I No Longer Shop At Autozone

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
that sucks, but it's easy to fix. go to a different store. if something like the NRA boycotts them, they will probably offer the guy his job back.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
You got to look at it as a business point of view.

Plus when he was hired he was told if could not have a weapon on him or could he use one while at work.

Nearly any other large corporate business would have done the same..

Personally people look at it as morals which a business does not. They look at it as we could have been taken for every dime and he is a liability and won't follow the rules.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Well said ^ also have to remember.. let the company lose that damn money they arent there to help you.. kid was young and I still think he did the right thing. Now if it were his own business then this would be the right thing, but a mutil billion dollar corporation... that you do not own... let them suffer the loss of a couple grand!

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
23 year old veteran, seems young....

in all likely-hood, given the notoriety he has received, a better job may find a way to him..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
#04;1897684 said:
in all likely-hood, given the notoriety he has received, a better job may find a way to him..
Good point. They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?

Anyway, on the subject, is your LIFE truly worth what is in your cash register? Keep in mind, someone of the mentality to rob an auto parts store, probably hasn't a reputation for making smart choices. Confronting such an individual when they're armed... probably not your smartest one either.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Turbo Habanero;1897617 said:

Plus when he was hired he was told if could not have a weapon on him or could he use one while at work.

Personally people look at it as morals which a business does not. They look at it as we could have been taken for every dime and he is a liability and won't follow the rules.

Agreed.

When I worked at a gas station chain it was in the hand book that you are not to carry a weapon of any kind and if you are robbed to just hand over what's in the register. Same thing when I worked for Papa Johns.

It's their store and their rules. I wouldn't expect to still have my job if I walked in to work in a speedo (disobeying dress code rules) let alone carrying a loaded firearm into work after being specifically told not to.

I also don't shop at Autozone but this wouldn't have made me stop if I did.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
oldsking;1897679 said:
Well said ^ also have to remember.. let the company lose that damn money they arent there to help you.. kid was young and I still think he did the right thing. Now if it were his own business then this would be the right thing, but a mutil billion dollar corporation... that you do not own... let them suffer the loss of a couple grand!

te72;1897845 said:
Good point. They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?

Anyway, on the subject, is your LIFE truly worth what is in your cash register? Keep in mind, someone of the mentality to rob an auto parts store, probably hasn't a reputation for making smart choices. Confronting such an individual when they're armed... probably not your smartest one either.

Fuck the cash, are you guys missing the point that he saved his coworker's life?!

Fine, let's look at it from a business point of view:

“The company has now sent a message to every would-be robber out there – ‘Hey we’re open for business and unarmed. Come on in and take our money’”.

"Zero tolerance"... I hate that phrase.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal

100% agree with you. I worked for a bank. Bank robbery procedures are part of the training curriculum. Procedures intended to save lives of everyone inside the bank. An employee who tries to play hero during a robbery will be fired. Playing hero is against procedure and policies since it puts others in danger.

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
A. Jay;1899820 said:
Fuck the cash, are you guys missing the point that he saved his coworker's life?!

Fine, let's look at it from a business point of view:

“The company has now sent a message to every would-be robber out there – ‘Hey we’re open for business and unarmed. Come on in and take our money’”.

"Zero tolerance"... I hate that phrase.

So every business should have vigilante gun carrying employees ready to thwart robbery attempts?

Lets put twists into the story. Lets say that the employee's courageous act results in gun fight

Twist A: an employee gets shot
Twist B: an customer gets shot
Twist C: an employee and customer get shot.

Now that there is injury, maybe even death, how would the news report have been written? What would be said about the gun carrying employee's actions and decisions? What comments would have been made by the sheriff? What would the employee with the gun have to say? How should Autozone deal with the situation?

Last edited:

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Well with the way people have reacted to this incident it will cost them more money then it was worth. Both sides are right in this case and another company will be better off showing that they hired this guy.

