How to? Rear SubFrame bushing swap

Larry_A

You don't matter
Apr 7, 2005
SoCAL
As I have replacement bushings in the works, I figured I'd better find out how to swap them in. Boy, the pickings were slim. How about all you stalwart wrench-warriors who've accomplished this task lend an old man a hand. I notice there are quite a few guys in on the bushing GB, so any replies will be appreciated by more than just me ;)

What I found:

TSRM search:
Nada.

SF search:
becauseican;4327543 said:
I think the rear subframe bushings are attched by one bolt that clamps it onto the subframe, just remove the bolt and it should just pop out with a few whacks of the hammer. I just made some solid aluminum subframe spacers for my car, and a few extra sets too!, it will take out all the play and hopefully the wheel hopp.

SM search:
SySt said:
Swapping the rear subframe and diff is a peice of cake. You can have the whole subframe assembly off in 26 bolts that includes taking the wheels off. And if you do it right you do not have to bleed the brakes.

Google search:
Nada.

Thank you for your time.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
are you talking about these bushings (and the other 4 closer to the front of the car)?
p522320_1.jpg

If so, douse the perimiter of the bushing with penetrating oil and let soak. There is a retaining ring which can be unbolted and removed (on the front four for sure) and from there, grab your trusty air chisel and pound the bastards out. The outer steel cylinder of the bushing should be pretty corroded (depending on the history of the car of course) so it might be easier than you think to remove. It just so happens that the bushing corrodes preferentially to the subframe, so I saw virtually no metal damage on the subframe itself.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
You can check my build thread, the rear subframe is out.
I can't really help you with the install.
I paid for mine today, thinking I was getting the vacant #20, according to the buy list on the first page.
Then, 30 mins. later, I was edited to #21, which means I am a few weeks away, if I stay in the next buy.
I'll update if I can.

Larry_A

You don't matter
Apr 7, 2005
SoCAL
Thnx guys, I guess I shouldn't have cross-posted here...more responses on that other forum. Sorry if I inconvenienced you Adam, but your input was truly appreciated, here & there!