I/C blockoff question/what are the benefits?

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
My question, besides from a styling aspect, why would you want one on our cars? I dont see any functional bennifit of having one on an MKIII being that on our cars, the hood seals against the radiator core support. I am just curious of the purpose of one besides styling being that the hood on our cars seals off any airflow that might go up and over the core support that could otherwise go through the I/C, A/C condensor (if applicable), and radiator just as the block off's would do on many other cars......

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, well.....the air going through the upper grill will tend to go to the path of least resistance, so it'll go up towards...OK- so there's a seal around the front of the hood, so it's not going to go there, but when it GETS to the seal, it really doesn't feel like turning around, so it goes to the sides, and ...it...no...
OK- the air goes in and goes up like I said, then it curls around....towards the backside of the header panel and actually starts pushing against the forward motion......no....I don't really see that happening...

DAMNIT- THEY LOOK NICE, OK??

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
and i was going to make it and a cold air box to match out of plexiglass and polished aluminium, just something to clean up the engine bay. maybe have mk3 etched into it.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
It directs more air directly through the radiator... Beauty yes, but also functional... You think the hood shuts air tight over the rad support? There are alot of race cars out there that incorporate the block off plate...

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Reign_Maker said:
You think the hood shuts air tight over the rad support? There are alot of race cars out there that incorporate the block off plate...

It shuts it pretty good though. I just dont think the added cost is worth 4-7 more cfm. But the race cars that use those are STi's for example (we have an APR plate in the shop at the moment) that do have a gap there with no seal. So they need that to keep air from runnin up through the hood latch and into the engine

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
You'll get more benefit sealing the sides than adding a radiator plate. There are so many places for the air to go that it is much easier to flow around the sides than trying to push the seal between the hood and the rad support.

Of course then there are those of you out there that don't even have the undercover.

The single most important piece here is the undercover. Then think about some custom side block off plates. The last thing on this list would be the top block off plate.

But it does look really pretty! I can't wait to get my own Supra back on the road. I have the mirror finish plate from SupraSport and WOW! I could replace the mirror in my bathroom with that thing.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
KeithH said:
The single most important piece here is the undercover. Then think about some custom side block off plates. The last thing on this list would be the top block off plate.

exactly what i was going to say, the upper block off plate is just a cool factor thing i guess, but it wont do jack w/out the undercover. All the air would just flow underneath the car.

The thing w/ the undercover is like the block off plate it catches any tools i drop before they can hit the ground, especially if i drop it between the IC and the radiator, gawd its a bitch reaching down there for a damn 12mm.

DRG

Apr 19, 2005
Montreal canada
I have the undercover and the difference that I can see is my temperature staying more stable than before, other than being a nice tool plate it's good to look at!

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
hmmm... temperature staying more stable? I would consider that a HUGE benefit.

I've only ever seen my temp needle move once. That was when I tried an electric fan and it was REALLY hot outside.

I've also run the undercover from the day I got my Supra.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
simpsons7s said:
I want one because I have a vented hood that dosen't seal like stock.

YES! THis is where that would come in hand. I may need to get one of these panels when i get my vented hood, but i will make it myself. I also need to get an undercover. I removed it when i replaced the front bumper and it was trashed. Need to take measurements and go to TAP plastics to pick up some plastic