If the twist happened then people would call him an idiot, but it didnt and he is a hero.

btw... why rob an autoparts store.... like seriously.... are you too stupid to think to rob a toy store before christmas?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
A. Jay;1899820 said:
You said it dude. FUCK THE CASH. I work for Oreilly Auto & its a good job and all but why would i get shot for a multimillion/billion dollar company?
I'm pretty sure the company would rather pay THOUSANDS of dollars to avoid any injuries, deaths, hospilitazions. He actually put his Coworker's life
in jeopardy when he took his gun. his coworker could save his own life by giving the money. As for catching the crook, all we can do is
grab the license plate #. make, model (we work at a parts store for crying out loud we know most vehicles by looking at them.) describe the person best we can.
Most of the time they get caught. Well around here atleast, police crack down HARD around here.

As for why i don't shop at Autozone.... i use to go to Autozone but everytime a part was faulty they wouldn't warrant it. The ass. manager or whoever was in charge would make
bullshit excuses, "explaining how the warranty was voided" & i being a supra owner, know a lot how my engine works. (credits to you guys, for helping me on some subjects) I BURNED him
right infront of his coworkers. Needless to say he warrantied my parts.. This always happens at EVERY Autozone i go to. RECEIPT? I don't have one because the ink dissapeareed 3 days after my purchase
& well i thought you took my phone #? nope, no warranty. So much B.S... Then Oreilly's hired me. AWESOME people to work with.. except some at the HUB/BIG STORE. there ARE some lazy people
that deserve to get fired....Funny how they look at you standing there waiting in line & don't help you because to them your a regular customer. But once they find out your on part of management
of another store they help you quick :3d_frown:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ttsupra2503;1899857 said:
Well with the way people have reacted to this incident it will cost them more money then it was worth. Both sides are right in this case and another company will be better off showing that they hired this guy.

If the twist happened then people would call him an idiot, but it didnt and he is a hero.

btw... why rob an autoparts store.... like seriously.... are you too stupid to think to rob a toy store before christmas?

You'd be surprised. Remember, batteries aren't cheap, and right when we get cold weather is were they show their weakness...

D.J.T.;1899861 said:
As for why i don't shop at Autozone.... i use to go to Autozone but everytime a part was faulty they wouldn't warrant it. The ass. manager or whoever was in charge would make
bullshit excuses, "explaining how the warranty was voided" & i being a supra owner, know a lot how my engine works. (credits to you guys, for helping me on some subjects) I BURNED him
right infront of his coworkers. Needless to say he warrantied my parts.. This always happens at EVERY Autozone i go to. RECEIPT? I don't have one because the ink dissapeareed 3 days after my purchase
& well i thought you took my phone #? nope, no warranty. So much B.S... Then Oreilly's hired me. AWESOME people to work with.. except some at the HUB/BIG STORE. there ARE some lazy people
that deserve to get fired....Funny how they look at you standing there waiting in line & don't help you because to them your a regular customer. But once they find out your on part of management
of another store they help you quick :3d_frown:

We either:
- Don't have the full story.
- Your story is bogus.
- Store manager isn't following company policy and needs to have corporate called on him.

I won't comment on the original point of this thread.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Even the police will tell you not to be a hero.

I use to work at domino's pizza for 6 years and in my time there was robbed 4 times and they never once caught any of the people.

I was a closing shift leader and everytime I just gave them what they wanted and they left.

99% of the time they are there to get what they want and won't hurt people unless someone gets in there way. If they are there to kill then most of the time there's not much you can do about it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ttsupra2503;1899857 said:
.... are you too stupid to think to rob a toy store before christmas?
Is that you Bender? :rofl:

Poodles;1899867 said:
You'd be surprised. Remember, batteries aren't cheap, and right when we get cold weather is were they show their weakness...
You don't get cold weather silly... :p

Turbo Habanero;1899903 said:
99% of the time they are there to get what they want and won't hurt people unless someone gets in there way. If they are there to kill then most of the time there's not much you can do about it.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll admit, I didn't notice the part about the guy doing it for his coworker's sake, BUT... like Jordan here points out, the guy probably wasn't a real threat. Guns are usually a weapon of fear in most hands. In capable hands, they're probably not being used for robbery.