How much should I expect to pay for an R154 rebuild?

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Hello all,
I'm looking to rebuild my 55k mile R154, as it's grinding going into 2nd gear (I learned stick on it and killed a synchro). I was wondering how much I should expect to pay for a rebuild at a shop, if I bring them the whole car with the transmission still installed. I do plan on seeing about getting a better trust washer, as I've heard horror stories about them failing. Any experiences or stories? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
$895 at Marlin Crawler. That is handing them the transmission though (not them removing/reinstalling it). Don't know of any good trans shops in the BA to recommend to you though.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I paid $250 or somethin like that for MDC's rebuilt kit, including a new thrust washer and slave cylinder... Then I spent $400 to have the tranny rebuilt... But that was with the tranny out of the car...

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Jeff Watson of Champion Toyota also does R154 rebuilds. Give him a call he can
give you details $$s and so on. I have heard good things about his work.
He is also a dam fine parts guy as well.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Wayne G. said:
Jeff Watson of Champion Toyota also does R154 rebuilds. Give him a call he can
give you details $$s and so on. I have heard good things about his work.
He is also a dam fine parts guy as well.

I never knew Jeff did rebuilds on them, I call him so often, he's getting to the point that he knows its me when I call. I'll give him a call tomorrow. Also, I was tossing another idea around: I could always buy a blown R154 and send it out to be rebuilt while I drive my car around. Anyone got a blown R154 FS?

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
1988SupraDreams said:
I'm in Mariposa as I type, Imma look into that.

You have any expericne with them?

My tranny was built by them :)

CJ is the guy you want to talk to. Tell him Brandon sent you.

Rastafar

Mar 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune NC
I have the same problem as you did... Blown 2/3 synchronizer and I'm looking into getting a rebuild done on my r154. So, I'm just curious how things played out for you? Did you find a different r154 to have rebuilt or did you just have the mechanics pull/reinstall yours? What did you end up spending?

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
SupraOfDoom;1281028 said:
Dito on second gear grinding. Champion Toyota you say? Hmmm they are close :). Since MDC is out of the picture, anywhere to get a kit to do it yourself?

Driftmotion sells a rebuild kit.

Rastafar

Mar 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune NC
I just got a call from a friend and he found an overhauled r154 that I can get for about $2000. Should I rebuild my own or buy that one, considering cost and of course time?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'd rebuild your own.

Hell, you could buy the rebuild kit, ship the tranny to me, let me overhaul it for you, and ship it back for less than $2k.

Or even better, for $2k, I'll have a brand new 100% blueprinted r154 for sale in less than a week (including upgraded 1st gear thrust washer + MC bearing plate retainer)