Hp and MPG?

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
A good Air Intake would be a good start and then get a Full 3" Downpipe that replaces the stock Elbow, after that I would get a full exhaust all the way back. Those mods alone should raise your stock boost levels and spool the turbo way faster and give you a world difference in performance, specially if you get a tune for it. All these mods should give you decent power and you shouldn't have a problem with gas mileage as long as you don't spool it at every stop light it shouldn't be a problem at all.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
IJ.;1768060 said:
My 7M made around the 550rwhp mark and was getting 28>29 US Mpg, a LOT of it's in the tune.

mine was 267hp and 284tq 7m untunned and i got 28mpg 1 time i almost got 500 miles on a tank went to la and almost back 463 miles i could of pushed it more but there wasn't any cities for 50 miles

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
IJ.;1768060 said:
My 7M made around the 550rwhp mark and was getting 28>29 US Mpg, a LOT of it's in the tune.

this. I know a few High HP guys (800rwhp+) getting 25+mpg on the highway. They stay out of boost and they lean out the tune too. I think its called lean cruise or something along those lines.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
With a turbocharged car, MOST upgrades should actually help fuel economy, provided that you don't walk on the pedal. Of course something that just increases boost (Like a boost controller) won't help fuel economy, since it can only really increase the amount of fuel you can burn, but intake and exhaust will of course help.

Also a larger turbo, intercooler, hardpipes, and the like will also help fuel economy under light throttle, since less restriction means less power needed just to flow.

Mods which increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine will probably help, to a point. Increasing compression will help, though will reduce the potential of the engine with pump gas.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Supradanny95;1768066 said:
What upgrades do you have???

i had (now going 2j) 57trim, arp, mhg, megan dp full 3in exhaust, fluidlyne radiator and thats about it i can think of o yea everything on the motor was new either from toyota or another source!

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
In my case, when I went 550/lex maf, my mpg went down the drain.
but that,s probably my right foot loving the 57trim @ 16psi. Wish I could see on the highway what,s going on

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Supradanny95;1767950 said:
What would be some good upgrades that don't make my mpg's suffer too much??

Increase the compression ratio. You will pull more heat from the fuel, and won't need to step on the loud pedal as hard.

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
steveyblack;1768070 said:
this. I know a few High HP guys (800rwhp+) getting 25+mpg on the highway. They stay out of boost and they lean out the tune too. I think its called lean cruise or something along those lines.

What is a safe A/F for a lean cruise?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
teamslow;1768235 said:
What is a safe A/F for a lean cruise?

Different combinations will accept more/less lean, my 7M on gas would start to stumble around the mid 15:1 mark.

you reach a point where you're opening the throttle more and more to maintain cruise.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Turbo car is catch 22. Most BPU upgrades (intake,exhaust, IC piping, intercooler) increase the airflow and make the engine more efficient. It also tends to make you spool sooner, and boost = less MPG as a general rule.

Of course with upgrades, you'll end up wanting to use the power (and hear it) causing lower MPG.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Regardless of the decreased spool time, you still shouldnt have to worry about getting into boost even with a stock ct until like 2700 with light/moderate throttle. So if you watch the vacuum and drive accordingly your catch 22 is not a major issue.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Another thing to consider is the rear diff ratio. If you have a higher numerically gear, driving in town will generally return better mileage, however, as a result, highway MPG can drop. I've consistently gotten anywhere from 19-27mpg depending on the car and engine that was in the car at the time.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
9.7:1 compression ratio, CT2657, E85*, A340E, 4.30 rear end, @ 80mph on the freeway non stop I got 18 mpg. Tuned for slight lean under cruise 15.0 AFR, RPM is at 3300 @ 80mph.

Pretty much the worst possible outcome.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Canuckrz;1768465 said:
Regardless of the decreased spool time, you still shouldnt have to worry about getting into boost even with a stock ct until like 2700 with light/moderate throttle. So if you watch the vacuum and drive accordingly your catch 22 is not a major issue.

You must not have hills there. My car will boost when I have cruise control set on the highway...

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I don't use cruise control and expect fuel mileage, its throttle adjustments are far too harsh which is why you end up in boost.

Also is300 COP's would likely net some milage and maybe a couple hp.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, then there are people like me.

I have a lot of nice upgrades, which make it pretty easy for the engine to go into boost, however, since my car was NA from the factory, and I did not change out the cruise control, it is not possible for the engine to go into boost while on cruise. This is because it is manifold vacuum which the cruise uses to pull on the throttle, so, if there is no vacuum, there's no throttle.

End result, great mileage while under cruise, though there's a limit to the inclines that it can handle. Anything more than about a 7% grade, at a speed of less than 120km/h (75 mph) and the car will start to slow down on the uphill. I've had it kick off the cruise entirely on a long 10% grade when it just gave up. (Downshifted to 4th and re-set the cruise and it was okay, though the RPM was higher than I'd normally want.)