How to istall BIG billet cams *writeup w/ pics*

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
For those of you that may want to know what is involved in the installation of BIG billet cams, here is a writeup and some pics of what you should expect to have to do to shoehorn some big cams in the 7m.

First things first, dissasemble the head completely, and i mean everything. Next, test fit these big suckers in the bare head.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Uh oh, problem #1. The lobes are big enough that they make contact with the bucket bores. Time to get out the sharpie and mark where they hit, and grind some material away so that the cams can even turn.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now the fun part. Using an assortment od diegrinders and bits, etc, grind away material enough so that teh cams can spin fully, WITHOUT damaging the bucket bores. This takes a lot of time, trust me.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

rinse and repeat x24
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now that the cams can move, its time for reinstallation of the valve/saddle/spring/retainer combo.....buuuuut not the stock ones. Here is the underbucket hardware (a MUST) in comparison to Ferrea stuff. (Ferrea on the left, TED underbucket on the right.)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here are the underbucket shims that go, well, under the bucket. They sit in the ridge in the retainer, and are responsible for setting your lash. there aint no spittin' these puppies. (the long piece is a piece of stock that can be used to make whatever size shim you need. You get an assorment of cut ones, but a piece of stock is nice incase the ones you get are too big, as in my case)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So using the spring compressor i got from Goodson Engine Tools (expensive but worth its weight in gold) the valvetrain can be reinstalled.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Slap a shim on there.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Then slap the bucket on there.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Bolt up the cam, and check for clearance.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

rinse and repeat x24 AGAIN

In this case i needed a thinner shim b/c there is not enough clearance between the lobe and the bucket. This must be checked as if it is too tight, it can hang the valves, and you'll never have compression. No good.

*NOTE* after all this fitting, the head will have to come completely back apart to be cleaned again because of the millions of metal bits from the grinding. Also, there is obviously no valve seal pictured, which will be nice to have so that my exhaust isnt blue 24/7.
Also, for those who may not know, these are the TED components 288 duration 12.5mm lift units. (pn kk611) Other cams may not interfere as much and may not require all this work, especially if it has less lift, or doesnt even need underbuckets.

Any questions, feel free to chime in, or if i forgot something, feel free to call me stupid and tell me what i forgot.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Good question Ian. I dont have a scale really accurate enough to tell you for sure, but the cam and bucket are lighter then stock, just no idea exactly how much.

Edit: Grant, i got the $ for you btw, pm me your paypal, and i'll get it out to ya!

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
And you're gonna be telling us when/where you're unleashing this thing right... I gotta see this. Great work.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Justin727 said:
damn bryan ya think you got enough there?? that thing is gonna be something totally new to the 7m scene that not many people have seen before

Ya, a reliable car :biglaugh:

I keed I keed!!!!

Good luck bryan, i was hopeing for the writeup to just keep going with your whole build :p
eric

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
looks really good, a whole lotta work there, hope it all works out good (I have faith)

so I think when you get this thing fired up and running and such, you need to keep the numbers top secret...and have a huge reveal where everybody on SM can fly out and watch it make the first pass :) (or you could just tell me and I'll show up)

Yeahdoug

Jun 3, 2005
Rochester Hills, MI
CtSupra said:
i love it! can you guys say 1500rpm idle? I'll be going with these same cams when my build comes around. Oh, and Bryan, looks like you'll be installing them for me! :biglaugh: :bigthumb:

Hey Bryan did you get my check in the mail yet? If not hopefully you get it soon. :icon_conf: I sent it out last Mon.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I have a feeling I'll be doing this in the next year or so... Thanks for the detailed write up Bry, you're a true asset! Thanks!