I don't see these threads often here....

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
but it is about time that at least ONE thread does appear of this nature.

I want to PUBLICLY (and empathetically), give my exceptional gratitude to Mike (aka Supracentral), and yes folks, I am being sincere. :icon_surp

The story:

As everyone in the US know, the Job market has been "mish mash" of lay offs, contract terminations etc through most of 2009. Just me alone, I bounced from one job to another, 4 jobs total with unemployment for what amounts to 40% of the year. Retirement funds had dwindled to zero, and as everyone knows, the bills just don't magically stop. Well unlike preivous years, what worked before job hunting wise, was not working AT ALL in this market. Why? Not a lot of jobs, LOTS of applicants (and to showcase this, I have been in the field of IT for a long time. So I contacted some recruiters and they verified, for each position they had open, average of about 100 resumes recieved in ONE day), it made for an exceptionally competitive job market, one where experience was not going to get my foot in the door (learned the hardway) which was a complete 180 from before.

So I asked for help. Well Mike agreed on the condition that he was going to be truthful which I whole heartedly agreed. By truthful I mean that, no "sunshine being blown up my ass" to make me feel better. So I emailed him my "book" (which was my resume up until that time), 8 pages of verbose, chatty resume.

Well he told me the TRUTH. The resume as it stood was in good contention to be one of the first resume to go in the trash. The REAL trash bin (not the computer trash bin). The resume as it stood was just to "wordy" and showed no achievements, just what what I did job wise. What is the difference you ask? Acheivements are goals that are met or exceeded as part of a project that helped the company in saving man hours, money, process time or a combination of all three.

Anyway, Mike put on his hiring manager (which was invaluable as now I see the reactions to my "resume") cap and just layed it on the line. He detailed what HE wants to see as a hiring manager, which is what more than likely any manager that is innundated with resumes is also doing currently, and I adjusted my resume accordingly.

So what were the caveats?

Resume Length! No more than 2 pages, ESPECIALLY in a very competitive job market. I have 14+ years of experience but that we are looking to grab attention not lul people to sleep. SIZE DOES MATTER. Short and sweet! I'll explain how it was explained to me afterwards.
Check the spelling! thier instead of their or there. We're (contraction of we are) instead of were or where. teh instead of the. Punctuations, grammar, run-on sentences etc.
Bullet points! The bullet points should be achievements which should be no more than 2 sentences max. If you read it and it says what you do but no achievements, than you will be in trouble. Why? A manager is looking for what YOU can do for them. They will rake you over the coals once you get an interview but the resume tells them, hey, this candidate can save me money or streamline process, or he has time management experience or .... help me in some way, shape or form.

Now why are these three things important? Well think about it, A hiring manager has 100+ resumes to go through (and doubt this will change for quite some time). We (as possible candidates) do NOT want to make it harder for the hiring manager to go over our resume. Remember, that we are after the job they posted. Once we land the interview, then you can talk about the technical merits of the job, how you did it (if asked), or how you achieved your goals and what were the outcomes. The resume is just to get you the interview.

In the end. I did the changes and went forward with the new, improved resume. I submitted my resume to a couple of companies. Incredibly, out of the 12 companies I sent resumes, 10 companies reached out to me after reading my resume to schedule interviews! Put in other words, a 83% rate of contact from possible employment opportunities! Before I was lucky to get even a 5% call return.

The funny thing is that the resume actually opened up different opportunities, some that I did not even think I had a chance at. In the end, I accepted a job offer from Best Buy Corporation, to test what they call network connected devices.

What is a network connected device?

Blu-ray player with netflix connectivity or pandora radio.
TV with the same thing.
Digital picture frame with a flickr backend.

and a slew of ther products before they hit store shelves. Or in other words, bleeding edge. :)

So as I began, and I will now close.

Thank you Mike. I owe you muchas cervezas or mexi-cokes. ;)

-Figgie

cliffs: that why you are unemployed you lazy bum! Read the post!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Nice job Figgie. Man enough to know you need help and not ashamed to ask. Nice to know there's people around here you can count on when needed :D

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Sweet! But I figured you would know this? 14 years? My resume is 1 page, 2nd page is references and numbers thats it. As you stated no one likes to look at an 8 page book report. Your resume is basically to get you in the door, not get you the job.

Also, I've noticed in the IT world, networking comes in BIG time, social networking that is. I got my interview and job from my 1 page resume' and from the recommendation from a good friend to the boss man. IT rocks!!!!

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
i've bumped heads with mike and most of the management of this site, but when someone steps up to help out of his own time, then i can see that they are good people.
Well done mike.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
That's awesome. Congrats, sounds like an awesome job... I assume you get to keep what you test?

I got a member on a local Subaru Forum a face to face interview w/ my manager at work and he wound up getting a job. Networking NO DOUBT got him the job, as the job market for X-Ray is about the same as IT.

That site has a single thread called "Looking for Work/Help Wanted" and I believe several members have gotten jobs because of it. Maybe Mike would be OK with something like that here?

Include a resume crtique subforum as well, because there are plenty of people that suck at them. :biglaugh:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Very good points. I've gone through literally thousands of resumes in the last decade, and hired maybe 200 people from that effort. Nothing gets a resume tossed faster than silly mistakes in grammar or spelling.

Anything that's difficult to understand - junk.

Anything that takes too much of my time - junk.

Sometimes I feel guilty for this, but when I'm presented with 750 resumes for a single job opening, even with this kind of criteria, I'm STILL left with dozens to call for an interview.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Yay for Mike helping and you getting a job :)

I thought this kind of stuff was common knowledge... Which it clearly isn't.

Maybe you posting this will help others in similar situations :)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
One thing that really drives me crazy is to see people not live up to (or have the opportunity to live up to) their potential.

I'm glad I could help. I should probably just dig up everything I PM'd you about that resume, remove the personal details and post it as a sticky.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
this is one thing i'm glad they're still teaching in college. i hated the professionalism class but the help with the resume has definitely left its mark.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I also cut mine down to 1/2 of what it was. Now it is reduced to one page of job, 4-5 1 sentence bullets of MAJOR responsibilities and/or accomplishments. I think the only reason I got hired so soon out of college, was showing almost 5 years in the field, pushing like hell and having a well thought out and executed resume.

Although, it is not exactly where I want to be and what I want to get paid, it is slowly moving towards that. I got hired as a l1 help-desk tech, it turns out that it is more of a l2-3 position, I travel to NYC 2-4 times a week, and get 7-10 hours of OT a week average (between yesterday and today, I have almost 25 hours on the clock, including 30 min lunches). Only 1.5 more months of being a contractor, then the real money starts rolling in, along with the benefits. Can't wait.

BTW figgie, congrats, glad you kept pushing and found something.

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
Supracentral;1483864 said:
One thing that really drives me crazy is to see people not live up to (or have the opportunity to live up to) their potential.

I'm glad I could help. I should probably just dig up everything I PM'd you about that resume, remove the personal details and post it as a sticky.

That's a really good idea. I should probably start on mine. Just keep a running resume, and update as needed. Even guys who do 20 years military have to find a job on the outside.

Congrats figgie.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Congrats Figgie.
Send me a copy of your resume and I'll see if you're qualified to work out in this freezing ass cold with me. I can always use more nail drivers. Your hands always feel better once you get feeling back in them.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Congrats Figgie.

This reminds me, I need to update my resume sometime. Will be graduating in December and have NO IDEA what I want to do.

Anyone need a new manager? :biglaugh: