I want a 350 v8..

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
Can anyone point me in a helpful direction? I know a few members have this, or at least one that Ive seen. Was thinking about having a local fabricator make the mounts, they specialize in custom automotive fabrication. Just dont know how badly they are going to bend me over for it.

Not to much information about the swap which I cant seem to figure out, seems like it would be worth the trouble to me. Im not interested in a 1jz or 2jz swap and the 7m drivetrain is out of the question for me.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It's been done. You can build so much more power through the use of the turbo......unless you are planning on turboing the 350. Maybe you should do an LS swap. IJ should have all the info you will ever need, as he is doing that now. You won't get any bullshit information from him.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
LSx + T56 swap would be great. 400+rwhp, naturally aspirated, 100% reliable and lighter than the stock drivetrain. I don't know of anyone selling pre-fabbed mounts, but it shouldn't cost too much to get done. I know it fits with plenty of room up front. The T56 idea requires a little trans tunnel work, but IIRC it isn't too extensive.

Good choice, and post pics of the progress!

Feb 1, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Im sorry, but a GM engine in a Supra makes me want to puke.

But ya know what? Do what ever floats your boat man. Just like everything else: It can be done, and you also have the ability to make it a very nice, clean swap.... Or a hack job.

If you do decide to go through with this, keep us posted.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If it's done CLEAN (no POS carb, everything works, no hacked hood) it's alright. Just don't be pissed when an ebay modded 7M kicks your ass...

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Boostedmkiii;1412647 said:
Im sorry, but a GM engine in a Supra makes me want to puke.

But ya know what? Do what ever floats your boat man.

Good luck.

Your sig is huge.

Poodles;1412708 said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If it's done CLEAN (no POS carb, everything works, no hacked hood) it's alright. Just don't be pissed when an ebay modded 7M kicks your ass...

A decently modded, properly done LSX swap would most likely shit on an eBay modded car, and will probably last 10x longer. lol

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
LSx /= 350 SBC

It's like calling a 2J a 7M, sure they have some simularities, but they're WORLDS apart.

Also, an LS1 crate engine + all the work to make it fit and run = one hell of a nasty 7M build.

IJ is the exception not the rule :rofl: A local had a L98 TPI swapped car with the GM auto and nitrous. It was fast, but for the money put into it....wasn't fast enough (3rd gen F-body is lighter, people seem to think japanese = light)

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Are you wanting the lt1 or ls1? Or you could go with the ls9 which is the supercharged zr1 corvette motor, but none of these would be cheap. If you just want a v8 try the 1uz, there are some build threads on here with them.