Huge oil leak

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
hey guys I need a little help. so I just changed my water pump and timing belt do to a weeping pump. when I put everything back together I got a huge oil leak. I wouldn't even say the oil is leaking so much as flowing. I lost about half my oil before I noticed. my car was just idling in my garage. So naturally I went with the "what have I been touching and is it related to the problem?" approach. I changed the front main seal since I was doing the timing belt and I already had the seal so I took everything back apart. the inside of my timing covers have oil all over them. so here's my question. Am I really so stupid that I can't put a crank seal on right?!?!? is there some sort of "proper" way to put it on to make sure it seal or do you think I could have oil leaking from somewhere else?

Thanks,
Kelson

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Which way was the seal facing when you installed it?

A:
Teflon_Lip_oil_seal.jpg

B:
3240086-jeep-oilseal_dana44.jpg

Did you pull the timing case to do the work?

If so how did you reseal the HG and Pan?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
A: with the plastic on the closer side and the hollow side with the spring and stuff facing the engine

B: No I did not

Edit:
haha I confused myself. ignore those A's and B's ^^^ I read you pose wrong I installed the seal the B way

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
yup! this is on a 1j btw.

I took off:
top timing cover
serpentine belt
serpentine tensioner
harmonic balancer
ac compressor (deleting ac)
lower timing cover
timing belt
timing belt idler pulley
water pump (front and back)
washer thing on crank
lower cam sprocket w/saw thing for crank angle sensor
front crank seal

cleaned the grease off that whole area

put on:
new water pump
new water pump pulley
crank seal
lower crank sprocket
crank washer
timing belt tensioner pulley
new timing belt
lower timing cover
harmonic balancer (torqued 240 ftlbs)
serpentine tensioner
new serpentine belt
upper timing cover
maybe something else I forgot about

oh but I just remembered something important! I didn't think of it being related till just now but I bet it is. once the engine got warm it smelled like a chainsaw in my garage and it looked like my turbos were smoking a bit on the outside. I couldn't find where the smoke was coming from but it was coming out around the turbo area.

anyways I was running the engine when I noticed oil on the ground. I took the timing cover and everything in the timing area has oil on it ( I think the timing belt spread it around). its not the cam seal because there is oil on the side of the black metal plate that the gears are on but not on the side with the valve covers.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
help someone please I want to drive my car! and its not leaking from the hg because the bottom of the head right above the water pump had no oil at all on it

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
hvyman;1562231 said:
How did you install the seal?

I just pushed it onto the crank with my hand until it was in there tight

san supra;1562234 said:
did you clean the surface on the lower crank sprocket that goes into the seal?

no I didn't. what would that do? how should I clean it?

92TealSupra;1562294 said:
get us some pics!!

I will try to by the end of today

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I would just order a new front seal and make sure you do it right this time. I'm sure once you take everything off and get to it, you will probably see that the seal is no in right. Also once you have the seal out inspect your crank for any scratches too. I think that Driftmotion has those seals for $15 plus shipping. Good luck

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
kelson;1562963 said:
ok now what do I need to do to make it stop?

Need to figure out why it's leaking, as you pull it all apart can you take some flash macro pics as you go?

Only thing I can think of at the moment is the spring escaped somehow as you installed the seal.

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
same thing happened to me only mine was only dripping a bit....it all happen after i installed the 2jz oil pump and put on the 1jz front main seal. when i took everything apart it seemed as if the lower part of the seal was out not evenly pushed in, thats my guess. does it matter that i have a 1jz front main seal with a 2jz oil pump? and should i buy a new seal?, the one i installed is brand new and doesnt look pinched at all.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

IJ.;1563132 said:
Need to figure out why it's leaking, as you pull it all apart can you take some flash macro pics as you go?

Only thing I can think of at the moment is the spring escaped somehow as you installed the seal.

what do you mean the spring somehow escaped?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
1wickedA70;1563255 said:
same thing happened to me only mine was only dripping a bit....it all happen after i installed the 2jz oil pump and put on the 1jz front main seal. when i took everything apart it seemed as if the lower part of the seal was out not evenly pushed in, thats my guess. does it matter that i have a 1jz front main seal with a 2jz oil pump? and should i buy a new seal?, the one i installed is brand new and doesnt look pinched at all.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

what do you mean the spring somehow escaped?

Now and again when you install a Lip seal the preload spring inside can pop out of it's groove so the seal leaks badly when under pressure..

NOT saying that's the case this time but it's possible.