how to change diff fluid?

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
hi, I'm wondering of you guys know any tutorials on how to change the diff fluid. and tips and tricks would be appreciated. Thanks.
-steve

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
1: Insert drain pan beneath diff
2: Remove lower drain bolt
3: Remove upper fill bolt
4: Filter fluid with a screen while draining. Check for excessive metal in screen or on drain plug.
5: Clean, and reinstall drain plug.
6: Refill rear differential with 75w90 GL-5 Gear Oil until fluid comes out of fill hole. (I always use a gravity method of holding the container a bit higher than the diff)
7: Replace fill bolt
8: Go do donuts in an empty parking lot for 20 minutes.
9: Paypal me $20 for being so nice as to give you a step-by-step instruction.

KTHXBAI!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
.......or you can do it this way.
4: Filter fluid with a screen while draining. Check for excessive metal in screen or on drain plug.
6: Refill rear differential with 75w90 GL-5 Gear Oil until fluid comes out of fill hole. (I always use a gravity method of holding the container a bit higher than the diff)

paypal is jhayes9969@charter.net ...............:biglaugh:

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
suprahero said:
.......or you can do it this way.

paypal is jhayes9969@charter.net ...............:biglaugh:
:rofl:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
reason you undo the filler bolt is twofold...

- allows it to drain easier
- and if it strips, is seized, ect, it means you can actually drive somewhere to get it fixed rather than have a diff empty of fluid

I recommend the ford gear oil with LSD additive as it keeps high milage LSD's quiet.

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
thanks for the replies. does anyone know the socket sizes for the fill and drain bolts?
-Steve

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
Big Wang Bandit said:

Is that for the drain too? I'm pretty sure the drain is pretty huge. I need to know the right sized socket because my socket set is limited.
-Steve

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
14mm!?!? Not even close! :3d_frown:

Both the drain and fill plug is 24mm or 15/16" socket sizes...the 15/16" actually fits a bit more snug.
Just confirmed it on the LSD I have sitting in the garage.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
As far as the "pull the fill plug first" I disagree. The way I look at it is, it NEEDS to come out one way or the other so I say it is a motivation factor to take it off if stuck. (my .02)

Buy one of these to fill. You can use it for both tranny and diff ;) This is what I use.

Duane

p772262_1.jpg

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
IJ. said:
Another important point is to remember to replace the drain plug BEFORE filling ;)

LOL..well if someone can't remember that, they shouldn't be around cars period....or around anything that requires filling :biglaugh:

abda53

Sep 16, 2007
Bay Area
upgradedsupra said:
As far as the "pull the fill plug first" I disagree. The way I look at it is, it NEEDS to come out one way or the other so I say it is a motivation factor to take it off if stuck. (my .02)

Buy one of these to fill. You can use it for both tranny and diff ;) This is what I use.

you may cause more damage in the process or just trying to get it out.. especially if it seized or stripped.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
upgradedsupra said:
:rofl: A little too many of these > :beer:
I don't drink alcohol so I can't even use that as an excuse ;)
(it was just a DOH moment)

As for the "pull the fill plug first" discussion if it's a worst case scenario and you can't get it undo you can always pop a stub axle and fill it through there (Better than 15+ year old oil)