i feared this day would come.........

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i got a bhg and i just did my rebuild 3 months ago ...

what did i do wrong?

jk! but i did finally blow my w-58. at 260ish whp @10lbs on the stock ct-26.

i was wondering if a getrag would be a simple bolt on for the 7mgte.

anyone here done it?
how hard was it and what parts were needed to finish the swap?

i am asking cause my friend has 2 getrags for sale!!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
it'll probably cost more to get the damn thing in there than to buy a getrag..

and we all know how much they go for.!!

but you blew a W58 with such low power? I better start treating mine better..!

but you have to enlarge the tranny tunnel, extend the shifter, find a way to mat the engine to the tranny, then you need a drive shaft, and tranny cross member. Then finally go with a custom rear end, since MKIV 6 speeds have 3.2 diffs or something crazy like that...

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
RazoE;1484649 said:
it'll probably cost more to get the damn thing in there than to buy a getrag..

and we all know how much they go for.!!

but you blew a W58 with such low power? I better start treating mine better..!

but you have to enlarge the tranny tunnel, extend the shifter, find a way to mat the engine to the tranny, then you need a drive shaft, and tranny cross member. Then finally go with a custom rear end, since MKIV 6 speeds have 3.2 diffs or something crazy like that...

that does not sound fun at all!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
do you have 6-8k to throw at a swap?

i could think of many other places to spend the money...it is a waste just to be able to say you have a 6 speed.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
you guys are shooting down my dreams of a getrag. but if it really is not worth it i wont do it. i will just go r154

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I have a w58 for sale ; p

I just need it gone. Shoot me a PM with what you'd like to pay for it and we'll work it out lol

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
I'm at 400whp. while running a W-58 with 0 problems.
But then I have always run Redline gear oil that is very frequently changed and do not abuse it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Ya, I think we as a community would like some insight into this.

Were you doing clutch dumps with a hard clutch consistently? Was it used for drag racing at all?

I don't buy that a w-58 simply "blew" with anything under 3-350rwhp unless it was being thoroughly abused. Nothing wrong with abusing one and breaking one, I just want to understand how it happened so I don't repeat this sort of mistake. ;)

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
suprarx7nut;1484866 said:
Ya, I think we as a community would like some insight into this.

Were you doing clutch dumps with a hard clutch consistently? Was it used for drag racing at all?

I don't buy that a w-58 simply "blew" with anything under 3-350rwhp unless it was being thoroughly abused. Nothing wrong with abusing one and breaking one, I just want to understand how it happened so I don't repeat this sort of mistake. ;)

so my w58 was perfectly full:icon_bigg

i did beat it up pretty badly when i first go the car .i was dropping the clutch at everylight. but that was only for the first 3 months of owning the car.ive had my supra for a little over 2 years now and ive been driving it normal most of the time. and i occasionally drag race.

the tranny did go out the very next day after i put some 9 inch wide mustang wheels with some good rubber on them.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
I have miss shifted a few times now with my w58 and second is getting harder and harder to shift in and out of.

good thing I'm rebuilding a r154 in the barn.
I'm babying it till its done.

1jz BPU