How would I go about storing a Supra for an extended period of time?

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
The time it would be in storage would be a year in the least, with the extreme probability that it will be more. What would be the best way to store it? I have a set of shit tires that it can sit on.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Wouldn't that make my suspension sag a bit? What about anything with the fluids? It would be ideal that I could just drop a battery in it and drive it as good as it did before I stored it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Why would it sag? the car lives it's entire life on it's wheels...

As long as it's not sitting outside it should be fine, I'd fill it with fuel so you don't get condensation in the tank then if needs be drain it and refill when you fire it back up or possible dump a shitload of octane booster into it to save that tank full as the more volotile components will flash off over time leaving you with low octane.

If you Oil the cylinders as suggested it's going to smoke a bit on initial start just don't drown it with Oil and it'll be fine.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I agree with IJ, either a chock full fuel tank, or empty with the cap off (removes the condensation threat because air inside and outside of tank is same temp).
You can buy "fogging" oil in a spray can, used a lot in the marine industry to store engines. Just squirt some down each spark plug hole and rotate engine by hand.
Either way, I'd just dump the fuel after it sat for a year. I don't see any problems putting the car on jackstands it will keep the tyres nice and round.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Also if you want your battery to work, pull it and put it on a trickle charger.

My car sat for 1.5 years doing exactly what IJ suggested by spraying inside each cylinder with some oil. I put a fresh battery in, and it fired up in 3 cranks :)

505turboman

Jul 14, 2009
Albuequerque, NM
My supra sat for 2.5 years before I had money to start my project and I went with the Toyota supra manual. Like Ij said put it on jack stands but I put mine on the frame not the control arms and took off the tire and drain ALL fluids and don't set the ebrake. Of course keep brake fluid. I didn't do the oil in the cylinders all though that would have been a great idea

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Why would I drain all fluids? Wouldn't that cause rust if moisture gets into those areas? I was planning on just changing the oil and coolant when I get back to it.

505turboman

Jul 14, 2009
Albuequerque, NM
GrimJack;1806016 said:
The ability for coolant to inhibit corrosion only lasts for a certain length of time.

That's exactly right

All fluids are engineered and only last so long for instance. The water and coolant are mixed together 50/50 but over time just sitting the two different fluids will start to separate from each other water on bottom and coolant will raise to the top. I mean you're gonna have water contact anyways but if you drain the fluid it will it won't be as much water. Oil separates too just takes longer however it's protective qualities like the detergents, and all the other additives depending on water you have, allllll go out the window over time as well. So why would you want your first start up over all that time be with bad oil? And you'll want that fresh oil all over those cams win you poor your new oil in cause if not you're gonna have very dry start cause its goona be a good couple of seconds to get that oil up there after sitting so long. And last but not last. Still drain your fuel even though topping it off wouldn't hurt still drain it because the first thing to go when fuel separates is the methanol it will evaporate, second the oil properties that are in fuel will settle on the top and you are left with water on the bottom again.... Even with a high octane booster after 2.5-3 months it's gonna be a bitch to start. Now you can buy save fuel additives that you can poor into a tank full of gas before you park your car but read the label first cause even those have limits as well like 3 or 4 months. And if by chance you are running e85 you absolutely needs to drain you tank cause the ethanol will actually absorb water molecules right out of the air when it rains or if you live in a humid place. Sorry this Issa long lol. But there is a reason Toyota and most manuals say to drain everything or why even put it in the manual