Idles Rich 9-10 as soon as you hit gas, floods cylinders then dies *Ideas/help*

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Ok, 1.5JZ Swap 550cc Walbro Pump Single Turbo OEM Computer, SAFC, & Greddy BCC.

I was driving home from work yesterday and it stalled out on me when coming to a stop sign. I start it up it ran rough, and if i tap the gas lightly it started to move but then flooded and died. I've come to the conclusion it may be the TPS or MAP sensor, but I need help looking for diagrams to test both of these. Any help would be appriciated

PROBLEM FOUND & SOLVED: BAD CPS CONNECTOR AT REAR OF HEAD WITH BROKEN WIRE. FIX? BUY NEW CONNECTOR & WIRE AS ITS BROKEN RIGHT AT THE CONNECTOR HOUSING. I'm not in the mood to try and de-pin it.

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
What computer are you using? I assume a 2JZ computer.

It is most likely your map sensor, trace all the wiring back to the computer and make sure nothing is shorting out. Any codes?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
1JZ ECU - recapped a little over a year ago.

Wiring was checked over by the ECU, SAFC, & Greddy BCC all are perfect, plus i wiggled the wiring to see if the connectors inside the housing were no good, but they are good.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
Sounds like when my map sensor went bad. Have you tired unplugging it while it was running?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
chris_2jz;1777439 said:
Sounds like when my map sensor went bad. Have you tired unplugging it while it was running?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Actually, no i haven't tried that. I'll go try that in a bit my friend is coming here with a spare map sensor to test

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
ok, changed out map sensor, it didn't die this time ... right away. It did when i reved it up a bit though. I changed it back to mine and changed the throttle position sensor and this is what it does.

http://youtu.be/JQHHVx0lW8U

at 11 seconds is when it started to act up free revving. It then felt like it cut off and dropped down to 400rpms all while i was holding the gas then it pics right back up. My throttle position sensor is now off most likely.

It does die sometimes but if i hold the gas it kind of "pushes" thru and then continues to rev up.

I did not change ANYTHING before this happened. I do not have any CEL Codes... I need to adjust the TPS now but do not have the specs, anyone care to point me in the right direction?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
IBoughtASupra;1778081 said:

I didn't adjust the TPS yet, waiting for my friend to come by with the multimeter & feeler gauge, i am going to go outside and check the wiring harness while i wait, make sure nothing is messed up by the ecu and i'm going to check the ECU again to see if anything is damaged.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You shouldn't really touch the TPS. Try the MAP sensor first. I have unplugged the TPS and rotated on JZs and it doesn't really affect the air to fuel ration as much. The MAP sensor is the what really determines load.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
IBoughtASupra;1778486 said:
You shouldn't really touch the TPS. Try the MAP sensor first. I have unplugged the TPS and rotated on JZs and it doesn't really affect the air to fuel ration as much. The MAP sensor is the what really determines load.

ok this is what i've done, adjusted TPS, I tried my friends ECU and it idled and revved perfect. I decided to plug my ECU in and see if it made a difference... well it did, immediately got 2 codes 13 & 22... i checked those.... I then disconnected the battery again and connected my friends ECU... it reved up and down and sounded like crap but had no CEL ... i'll have videos in a bit im uploading them now

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
How are your funds? If you could, get a ProEFI 48 ECU with a pin kit and make your own harness. It runs less than you think.

If you want to take the guess work out of stuff, get the AEM plug an play kit and just tune your car. You have a lot of power to unlock with the 3.0L bottom end.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
IBoughtASupra;1778532 said:
Was it doing that by itself with your friend's ECU?

Yes it was bouncing and revving high all by itsself..

I don't have the funds right now. I'm going to find a place to put it then just take the bus for the winter or pickup a daily. Then come tax return i'll throw a standalone in there vs buying another ECU if it is infact an ECU problem...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Corolla for a daily! I tell everyone this.

Get the standalone man. It's worth it when it comes to 1JZ ECUs. The next 1JZ swap I do will be ran off a 2JZ computer to avoid the bad ECUs.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
IBoughtASupra;1778540 said:
Corolla for a daily! I tell everyone this.

Get the standalone man. It's worth it when it comes to 1JZ ECUs. The next 1JZ swap I do will be ran off a 2JZ computer to avoid the bad ECUs.

Yea man, this is just annoying, i was daily driving my supra because my other daily was crashed... =/ o well i'll just wait it out