How to replace trunk struts?

D TR41N

Apr 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I want to get new trunk struts for the supra. I know what ones i need to buy, but I am not sure how to replace them.... I read a few threads where people said you have to take a lot of the interior trim off to get to a bolt but i can't really tell where that bolt would be. When i look at the current trunk strut it looks like it just pops in to both the body and the door.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Just did mine last week.

Rear seat belts
Speaker covers
Rear plastic trims
Screws in the rear top trims

There are 2 x 10mm nuts on each side that need to be removed

I tied the rear wing to the Garage cross beam.

12mm/11mm wrenches to undo the Hatch end ball joint.

I used SACHS replacements and they're better then new :)

I put a small smear of RTV under the upper mounts to seal them.

Install is the above reversed.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
The interior trim under the strut mount, around the quarter windows must come out to access the nuts to remove. The bad part is to get those peices out you have to remove all of the rear hatch trim. Took me about 2 hours to swap mine out.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Flam Suit on. I did it with just prying the long plastic trim piece just enough to use a combination wrench. Not recommended doing it my way but it wasn't that hard, just have to keep an eye on the trim so it doesn't break.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
^^^ On trim as old as ours, I would strongly recomend against doing that.
(I did it as well on trim that was shot anyway.)

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
IJ.;1018435 said:
Just did mine last week.

Rear seat belts
Speaker covers
Rear plastic trims
Screws in the rear top trims

There are 2 x 10mm nuts on each side that need to be removed

I tied the rear wing to the Garage cross beam.

12mm/11mm wrenches to undo the Hatch end ball joint.

I used SACHS replacements and they're better then new :)

I put a small smear of RTV under the upper mounts to seal them.

Install is the above reversed.

Hey, can you give a little more detail on this. I have the speaker covers off, and I took the screws out of the trim up top. What do I do next to get the panels off so i can get at the mount bolts?

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
s0ulstar;1019108 said:

this is what I referenced when I did mine, worked fine to not remove the entire rear trim. just take your time not to break any pieces.

the thing to remember is when you are pulling the upper hatch trim (directly below hatch weatherstripping) back to get to the strut bolts, don't pull DOWN, pull out to pop them off (horizontally). I pulled down thinking this is how they were snapped in, and had to straighten out some clips on install that were hard to get to...should make sense when you get in there.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
akito;1018456 said:
Flam Suit on. I did it with just prying the long plastic trim piece just enough to use a combination wrench. Not recommended doing it my way but it wasn't that hard, just have to keep an eye on the trim so it doesn't break.

I did this as well. Yes, our interiors are old, but the trim piece is tougher than it looks. I got a set of metric ratcheting box wrenches from sLowe's (your local slow home-improvement store). Works like a charm, and you don't have to pop the trim out that much to get the box wrench in there. Took me about an hour and a half to do both. Would've went quicker if I had some help. I used a heavy stick to prop up each side I was working on.

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
I took my 10mm socket with me to the hardware store (Not Home Depot but a real hardware store) and purchased 4 plastic snap in hole covers that were slightly larger in diameter than the socket. I think they were 1 inch maybe 3/4 I can't remember. I then carefully determine where the bolts go through to the inside behind the plastic trim then I drilled out a hole the same size the cap was made to snap into. I had to use a Dremel with a plastic routing bit and a steady hand because my drill wouldn't fit in that tight spot by the window. After I cut the hole it revealed the bolt heads and I just used a deep well socket to take the whole thing apart. Put it back together and capped off the holes I made with the covers. This saved a buch of time, reduced the risk involved with flexing 20 year old plastic and if they ever need to be replaced again it will be really easy.
As far as cosmetics goes the caps are really flat and feather out on the ends to almost nothing so you can't see them at all unless someone is looking at your car laying on their back inside your hatch which could happen I guess with the right girl if your lucky:icon_bigg but hopefully then you won't be paying attention to them.

Last edited:

VA7MGE

Apr 21, 2007
Virgina Beach
where did you guys get the trunk struts from? someones parts car they are parting out? i need a new pair also. sorry for the thread jack

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The Sachs brand struts I got Zumtizzle to send me are AWESOME :)
(he'll jump in with where they came from I've forgotten but it was one of the big parts chains and they weren't expensive)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
IJ.;1031153 said:
The Sachs brand struts I got Zumtizzle to send me are AWESOME :)
(he'll jump in with where they came from I've forgotten but it was one of the big parts chains and they weren't expensive)

I tried to get them from a big chain store (Napa, Pepboys, Autozone, and Pep Boys) No one had them and would have to order them. Autozone could only order one side! I ended up going with rockauto.com; yes you have to pay for shipping; but, if you order a bunch of parts at once, it's not too bad. Also, check out retailmenot.com for 5% off codes (they pop on there now and then).

The part numbers are SG229017 and SG229018. ~28 a side and they're better than new. :)

Do not use Mighty Lift they're cheap and crap. Sachs from what i've seen are well made. But my supra still has toyota lifts all around. ;)

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i JUST put new ones in about 4 days ago..

it's PRIME. lifts itself after 1/3 of the way up, stays up, and shuts solidly but without a slam.

my hood struts are new too. both are highly recommended fix-up! :)

soo...how many times have you guys been hit/smashed/bopped by your hood or hatch?

i got my head hit about 3-4 times on either, and my hood closed on my fingers while i was under the car once too. not good.