i am going out on a limb here, and i ask this in all timid-ness...

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
but..i have a white supra.

i REALLY want a black one. and i would preffer hardtop as it is less weight, and as far as i know, a bit safer?

so here is the thing.

i found a black, 5spd turbo supra, hardtop.

the guy is asking 2k.

buuut..the knock sensor is on, and the car wont pass smog. it has 267k miles on it, and the gas tank flip lid thingy needs to be occasionally pried open.

i have no intentions whatsoever of paying 2 grand for this thing, but i want to know what i shoudl offer the guy? i REALLY do want the car, but i dont want to offer him such a low price he says no, and i lose out on the car..

so..yeah..there are no dents or anything like that, the interior looks fairly clean and all those good thing,s but..rod knock sensor and ALOT of miles on it.

on top of that, i would have to be driving it home all the 5 and half hour drive it is going to be...

now, what do you guys say i should do?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
why not get a blown engine off craigslist for like $200 and then rebuild that... a completely stock rebuild wouldnt cost you much, and your shell is probably in better condition. for $1500-$2000 your buying what? a car with some insane milage?
and if you are really serious, just start low.... like $1200 or something, he wont just reject you, he should say "well this car is wroth a lot more than, lets say $1700" and then you just keep going back and forth.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Rennat;927106 said:
why not get a blown engine off craigslist for like $200 and then rebuild that... a completely stock rebuild wouldnt cost you much, and your shell is probably in better condition. for $1500-$2000 your buying what? a car with some insane milage?
and if you are really serious, just start low.... like $1200 or something, he wont just reject you, he should say "well this car is wroth a lot more than, lets say $1700" and then you just keep going back and forth.

He does not want the engine, he wants a "Black Car with hard top".

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
:word8kn:

Just don't low-ball the guy :D
But seriously, why are you buying another supra, when your's is in better shape? Wouldn't it be better just to repaint you current supra?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
theciviceater89;927020 said:
talk walks and money talks....that is one of the most clever things i have ever heard in my whole life, not kidding...

Thank you. Ive have said this phrase since I was about 12 years old.

:)

Stretch said:
So if talk walks, and money talks, therefore, money also walks?
eric

See, my teaching of wisdom is true on all fronts.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Decide how much money you are willing to pay, and bring that amount with you, in cash.

That way, you can't just pay more for it on the spot, you HAVE to leave, find a bank, get extra money, then come back. The extra time it takes to do that will let you cool down and really think about it.

And he will know it, too. If it's a choice between $1000 right now, or maybe $1050 in an hour, the seller will almost always take the lower price.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
suprastanger507mgte;927141 said:
He does not want the engine, he wants a "Black Car with hard top".

he also wanted a 2jz... i went and saw his car, was going to buy it till i found the 90. He said he was only $600 away from getting the swap...
I want a black 92 + sunroof + 5 speed. You take what you get sometimes and you cant be too picky...

vir2 - his has no engine & transmission....

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
i would guess that "it wont pass smog, knock sensor" means that the check engine light is on and thats why it wont pass smog. it most likely needs a knock sensor re-wire. if the motor runs good, and no bhg or rod knock, and the body is straight, id pay no higher than 1500

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
a shell with 267K is kind of crazy... everything needs to be looked at, especially in those places you cant see.
Run a carfax on it and see if anything comes up.

And just paint the outside of the car black... earl schieb will do it for under 1000...

How much money do you have to spend is the real question?
Lets face it, you have.... say $1500 to spend. you get it, it'll need to be put in your name, insurance, and fees... so its now a 1600-1700 car... plus you have to fix whats wrong for smog + smog fees. so it snot a 1700-1900 car... and what if the cat is bad and it wont pass smog after you rewire the knock sensor? theres so many what ifs when buying a used car, and especially one with that kind of high milage, its almost not worth it unless you plan on redoing EVERYTHING and making it into a track car. or if you just have TONSSS of money to put into a supra... but you said you dont have a lot of money.

I would just save up some more money and find a better supra...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
SupraOfDoom;927321 said:
Hell yes. I will be this picky next time around.

me too, i just wanted somewhere to start with... and a burgandy 90 5-speed was the closest i could get...

And wheres this transmission you speak of? you said nothing of it when i came to see the car...