hydraulic handbrake install

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
has any1 here installed a hydraulic handbrake in their mk3?

after installing mine, i find that the foot brake pressurises the handbrake master so that it looks up the rear brakes.

im not sure if thats due to the adjustment on the HB piston/master or if supras have some fancy brake master setup whereby installing a hydraulic handbrake isnt as simple as just plumbing it in series between the line running to the rear brake calipers

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
fancy ? the rear brake pistons on the Master Cylinder is the first to engage and only as far as the spring inside the M.C.allows it to - so it never really locks hard on the back.

Jeesh man hydraulic handbrakes....thats NOT on MY to do list.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
disturbed1;1106758 said:
has any1 here installed a hydraulic handbrake in their mk3?

after installing mine, i find that the foot brake pressurises the handbrake master so that it looks up the rear brakes.

im not sure if thats due to the adjustment on the HB piston/master or if supras have some fancy brake master setup whereby installing a hydraulic handbrake isnt as simple as just plumbing it in series between the line running to the rear brake calipers

I would like to see pictures please...

and is there a check valve ? or something thats not allowing the pressure to release ?

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
disturbed1;1106758 said:

I did it 3 years ago exactly like you are describing "just plumbing it in series between the line running to the rear brake calipers"
Here is old picture
http://www.mk3ukr-supra.com/Hydro parking brake 01a.jpg

It worked well for me, though 1 month ago I replaced piston and seals using repair kit and relocated lever and cylinder on top of shaft tunnel

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
HommerSimpson;1106801 said:
I would like to see pictures please...

and is there a check valve ? or something thats not allowing the pressure to release ?

im not sure if theres a check valve or such.

sorry the pics so big - was wondering why it was taking so long to upload

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
So does this switch you from using the drum based ebrake to activating the rear discs instead?

That's more than a little bit silly, IMO. The whole idea behind the ebrake is that it will still function well enough to stop the car after some piece of debris tears a hole in your hydraulics, causing the hydraulic system to fail.

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
GrimJack;1107654 said:
So does this switch you from using the drum based ebrake to activating the rear discs instead?

That's more than a little bit silly, IMO. The whole idea behind the ebrake is that it will still function well enough to stop the car after some piece of debris tears a hole in your hydraulics, causing the hydraulic system to fail.

It's no longer a parking or emergency brake; its a handbrake for drifting.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
GrimJack;1107654 said:

I agree, but what is the chance of both front and rear hydraulic circuits being damaged at the same time? If one gets damaged another will still work.

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
GrimJack;1107654 said:

Correct, the supra no longer has anything associated with the cable drum brakes. Im running 324mm all round with nissan calipers and also saved 15 kg in the process. As u can see this isnt a street car.

is anyone able to help with the original problem??

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You've increased the size of the back calipers more than the front (at least that's what it sounds like).

If they are all the same brake setup, the back WILL lock first as the weight is unloaded on the rear tires when you brake.

Nothing to do with the handbrake...

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
GrimJack;1107898 said:
So just to clarify, the problem is that when you step on the brakes, the rear wheels lock? They still release fine when you let off the pedal, right?

Are you running the ABS or non-ABS?

nah, when u pump the foot brake, its applys all four calipers as normal, yet when u back off and try to use the handbrake, the handbrake master is already pressurised, therfore the rear wheels are already locked and u cant lift the handbrake up at all.

so when i release the foot brake - it appears its not releasing the pressure in the rear half of the system

no im not running abs.

poodles: nissan 4 pot fronts, nissan 2 pot rears