? Or if it fails while your spraying that 150 shot of N2O? Not to us. Comes with detailed instructions, extra-length wiring harness, connectors, hardware, anti-vibration mounts, MSD and CARB approved stickers, and warranty info. Fairly straight forward installation. Module comes in MSD Red. !

only thing i was wondering is if MSD make a ignition coil for a N/A & if im able to use that blaster coil ???

Attachments

• f4_1_b.jpg
    f4_1_b.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 5

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Chucky: Hardest part is sorting out the Toyota wiring as they have their own way of doing things that doesn't always make sense at first glance!

The first Standalone install I did on the Mk3 took me 3>4 days most of that sorting what was controlled by the stock ECU now it would probably take 1>2.

Left overs/deleted wiring!