HOW TO: Door Panel Arm Rest Rebuild

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Hey guys this week I decided to redo the door panels on my supra. I have shadow grey door panels and they are pretty hard to find and also pretty pricey when a set come up on the forsale section so I thought I would make an attempt on repairing them. My driver door was completely shot thanks to the previous owner and the passenger door was beginning to show some signs of failing. This is the first time I have done fiber glass and any kind of upholstery work and I am in no way a professional so keep that in mind you experts out there. I do have to say this will only look good with 90+ cars because the speaker grill makes a nice cut off line from the rest of the panel so keep that in mind guys. Almost everything can be found a Walmart and it cost me $50 to do both doors and about 10hrs of work. I just wish the suede was a tad darker but it looked fine when the door was all back together.

Items Used:

8ft x 8ft piece of fiberglass mat
3m epoxy resin (both items can be found at Walmart)
4 paint brushes
Nitrile Gloves (resin get messy)
plastic disposable cups (mixing resin in)
One square yard of fake suede
Scotts super 77 spray adhesive
Craft Foam sheets

Tools

Screw driver
Staple Gun
Scissors
Xacto Knife

Step 1: Remove door panel

You will need to remove the door panel from the door. Its pretty self expanatory but if you need help you can look it up in the Trsm. As you can see my driver door is looking pretty rough.

p1867387_1.jpg

Step 2: Remove middle panel

You will need to flip over the door panel and straighten the tabs of the middle panel so that it can be removed. Then remove the panel so that it looks like shown below.

p1867387_2.jpg

p1867387_3.jpg

Next remove the little foam tab that keeps air blocked from the door handle

p1867387_4.jpg

Step 3: Rebuild shape if necessary

I had all the pieces in the door that broke off fall out. Now the driver door had part of the side of the arm rest punctured in so I took those pieces and epoxied them back together so that the corner of the arm rest had the original shape. (Note that all doors will be in different conditions so take what ever steps are necessary to get as much of the shape back as possible.)

p1867387_5.jpg

Step 4: Fiberglassing the inside

I used the supplies listed above and all can be found at Walmart. I started off with mixing half a cup of resin and spreading it on the door panel to give the fiberglass resin to adhere to. The first sheet I laid down was quite large and as the layer was applied I held a flat surface on the outside of the panel so the fiber would cure flat. The following 4 layers were the size of the arm rest and then covered with another large sheet the same size as the first. I used approximately 1/4 cup of resin per layer of fiberglass. I was a little excessive with the resin because my paint brush cured and I was not able to press the resin into the fibers efficiently.

p1867387_6.jpg

p1867387_7.jpg

Step 5: Rebuilding the outside of the door panel

With my door panel the covering was riped this would be noticeable if the suede was just placed on top. So I found out that a good method of covering it up would be to use craft foam from the kids section. I bought 2 of the sheets and layered it on the outside of the armrest to make it smooth again. I did a layer cut in the shape of the top of the rest then I wrapped the entire rest. This made it very smooth and gave a tiny bit of cushion :naughty:. I used super glue for the edges and the spray adhesive everywhere else. Once the foam is on I took the Xacto knife and cut out the necessary areas. Then I did a test fir to make sure it wasn't to much padding and everything fit. GREAT SUCCESS! I did not have to do this with my passenger door and was able to skip this step and go to applying the suede.

p1867387_8.jpg

p1867387_9.jpg

p1867387_10.jpg

p1867387_11.jpg

Set 6: Mounting on the suede

I unscrewed the carpet panel on the bottom and cut the appropriate size of suede that is needed to go from the middle of the door to the bottom. I then stapled the suede to the middle of the door. Then took the spray adhesive and sprayed the arm rest and placed the suede on. I then did proper trimming to allow the carpet panel to be reinstalled. Once trimmed the bottom was stapled and the carpet panel was reinstalled. The suede also has to be trimmed with the Xacto knife to allow the tabs for the middle panel to go through and as well as the hole for the door handle.

p1867387_12.jpg

p1867387_13.jpg

Step 7: Re-install Door Panel

Follow Tsrm if there is questions with this part, it the complete opposite from steps 1 & 2

Step 8: Grab a beer and marvel at your work :D

p1867387_14.jpg

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
I had the exact same issue, the same side, on my Corolla GTS. Same color door panel as well. I would just feel weird about it if I had to fix like that. It took me a long time, but eventually I found a panel for my GTS.

I think you did a great job fixing it, however, ultimately I would've waiting for a panel to show up. They're usually around $100 ea.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, it's not really much of an arm rest. If you put weight on it, it WILL break. If the outside isn't messed up, you could simply fiberglass the back.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Supraholics;1867438 said:
I had the exact same issue, the same side, on my Corolla GTS. Same color door panel as well. I would just feel weird about it if I had to fix like that. It took me a long time, but eventually I found a panel for my GTS.

I think you did a great job fixing it, however, ultimately I would've waiting for a panel to show up. They're usually around $100 ea.

Ya Poodles I really wish that the damage was slight thats what I wanted to do was just fiberglass the inside. I would almost bet money it broke when the previous owner probably used the door as a point of pulling himself out if the seat when getting out if the car...

Yes I almost bought one recently but shipping from California to me in AZ was $140. So that was the deal breaker for me. Couldnt imagine shipping from back east...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
gurley0916;1867461 said:
Ya Poodles I really wish that the damage was slight thats what I wanted to do was just fiberglass the inside. I would almost bet money it broke when the previous owner probably used the door as a point of pulling himself out if the seat when getting out if the car...
Looks very nice Dustin. Makes me curious to see what sort of condition mine are in. I pretty much never use the door itself for an arm rest, due to being a bit short for the car... that and I steer with my left hand, so it probably rests more on the seat or my leg than anything on the door.

How would you pull yourself out of the car by the door? Isn't that kinda counterproductive when trying to get OUT of the car? I could see that just pulling it shut... I use the seat and steering wheel to get out myself.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
can you guys really see any reason why you couldnt put in extra layers of faiberglass to try to make it stronger than is? as long as its out of the way of the handle bar?

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
te72;1867816 said:
Looks very nice Dustin. Makes me curious to see what sort of condition mine are in. I pretty much never use the door itself for an arm rest, due to being a bit short for the car... that and I steer with my left hand, so it probably rests more on the seat or my leg than anything on the door.

How would you pull yourself out of the car by the door? Isn't that kinda counterproductive when trying to get OUT of the car? I could see that just pulling it shut... I use the seat and steering wheel to get out myself.

Ya being the lengthy guy I am my elbow sits on the arm rest when the car is cruising. I got tired of my elbow being in a hole. Ive seen people use my arm rest getting in the car when they cant have the door all the way open. Usually the people who drive trucks and dont know how to get in a sports car. Regardless it doesnt matter how or why people use the arm rest this was just put together to show how to fix urs if its broken.