how much would you pay for my car

perpetualthought

Jul 31, 2005
south florida
I need to sell my car (don't want to), but I don't have a realistic price in mind, so I thought it would be a good idea to let the community decide (I would most likely sell to an enthusiast anyway).
Here goes:

mod list:
exterior:
shine front lip
ok 2yr old Barcelona red paint job : it has good spots and bad spots. there are some runs and chips, but that being said from 3-4 ft it looks really good.

interior:
stock in good condition 7/10 (would be higher but has 2 small cracks in dash, shift boot is ripped and trunk carpet is a mess)

engine:
Borg Warner s362 1.10 turbine housing: boost thresh hold 3k rpm, full boost (17 lbs)at 4.7k rpm (was planning on quick spool valve and e85)
drewgo manifold (undivided)
hks standard wastegate dumped to atmosphere (suffers from boost creep)
3 inch split to 2 2.5 inch exhaust
aem truboost
aem wideband
greddy emanage ultimate (street tune)
hks dli
mk4 550's
aeromotive afpr
hks ssqv (using a 5 inch hose clamp to keep it secure because some of the weld pushed into the c clamp area as far as i can tell it doesn't leak)
4 inch core fmic 2.5 inch al piping
heat wrap everywhere
shitty catch can
ss power steering hose
new valve cover, and intake gaskets
exhaust is 3 inch that splits to twin 2.5 just before the diff. All I can say is it sounds amazing!!!!
Mishimoto Radiator with Lincoln mark 8 fan, turns on at 185 and off at 165 (or 175 can't remember)
i may be forgetting a couple of things
everything on the car works including heat and a/c

suspension:
st front sway bar
tokico illumina tems compatible shocks
ground control coilover 650lb front 325 rear
18*8 fr 18*10 r cheap 245 and 265 tires
willwood 13 inch brakes fr porterfield hps rear

needs bushings and an outer tie rod. that being said its an extremely smooth ride on the soft setting of tems.

all that said car pulls really hard to rev limiter at anything above 14 lbs, below that it has decent drive-ability, but needs tuning. I would trust this car to drive anywhere !!!

pics:

p1633859_1.jpg

p1633859_2.jpg

p1633859_3.jpg

p1633859_4.jpg

p1633859_5.jpg

p1633859_6.jpg

dent 1
p1633859_7.jpg

dent 2
p1633859_8.jpg

poorly painted trim and trim area
p1633859_9.jpg

p1633859_10.jpg

p1633859_11.jpg

p1633859_12.jpg

p1633859_13.jpg

p1633859_14.jpg

the setup is slightly different, and cleaner
p1633859_15.jpg

pm me if you want to make a serious offer.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
thats a really clean car, and you are in south florida as well =]. depends what the next person is willing to pay

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
First, let me say you have a sweet ride. However, I know from firsthand experience that modified vehicles can be a real PITA to price and sell. You like most people will want to recoupe all of the money you put into the vehicle. Unfortunately many will only want to pay the same price as a normal MKIII regardless of the mods you have done. Some will even pay less for a modified car then for a stock one. However, if you find that 1 right buyer you could do decently well for yourself. The problem is price it to high and it could sit for awhile. Price it too low and you will feel like heck. All in all it is a hard spot to be in and I wish you luck.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
just my opinion, but take the time and invest a little more money to get what you want out of it. Ditch the antenna & get a new retractable one, go thru your engine comartment and organize it (wiring / vacuum lines), get the dents & paint fixed, replace / repair the worn items on the interior (steering wheel, gear shift boot, TEMS buttons, ect) and clean it up in general.

