Identifying Cams

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I have two sets of cams. One set is out of an 88 7MGE and the other is out of an 86.5 7MGE. I'm not sure if the set out of the 86.5 are stock. Those cams have a "3" on them and are 2mm taller than the 88's. And there are no names stamped in either sets of cams.

My questions are:

Could the set of cams out of the 86.5 be aftermarket or did Toyota use different cams between the years?

And how do you tell the difference between NA cams and turbo cams?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
labrat469 said:
I have two sets of cams. One set is out of an 88 7MGE and the other is out of an 86.5 7MGE. I'm not sure if the set out of the 86.5 are stock. Those cams have a "3" on them and are 2mm taller than the 88's. And there are no names stamped in either sets of cams.

My questions are:

Could the set of cams out of the 86.5 be aftermarket or did Toyota use different cams between the years?

And how do you tell the difference between NA cams and turbo cams?
You should be able to check the TSRM for cam lobe height spec. and see which is which. They maybe the same only one is worn more than the other.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
lol, can't help myself.... Can you post pics of the cams? It's always possible someone put aftermarket cams in...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
cuel said:
lol, can't help myself.... Can you post pics of the cams? It's always possible someone put aftermarket cams in...
If they are reground cams, it would be hard to tell wouldn't it? Mine are regrounds, and I can't tell other than measuring the lobe height. It's easy enought to do with a set of mics. and compare it with the specs. They should be 1.4961 in. Journal diameter should be no.1` 1.0610 to 1.0616, no.2-7 should be 1.0586to 1.0620 inches. Come on cuel you're supposed to be looking this stuff up.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Meh, thought maybe they would have a marking somewhere, or be different from stock in an identifiable way, if they were say, HKS, TRD, or maybe Group A or whatever. Wouldn't the regrinds have a shorter lobe base, or would you be able to see where they did any hard welding to raise the lift and duration? I've never seen one in person. No need for regrinds or hard welding for v-8's, cams are cheap, and made in a very wide range for many different applications. I should be seeing a set of 264 BC cams for the Supra here shortly, though....

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Tomorrow I will get a chance to do some measuring. The only marking on the cams are a number 3. One of the guys down at the shop says they look like stage one cams because of the lobe height. Like I said tomorrow I will measure the cams height and hopefully that will help in identifying them.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
I'm looking to getting a set of crower cams but i'de like to know what the stock 7m-ge lift and duration is so i can compare to the crowers stage 2 and stage 3 cams. I plan on getting the stage 2 cams, Has anyone installed these on their 7m-ge? gains? Added torque? high rpm power? How much hp and torque gained? what will it do to my gas milage? I also plan on using stock vavle sprins and stock cam gears. What does the mild tuning recommended mean? Adjustable cam gears recommended?

Part #: BC0321 CAMSHAFTS - STAGE 2 264/264 (Toyota 7MGTE/7MGE)

"Camshafts designed for Stage 2 applications. Slight lope at idle, does not require aftermarket valve spring. Mild tuning recommended. Price is per pair."

Part #: BC0322 CAMSHAFTS - STAGE 3 272/272(Toyota 7MGTE/7MGE)

"Camshafts designed for Stage 3 applications. Lope at idle, requires aftermarket valve spring and other modifications, plus tuning. Price is per pair."

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
chris89 said:
I'm looking to getting a set of crower cams but i'de like to know what the stock 7m-ge lift and duration is so i can compare to the crowers stage 2 and stage 3 cams. I plan on getting the stage 2 cams, Has anyone installed these on their 7m-ge? gains? Added torque? high rpm power? How much hp and torque gained? what will it do to my gas milage? I also plan on using stock vavle sprins and stock cam gears. What does the mild tuning recommended mean? Adjustable cam gears recommended?

Part #: BC0321 CAMSHAFTS - STAGE 2 264/264 (Toyota 7MGTE/7MGE)

"Camshafts designed for Stage 2 applications. Slight lope at idle, does not require aftermarket valve spring. Mild tuning recommended. Price is per pair."

Part #: BC0322 CAMSHAFTS - STAGE 3 272/272(Toyota 7MGTE/7MGE)

"Camshafts designed for Stage 3 applications. Lope at idle, requires aftermarket valve spring and other modifications, plus tuning. Price is per pair."
Stock is 295 @ .50 lift and 204 @ .50 dur. I have regrounds 322 and 218 @ 50. Don't have the figures on the BC's to compare. Little lope at idle, couldn't say how much added due to all the other mods I did at the same time. Mild tuning means you probably would have to add a piggyback like Apexi II, which I have one for sale, PM if you are interested. I couldn't get it to run without the Apexi, I've switched to Maft-Pro.