How to lower my ride right

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
First post eh?

Well, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "factory difference"; but, there are basically two ways to go to lower a car.

1. Lowering Springs
2. Coilovers

Springs allow you to keep the TEMS; but, coilovers do not. I'm sort of a purist when it comes to the MK3 so I like the TEMS. I've run it for years.

That being said, I'm currently looking at coilovers. :sarcasm::)

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
CajunKenny;1612910 said:
First post eh?

Well, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "factory difference"; but, there are basically two ways to go to lower a car.

1. Lowering Springs
2. Coilovers

Springs allow you to keep the TEMS; but, coilovers do not. I'm sort of a purist when it comes to the MK3 so I like the TEMS. I've run it for years.

That being said, I'm currently looking at coilovers. :sarcasm::)

3. Air Suspension

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
^^Thats what I read.

The difference between stock pre89 and 89+ is subtle. I think it's really tough to notice anything at all.

If you want a slightly lowered look, but still passable as factory, I'd go with Eibach. If I don't do coilovers, I'm going with Eibach and either Koni, Tokico or the basic GR-2 replacements.

I should add that I'm speaking from experience here. I currently own a 90 and an 88, both are on stock suspension. So I can compare the two easily. ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
That could be what he's asking...?

I am also a multiple year owner. 87, 89, and 91. Both the 87 and 89 are at the stock 4x4 height and I can't say that I see a difference.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Then something was wrong ;) My car was significantly lower than the pre-89's I parked next to. It's around half an inch I'd say... Now the pic in my sig is after the rare setup was installed...

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
After "modifying" any suspension components shouldn’t a good alignment be done to make sure it all still drives strait?

Also a side note, I have noticed a difference in the Pre-89 and 89+ ride heights, I have my 89 next to my 87 and its a big difference. Granted now I have the 1UZ in the 87 so it sits a little higher but it was noticable before. Just my two cents.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
To the OP: TEMS doesn't change the ride height, only the damping rates. It's not like the factory adjustable suspension on other car makes (I remember an old subaru wagon my mom had you could change from "offroad" to "normal" and the car actually went up about an inch for offroad).