How To: Replace driveshaft support bearing

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hey guys,

I decided to do a bearing swap writeup with pictures, simply because I hadn't seen one.
To begin with, I should say, that I didn't really notice any vibrations while driving the car before beginning this. It was simply a logical
repair to do while the driveshaft was out for clutch repair, as I had noticeable freeplay in the old bearing(~3/4").
I found the process to be ridiculously simple, and fast. The tools you will need:

Replacement bearing. I got mine from http://www.driveshaftparts.com/
14mm wrench
14mm socket ratchet, or 2nd 14mm wrench
paint or marker pen
hammer
small chisel, or flat head screwdriver that you don't mind bruising a bit.
1/2" drive breaker bar/ torque wrench, or 1/2" impact gun(I used an electric one)
24mm socket for above

So, the one thing I read about doing a bearing swap, was to mark the two halves so that you don't reassemble it out of phase.
Otherwise you could get some weird vibrations. So, I started by marking the two halves of the driveshaft with white paint, on the U-joints, as well as the flanges.

This is my DS before disassembly, and prior to paint marks. But I later found pre-existing paint marks on the opposite side of where I marked it.
p2057805_1.jpg

After I marked it, I unbolted the two halves using a 14mm wrench and a 14mm socket.
Here, you can see the flange bolt that is hidden inside, as well as some of my paint marks:
p2057805_2.jpg

Next, I locked the old bearing casing into my bench vise, and used an old screwdriver and hammer, to unbend the top edge of the locknut.
Then, I used an electric impact gun with a 24mm socket, to remove the locknut:
p2057805_3.jpg

Here is the new bearing, and notice how far off-center the old bearing sits:
p2057805_4.jpg

p2057805_5.jpg

I was thinking that once the flange was removed, I would need to use a puller tool to get the bearing off. Nope. the back half of the shaft fell right out.
There are two washers that go on the nose of the shaft; first the bearing, next goes a thin washer, then flange, then the thick washer goes under the locknut. Sorry I don't have a pic of that.
I was careful to realign the flange with the marks on the lower driveshaft.
After threading the locknut back on, I again used the impact gun, to tighten the nut back to its original position, and re-bent the top edge into the recess.

After that, all that was left was to realign the two halves of the driveshaft, and reinstall the 4 bolts that hold it together. That's it.

p2057805_6.jpg

Start to finish took about 25 minutes. This of course, Doesn't include the ~20 minutes it might take to remove the driveshaft from the car.
I won't have a chance to drive the car for at least a couple of days, so I'll have to report back if there is any vibration.
Hope this helps someone who was thinking of tackling this project.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks, guys.
Nothing fancy or overly erudite about it, just a simple walk-through.
I just wanted to post this to show that no serious tools, time or brainpower was required to get the 'clunk' out.

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
Thanks, this post is going to be a great help when is time to replace the bearing. Your work bench almost looks like mine :icon_razz

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Just an update,
I drove the car a few times, and she's nice and smooth on the highway, no issues.
I do still have the slightest of clunks, when releasing the clutch to move, but i expect that the is due to a 200,000 mile diff, with slack in the pinion crush collar, etc. its almost imperceptible, but maybe that'll be my future project.