"How much supra can you put into a truck?" build

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprahilux;1541666 said:
Yep, I did. It is way off. Well close enough to be fixed. I figure I can drop it off at the machine shop after all the welding is done.

Done a bunch of these things and no matter what I've tried I've always had to mill them after finish welding ;)

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Yeah, I knew there would be warpage. I am satisfied with the little bit that I got.
It's no big deal to have it milled. It would be more hassle to keep it from warping than to fix the warp.
When I bolted it up as it is, the flange flattened out to make a seal. I am not sure it will do that with the rest of the manifold built. So I am planning to have the MS fix that.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
attachment.php

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Specs? I'll try my best. If I leave anything out, ask.

turbonetics t04e-60 stg3 turbine.
eaton m62 (moly coated rotors)
bc 264 cams
mild port and polish
550 inj
megasquirt 3 to come (diypnp.com)
um, intercooler to come
The engine has not been built yet. It will get probe pistons and another mhg.

I'll get about 5-6 psi from the sc at throttle open (4.4 liters per engine cycle). Then when the turbo kicks in, the sc will be bypassed to run 17-20 psi from the turbo. I'm not expecting a very high peak power(400-450), but a wide powerband. Should be fun on the street.

I might run the system as a compound setup. Although I assume the intake temps from the sc would not be acceptable at higher engine speeds.

Last edited:

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
there is plenty of discussion about doing this and much less actual doing and much much less reports of the finished results. I found one poor quality video of a twincharged 7m running. A couple of videos of a driving supra with very little information. I hope to give people out there a little entertainment to see some well documented results.

most have said it is not worth the cost and work, but I was going to build a ffim anyways. So for just a little more work and a cheap used sc, I decided to do it.

ed: If you ever decide to do it, I would suggest the m90 for a non-turbo. The m62 will fizzle out at higher rpms. In my case, the turbo will pick up that slack.

attachment.php

Pyrite

Jun 25, 2008
Yamhill, Or
that dual charging is amazing. When I saw the top of the finished intake manifold I was very curious as to why it was shaped the way it was. Now I know. I bet if you build a couple of those manifolds there would be buyers on here. Maybe, i'm no marketing expert.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
There was a book I read about a twin charged mr2 in which they did extensive testing with the turbo only, sc only, sc with and w/o clutch and they actually found that at high boost the turbo was driving the supercharger and feeding power back into the crankshaft.
I'm very interested to see how this works for you, be sure to get that flange nice and straight.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
I considered building a couple of extras. I would mock it up on my supra parts car of course. But I am sure I would need to build everything needed to get them to sell. I'm not sure how much they would sell for. I'll just have to see how this one works out.

Yeah, in compound twincharged setups, the turbo helps the sc breathe at higher rpms where the sc becomes very inefficient. Not sure if I will do that b/c the intake temps may be lower running all the boost from the turbo when it kicks in.

come and see it while you are here. PM me for a number.