hurka durka....

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
alright, so i have been looking for a few days, various other websites, google and whatnot, did some searching here...

i am looking to see if there is perhaps a step by step guide on BHG repair... i have never done this before, not even anything close...most i have ever done personally on a motor is do basic timing adjustments and screw with cams on my 73 celica....

s0o0o0o0o....

he best i have found on here was in the engine internals section, but..it wasn't really quite as in depth as i am really going to be needing..

thanks in advance for any help guys.

this is what i am working with:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
theres a search function homie... but the jist of it is, remove head, replace hg, get new bolts or studs depending on choice. then flush oil to get coolant out of bearings.

thats the nice way of saying it tho... warped head and tons of other crap can change all that

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
i just said i have been searching, and i know it is pretty much remove head, clean and remove old gasket, replace gakset, arp the mother, and put it back together. while the head is off, im going to have it resurfaced, and pray to God the block doesnt need the same, mild port and polish of the head, then put it together.

but.... i bought it while it was apart anyway, so i dont really know to put the lego's back together lol.

the pictures i put up are from when i got the car, so.... yeah...i need to replaced valves and crap, don't i? at least the valve stems i'm pretty sure...i have no clue how to do that, and i want to learn. so eff expensive shops that only work on v8's.

thanks haha

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
if the cams havent been removed I dont see why, maybe check to see if its shimmed right but thats about it for that.

did you buy it with no valve covers?

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
lol, no it has valve covers. i am pretty sure everything is there...but... i dont even know what to look for, so there is a very high probablity that some crap is missing lol.

the turbo has been upgraded on the car, not sure to what, but it the comp wheel is substantially larger than the standard ct-26, however, it is still in the factory yoda housing...it has 04 lexus rims that actually dont look gay, and it has full 3" turbo back megan racing exhuast...

here is the outside of the car:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
yea definitely make sure your valve shims are good so you dont get crazy valve lash. its easier with the head off and a reputable shop can do it if you dont wanna

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
gotsomegetsome;1378243 said:
yea definitely make sure your valve shims are good so you dont get crazy valve lash. its easier with the head off and a reputable shop can do it if you dont wanna

but i do wanna, thats the thing.

i just have no idea how to do it lol. when i pull the head off later this week, i will post some pix...hey....

should i start a build thread?!?!?!!?

i have always wanted one you know... and by the way, this is my dearm car...89 turbo targa, 5 spd....BLACK.

:evil2:

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
91blackeye;1378252 said:
but i do wanna, thats the thing.

i just have no idea how to do it lol. when i pull the head off later this week, i will post some pix...hey....

should i start a build thread?!?!?!!?

i have always wanted one you know... and by the way, this is my dearm car...89 turbo targa, 5 spd....BLACK.

:evil2:

Will you be using a MLS or stock replacement?

Last edited:

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
91blackeye;1378329 said:
uh.........mls? whats that??

so i think my answer is stock replacement lol....aiyjeez

multi layer steel, like from titan or hks. if you do go this route have the block decked to under 40 RA, (roughness) and remove rivits in the way. I would recommend this if you are going to turn up the boost.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
The TSRM will be a big help. When you take your head in, have it checked for hardness before you have any work done to it. If it fails, the head is annealed making the metal too soft, and it is trash. If the shop looks at you funny when you ask for a hardness test, find a new shop. Also if you have the block machined you have to have the lower timing plate machined with it. Otherwise the head wont go back on right, and you will be back at square one.
Good luck.

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
thanks so much for the help and great advice guys!!

i figured i will have the block done anyway, even if it doesnt really need it, and get a mls gasket, i figured...anything worth doing, is worth doing right...

i have a few cars and people in my area who need to be put in their place...i.e. a 487 whp vette, a SHITE TON of camaro's and ws6, you know, general lsx tomfoolery, and a friggin mass assemblage of mustangs and civics...

they will die at the sound of spo0oo0o0o0o0olz lawlz..

i can't even take myself serious sometimes haha

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Yes, start a build thread!

What mods does the car have? You mentioned an upgraded turbo, and by the butt connectors on you injector wires, you must have upgraded injectors as well. In a build, you can post pictures of things and get more advise on what you have and what you need. I'd advise definitely going with the metal gasket and ARP's. Do some reading on the proper RA values, and how to determine what thickness of a gasket you need to keep your compression ratios in check.