You have all th major items, now finish it with the small, attention to detail stuff.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
Jay C;1633911 said:
First, let me say you have a sweet ride. However, I know from firsthand experience that modified vehicles can be a real PITA to price and sell. You like most people will want to recoupe all of the money you put into the vehicle. Unfortunately many will only want to pay the same price as a normal MKIII regardless of the mods you have done. Some will even pay less for a modified car then for a stock one. However, if you find that 1 right buyer you could do decently well for yourself. The problem is price it to high and it could sit for awhile. Price it too low and you will feel like heck. All in all it is a hard spot to be in and I wish you luck.

not with someone that understands these cars. theres plenty of people that will pay good money for a clean swapped mk3. dealerships will fuck you, they will pay you jack shit then try to jack it up for their benefit. put private sale he will sell it to a mk3 fan that is willing to pay for the mods

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yea thats what i meant about finding the right person. Someone who understands exactly what it is what its worth and it is exactly what they want without the work will pay for it.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
IMO, I would take what you have in the car (parts only, none of your labor or anyone else's labor) include what you bought the car for. Now take that value and reduce it by 10% for every 10k you have put on the car since that time for the 1st 30k then take about 5-7% off for the next 30% and so on (Not scientific, if you commute a lot of hwy miles you may reduce that depreciation % as hwy miles are easier on the car) Gives you a place to start and one that you can justify on paper... As I do not think you will recover labor, we simply do that because we love to work on these cars... right?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Realistically speaking, I could see a car like yours fetching in the neighborhood of 6-7k. I hate to bust your balls on this one, but with the economy the way it has been in the last couple years, people aren't exactly jumping at the chance to buy cool cars as frequently as they used to. That's part of the reason I don't plan on selling my car, I've got WAY more into it than any sane person would pay. You could always try ebay, I dunno what sort of luck you'd have on there, but it's something to consider. Good luck selling if you have to.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I agree as well. With the paint done "imperfectly", your not going to find someone who wants to spend over 6k on it when their dreams are to have a "perfect" paint job (most buyers are unrealistic). Nice build but the engine bay scares me because I would have no idea how to judge what was right and wrong. Taking someone's word on the fact its done cleanly and is very strong is rare unless they have a trusted mechanic to verify everything is good unless they are very knowledgable about it (and I do mean very). At first glance I would give you 7k for it, but after looking at it longer I would end up walking away.

Bear in mind.. I am not anywhere near where your car is and I already have pooled over 12,000 into my 88. So I understand what it takes to get these cars looking pretty. I doubt I would get over 4000 for my car as it sits mind you.. probably get more for parts if I wanted the headache. (luckily, I am not building my car to sell)

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Heres a question for every body.
Is the MK3 ever going to be like the 240z-280z in price? because those cars are overrated.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
Your interior is super nice besides your trunk space it looks like a birds nest. Clean up the trunk to look as good as the cabin area. Small things like that would matter to a buyer like myself cause i would like to see clean throughout.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjsn1;1634229 said:
Heres a question for every body.
Is the MK3 ever going to be like the 240z-280z in price? because those cars are overrated.

I have only seen a slight creep upward in 3 years on MKIII pricing. Problem? Rust and Maintenance imo. Quarter Panels are just landmines on these cars... engines? People like revving, but most dont like looking under the hood. I have not seen more than 2 cars on my MKIII hunt that would get a thumbs up on hose conditions. Almost everyone ignores the small coolant line that runs to the turbo on the MKIII and every one that I have felt was crystalized and near the end of its life. Simple things like that trip up the car.

The main problem, for me, is that the cars that are built correctly and maintained properly rarely make it up for sale. People just dont want to part with them I guess.. lol. So.. put up for sale 18 Supra's on kijiji and find 4 of them listed with BHG.. and it isnt building up respect...
Oh.. and my main complaint is the "Absolutely RUST FREE!" that I find 5" of water in the inside quarter panel and rust under the spare tire (as well as dirt and gunk). In 5-10 years you probably wont find many MKIII's on the road because us "revivers" are tearing apart the old ones because Toyota didnt sell the toolings (that I can tell) for aftermarket parts like most car companies do. I mean.. no repair panels or replacement quarter panels for a 20 year old car??? At 2500.00 per side to repair and not very many bodymen ready to work on anything that isn't insurance related (big $$ in replacing parts.. not in rebuilding rusted panels...) the car isn't really smelling perfumy... (all my opinion)

oldfastpat

Sep 6, 2007
S.W. Michigan
A wise old man once said this about his children "I wouldn't take a million dollars for them, But I wouldn't give you a dollar for another one!":icon_bigg

snake charmer

Nov 21, 2010
Bham
sorry that happened . here in central AL a group was broke up that was stealing cars pretending to be repo men just recently . it looked like you had some time and money invested and feel for you . really hope it is found .