How to Replace a MKIII Driveshaft Carrier Bearing for $50

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I'm not sure about a part number, it was a local shop and came in a blank box but I can swing by and see if they have more in stock. And yes it was wayyyy cheaper than oem and quality seemed top notch

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
No issues at all, slid right on and bolted right up. If you look at my old carrier you can see how it was sagging down and I could move the driveshaft up and down .5"-1" with the old one, now it is nice and tight with no play

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
That's what she said. Atleast its tight now. :p

Just let me know if he has more or maybe a part number. Was it a known major name shop?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

WyoMK3

Oct 2, 2012
Sonora, TX
just wanted to say I did this today with a O'reilly bearing that crossed from the part number the OP posted. I had to open the holes up where it mounts to the body a little bit. but it worked just fine, loving not having the vibration at speed anymore.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
did it just the other day, fits great. almost no guess work. had to trim my hoop bracket part i made one extra time and wallow out the bolt holes on it to get it just right but it works great and my part has a lifetime warranty.

koldfire08

Jul 5, 2009
Las Vegas
Didn't work for me I bought an Anchor PN# 6062. It wouldn't slip into the tunnel. Seemed too wide. I found a company on eBay that sells an OE replacement type at 80 shipped. So I bought it and its yet to arrive.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
Bearing and mounting procedure was exactly the same as OP.
I even had the DS balanced. I'm thinking about putting the stock bearing back on the DS but using 3M window sealer to give strengh back to the ol' rubber housing.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
shipkiller;1997240 said:
Bearing and mounting procedure was exactly the same as OP.
I even had the DS balanced. I'm thinking about putting the stock bearing back on the DS but using 3M window sealer to give strengh back to the ol' rubber housing.

I'll give the cheap Ranger bearing a try and if it fails quickly I'll re-evaluate either Yota OEM or really leaning on Frank at DSS to finish the two piece aluminum he started for me.

So far, the 6062 appears to be the right size. There is much less bushing material than the OEM style and the bearing sits much lower than the middle of the center of the OEM bushing. It's approximately the same length as the spacers as Destrux discovered so I'll just put the washers on the bolt side.

Time will tell. My OEM bushing is absolutely trashed so it can't be much worse...

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I used a DEA A6002 Center Support Bearing. The rubber and bearing are the same but need to be swapped into the OEM housing. On both the DEA and the OEM bearing I drilled out the three spot welds, popped open the housing and swapped the new part in. I then welded the three holes up where I drilled out the spot welds and the painted it for corrosion prevention. It's been working great.

darshy523

May 25, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
just read through this thread and there is a lot of great info! does anyone have anymore feedback on how the ranger bearing is working out? i took a look on rock auto, just for a laugh, and they list the center supports for about $57, only under the '87 and '88. from there crappy pics i believe this looks like the one out of my mk2, maybe i'm wrong, but has anyone ordered one of these and had success?

long story short, just looking for a cheaper fix that will hold up for a while until i can afford better :) just bought an awesome '87 turbo last week, trying to get her on the road!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
My Anchor 6062 works great so far. About 500-1000 miles on it now and it's been smooth. It was under $30 from Advance Auto.

I very much doubt it will last as long as the OEM bushing/bearing simply because it is much thinner, but it definitely works as a relatively drop-in replacement option in the short term.

I'm still disappointed Frank at DSS wasn't able to come through with my 2 piece aluminum request, but the small $30 price tag has kept me happy overall. :)