I swear this is like my third build thread!

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
EDIT: Feb '08 - Most of these pics on the first page are gone now. I lost a hard drive in my server. There really are pics in the thread, just on the next page.

Well, some of you may remember that I bought a super white 89 hardtop shell back in september or so. It was in great condition, having one previous owner who garaged it since 1989. It had been sitting for a little while and some small imperfections when I got it but overall one of the nicest MK3's I'd seen.

It looked like this when I first brought it home:
New_Supra_Right_Rear.sized.jpg

It was an automatic at the time (but not for long :) )
Sweet_Stock_Stereo.sized.jpg

The engine had gotten a BHG, and was stripped down but that didn't matter for my purposes.
Engine_Bay.sized.jpg

There it sat for about 4 months while I straightened out priorities and sold extra cars to make room.

Once I got started I pulled the engine out of my silver 88:
1JZ_Coming_Out.sized.jpg

Then out came the crusty 7MGE from the white 89:
7MGE_Out.sized.jpg

Last edited:

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Upon getting everything out, several items needed addressing.

The crusty old flywheel had to be resurfaced and it was a thing of beauty when I got it back :)

Before:
Old_and_Busted_Flywheel.sized.jpg

After:
Doh! I got fingerprints on it!
New_Hottness_Flywheel.sized.jpg

I also needed a new starter. This one was $76 + Core Charge at Shucks, but on partsamerica.com (Checkers/Shucks/Kragen web site) it was only $56 + core, so I just bought it online with my blackberry from the parking lot and went in to pick it up at a $20 discount :D
New_Starter.sized.jpg

Also, someone had thought it would look good to have the front grille painted lack and I disagreed so I fixed that with some duplicolor super white touch up paint.

Before:
Bumper_Before.sized.jpg

After:
Bumper_After.sized.jpg

Last edited:

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
It was also time to add another pedal under the dash. Toyota was ever-helpful by drilling all the holes and just putting rubber plugs in when they weren't used.

Before:
Pedals_Before.sized.jpg

After:
Pedals_After.sized.jpg

Something's not quite right here ;)
Something_Wrong.sized.jpg

As the JZ people know, the 7M oil pressure sender doesn't fit behind the 1JZ A/C Compressor, so a little adaptage is needed.
I found that NPT and BSPT are essentially the same, except one tapers and the other doesnt. I ran a 1/8" NPT tap through the pressure sender hole in the block and was able to use NPT fittings to make my adapter. The 7M pressure sender even threads into a 1/8" NPT hole, but the first few threads don't engage as they're smaller. I was very liberal with the teflon and it was a little messy but there are no leaks. The other sender is for my aftermarket sender.
Oil_Pressure_Sender_Adapter.sized.jpg

I also tapped the Y-Pipe for my EGT probe. Yes I know, bad place. I'll do it better next time.
EGT_Probe.sized.jpg

Things started taking shape rapidly.
Engine_Going_In_1.sized.jpg

Engine_Going_In_2.sized.jpg

Last edited:

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
After spending some time getting the fuse box all wired up I was pretty well set.

I spent a good afternoon wiring all my gauges and cleaning up things to get ready to drive it.

At long last my new 1JZ moved out under its own power. Sorry for all the crap at my house, I'm in the middle of car swapping and massive junk cleaning out.
IMG_0975.sized.jpg

IMG_0976.sized.jpg

Interior (There's a litte bit of dirt around but I'll be shampooing the carpets soon to clean that al up too:
IMG_0987.sized.jpg

IMG_0984.sized.jpg

tte fiberglass Gauge Pod:
IMG_0977.sized.jpg

The three gauges at night (Yes they're straightened up now):
New_Gauges.sized.jpg

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Unfortunately, disaster struck and after only 10 miles, it started to overheat and long story/troubleshooting short I believe it is due to a cracked water passage due to extreme cold while the engine was sitting.

Luckily I was able to find a very clean looking 1JZ on ebay for only $575 and it's tax time so I ordered that today. When it gets here I'll treat it like a long block and swap all my manifolds and oil pan over and throw it back in.

ebay pics of the engine:
11_1.JPG

47_1.JPG

5e_1.JPG

81_1.JPG

What I've got so far:
1JZ (No Shit)
Blitz Access ECU
SAFC2
Aeromotive FPR
Autometer Cobalt EGT and Boost
Prosport ( http://prosportgauges.com ) electric fuel pressure and oil temperature
5 speed swap
Apex'i muffler on 3" catless exhaust
ACT 6 Puck Clutch

Still to install (mostly swapping from my other car)
Tokico's/Eibachs
E-Code H4 HID's
Euro/JDM Fogs
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
3.73 LSD (Thanks Jake)
Blitz SS BOV (Thanks Pete)
HKS Downpipe (Thanks Joe)

I'll keep this thread up to date while I work on things.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
- Engine is on the truck from Utah.
- Downpipe is on the UPS truck.
- Blitz BOV is still on Pete's car.

Nothing more to report.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Yep, it really took this long.

Posting on SM from the Supra in the garage because I'm super attached to it.

- Blitz BOV installed

- MK4 550's removed

- JDM engine seems to run well.

Few minor issues still:

1) Coolant seems to be going somewhere, hopefully it's just burping itself; I'm really paranoid after what happened to my last engine. pleasepleaseplease just be air bubbles
2) Fuel gauge does not read
3) Oil pressure gauge does not read

Took some inexcusably shitty photos tonight. Will take more when it stops pouring here.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
#2 appeared to be a faulty sender in the tank.

After hooking up the heater VSV and taking a drive I haven't noticed any coolant missing this time so I'm crossing my fingers that that was it.