Idle up to 5k

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I have a custom fabricated FFIM and RMR Throttle Body. Once everything was installed I fired it up. It started and immediately revved to 5k when I shut it down. The throttle plate is closed so its not a cable issue.

I am leaning to the tps. How can I fix this. If the tps is reading a higher throttle, would it still rev all the way up with the throttle plate closed?
Anyone with RMR throttle body? How did you set your tps on it.

Your help and input is much appreciated.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I removed the TPS and adjusted. Seth is a great guy and helped me out with that. There is infinite adjustment on RMR.

After this, now the revs bounce up and down to 3.5k.

Now I also noticed a fuel leak possibly coming from fuel rail. Fuel is accumulating on lower runners. During the accelerator cable install I was pressing the pedal alot with car off, would this have anything to do with it?

Let me add this in here to help diagnose the issue. Trying to eliminate possibilities.

There is no longer coolant hose that used to run thru TB.
There is no longer vac hose from IAC to turbo inlet pipe. I have a mini filter on IAC.

Supra is stock ECU running VPC and SAFCII

any help guys

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I adjusted idle screw on RMR tb with no success.

I am thinking the fuel leak may have been caused from the initial startup when it revved up to 5k instantly for a brief period. I cant pinpoint where the leak is coming from and I do not want to turn engine on with a gas leak.

I guess I'll order some injector orings and start there.

any suggestions?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Since you have VPC, then any pirate air will cause the engine to rev. Like I said, your problem is not the TPS, its a secondary input for the ECU. You have a huge air leak or your throttle is not closing properly. The rev bounce is just the trailing throttle fuel cut, perfectly normal when you have a big air leak like this and the IDL signal is activated.

wisetechscottt

Sep 3, 2015
Detroit
Idle will only increase when extra or additional air is present. Either your throttle plate isn't as closed as you think, you idle valve is broke ( try to plug it and see what happens), or a gasket or vacuum line is leaking allowing extra air in.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
There will be additional air as I now upgraded to a massive ffim, 82,5mm tb and bigger ic. Maybe it could all be fixed thru vpc settings? Current settings is what i was using on oem manifold. Could this be contributing to the high idle blips?

wisetechscottt

Sep 3, 2015
Detroit
Your over thinking this. The VPC measures air and the changes fuel trims. It cannot add air. You have an air leak that is allowing additional air into the intake. Is the intake gasket pinching a hose and creating a leak? Have you tried to plug the idle valve? Have you put your hand over the throttle to close off all air going through it?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
No pinched hoses or air leaks that i can find. throttle is closed. I will look into the isv.

However my priority is to repair this fuel leak. It may or may not be associated with the surging idle.

I ordered new o-rings and grommets for the injectors.
Fuel puddling on top of lower runners. It has to be leak at the injectors or rail.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I got the injector o rings...that should take care of the fuel leak.

I will start a new thread regarding the tps.

I will followup here on results.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I replaced the injector o-rings.
I also calibrated the TPS.
I confirmed the ISV is functioning.

Upon start up the idle now bounces between 1k-2k. Now that the idle has come down, I was comfortable allowing it to run while I walked over to the engine bay to inspect.

The good...No more fuel leak..Apparently the o-ring on injectors got frail sittings for 2 years.
The bad...I could hear an air leak and was able to pinpoint it to where upper intake manifold mates to lower intake manifold at cylinder 5 + 6. The bolts are tight so I can only suggest the flanges are not perfectly straight from the guy who fabricated this ffim.

I was thinking of doubling up on gaskets here or using "silicone make a gasket."
What are your thoughts.

I feel once this leak is taken care of, we should be idling just fine.

Thanks guys for your input.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
got the air leak sealed between upper and lower intake runners. I also cleaned up the 02 sensor a bit which was reccommended by a friend. Also added some fuel stabilizer since car has been sitting so long.

Starts right up now flawlessly.
Warm Idle in Park- 1050
Warm Idle in Drive- 780

Idle is still slightly higher then where it used to be at 650 in Drive and I think 900s in Park. I don't see any issues though, idle is stable.

Only issue I have now is when I put gear in D or R, while foot is pressed to brake pedal, There is a slight vibration felt at the pedal and the engine has a audible tone change. Once you get moving it goes away. Any thoughts on this?

Lastly, do I need to re-tune the apexi fuel controller now that I have a much larger intake plenum. The tune I have now was spot on when I was running oem intake manifold.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
You will need to change the Apexi to map instead of maf. It will see the map sensor input.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Vibration is due to plenum touching brake booster.
I leaned out the apexi a bit from previous tune.

Hi boost at 18psi with afr's ranging from 11.1-10.5. Still on the rich side but safe.

Supra pulls very strong!

Thanks for input on my previous issues.

wisetechscottt

Sep 3, 2015
Detroit
Vibration is due to plenum touching brake booster.
I leaned out the apexi a bit from previous tune.

Hi boost at 18psi with afr's ranging from 11.1-10.5. Still on the rich side but safe.

Supra pulls very strong!

Thanks for input on my previous issues.
Glad you got it figured out