How much is the average head rebuild....

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
I got the car running and it is still burning oil and the tap is still there. I took the head apart and could find nothing apparent, but now the tap does not go away at all... How much is the average head rebuild?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't know about average, but I paid $200.00 for my 3angle valve job and a full port and polish.

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
No it's much more high pitched like a valve tap. It was going away on a 20degree+ incline. but since it sat for the last 2 weeks while I changed out a lot of stuff in it, it doesn't go away at all. I know my seals are going bad, but the car is holding oil pressure good. I am considering rebuilding the head and taking care of all possible problems and quit screwing with it.

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
yes it increases with rpms but it does fade in and out, in regard to the loudness of the tap. I checked the valve clearances out, and all are within range on the OEM gauge.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tree fitty ;)

180px-303_chef_folks.gif

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
sao1 said:
Any shop in California or nearing states that can port and polish heads and maybe put in +1mm valves?

I did mine at Rob,s Auto Shop in Hayward. Good guys and they know what they are doing. Mine cost $500 to do all the deck work for metal head gasket,replace all valve seals, put in a few new valve guides and 3 angle valve job...labor included.

Cheers,
Roy

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
$1900:

Stage 1 port and polish
5 angle performance valve job
BC springs and retainers
1mm oversize Ferrera valves.
New valve seals

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
valves: 270
surface: 60
valve job, adjustment: 350
valve stem seals (don't remember)
misc shims: $25

My head was in pretty good shape so it didn't need a lot of work (guides were within spec) and I already had ferrea springs/retainers that were all ok. I also had him heli-coil all the exhaust side studs (don't recall that cost either). Most shops charge per hole on a valve job - which kind of sucks when there is 24 holes...