How safe is it to drive with rodknock?

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
depends on how bad of a knock u have. i know alot of other supra owners whos supras have rod knocks and they drive them every day. just be easy on it. and get it fixed asap. also make sure your oil is full.

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
and you wonder why your car is fucked in the first place. Why dont you just get a ride to wherever you need to go? You are a disgrace to Supra owners everywhere. Taking a mint condition Supra and reducing it to shambles in mere months. I hope it blows up on you.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
Well, I've been running with rod knock for almost 6-7 years now, and boosting hard with a T04 turbo for almost 3yrs(see sig). I've been running mobile1 15w50 full syntec since my last rebuilt before the knock, not sure if thats helping my engine last that long with the knock. Keep in mind that I have a spare engine in storage that I will be fully rebuilding once that one goes out. I'm kind of hoping she goes:biglaugh: , but she wont give up yet. The last time I had a knock, the engine gave out on the highway, on the way to the mechanic shop after about 5 months of knocking. Rod knock is weird like that! I guess it depends on how bad the knock is. Mine hasnt really showed signs/sounds of deteriorating. If you do plan on rebuilding/fixing it with the same components, I would try not to drive it as you can damage the crankshaft some more. Me I just said F#$k it and ignored it, but It paid off for me. I got my moneys worth on my last rebuilt.

Good luck

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
If it's a 5M...go for it. Nashman couldn't kill one so I doubt you could.

If it's that absolutely gorgeous red 91 with mint body/paint I see in your sig ... Well then I'm with Bathory :(

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tek: It means the bearing has touched the crank at some stage and left part of itself there then when it happens again you get more and more wear and bigger clearences eventually the Oil Pressure can no longer keep the Oil wedge between the bearing and the crank and you get metal on metal knocking soon after it's rebuild time.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
then it spins the bearing, turns the big end of the rod oval, turns the journals on the crank black, and eats the journals in your head as well...

metal shavings in your oil = BAD

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
91GTE said:
I just bought a supra with slight tapping and need it home, How am I a disgrace?
By the way you had worded it, it seemed like you got rod knock on your DD or something were thinking about continuing to drive it until you could fix it, or something along those lines.
How far away is this car?