How much boost should i set

mk3supraoz

Aug 2, 2006
So. Cal
Hello everyone,

I am finally getting my car tune within the next to weeks.:wiggle: I wanted to see your guys input on what my high boost setting should be. i want to get the most out of my car without blowing anything please:1zhelp:

mods

COOLEEZE icp
CUSTOM exhaust system
COOLEEZE intake pipe
BIC ddp
HKS ssq bov
CT26 (57 trim)
XS intercooler
ARP head bolts
HKS mhg
WALBRO fuel pump
RC's 550cc
LEXUS afm
SAFC 2
light flywheel
stage 3 clutch
lightweight drive shaft
Greddy boost controller

with that said, any ideas on how much hp/trq to the wheels, i will be making.

i would love to hit 400 or near.

thanks guys!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Hate to be the killjoy, but the only way to reliably figure this out is to strap it to a dyno and do a bunch of runs, turning up the boost and monitoring the AFR / knock / EGTs until something starts to look dangerous, then turning it back down a bit.

Even with a mod list, there are WAY too many variables, as well as differences from car to car, to be able to estimate this with any accuracy.

mk3supraoz

Aug 2, 2006
So. Cal
GrimJack;1268114 said:
Hate to be the killjoy, but the only way to reliably figure this out is to strap it to a dyno and do a bunch of runs, turning up the boost and monitoring the AFR / knock / EGTs until something starts to look dangerous, then turning it back down a bit.

Even with a mod list, there are WAY too many variables, as well as differences from car to car, to be able to estimate this with any accuracy.

yeah, i figure...hopefully i could make decent numbers.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
How old are those injectors? Fuel pump? Certain that everything fuel wise is 100%

Don't push more than 18psi, in my opinion. If you do 16psi safely, I'd stay there.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The only thing that I see missing from your build offhand is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Other than that, and an engine in good shape, I'd be rather surprised if you couldn't go to 400+.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
ive got the same turbo, 2in i/c pipes, stock mk3 i/c, 780cc/min injectors, ms2, 3in dp and exhaust and i run 20psi. havent tried turning it up higher yet. want to get it tuned a bit better first and working on getting my ffim done so i can install my new i/c as well. and my gt4082 later.

arod

7MGTE
Mar 25, 2007
Bayamon, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico
I recommend you to install a wideband AFR sensor. The environment conditions change from the dyno to the street and if its a hot or cold day, that will affect your AFR. If you have the gauge you can monitor the AFR continuosly and prevent the worse before its too late.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Without messing with the SAFC you should be fine going as high as fuel cut allows. Messing with the SAFC without a wideband isn't recommended...

mk3supraoz

Aug 2, 2006
So. Cal
Doward;1268131 said:
How old are those injectors? Fuel pump? Certain that everything fuel wise is 100%

Don't push more than 18psi, in my opinion. If you do 16psi safely, I'd stay there.

everything is brand new

mk3supraoz

Aug 2, 2006
So. Cal
::shrug::
GrimJack;1268135 said:
The only thing that I see missing from your build offhand is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Other than that, and an engine in good shape, I'd be rather surprised if you couldn't go to 400+.

Yeah, i have been told that by some people, but they have also told me that if the tunner takes it slow i should be fine::shrug::

arod;1268202 said:
I recommend you to install a wideband AFR sensor. The environment conditions change from the dyno to the street and if its a hot or cold day, that will affect your AFR. If you have the gauge you can monitor the AFR continuosly and prevent the worse before its too late.

at the momment i only have the guage

Poodles;1268211 said:
Without messing with the SAFC you should be fine going as high as fuel cut allows. Messing with the SAFC without a wideband isn't recommended...

i am getting a wideband installed before tunning

mk3supraoz

Aug 2, 2006
So. Cal
CajunKenny;1268359 said:
Your build sounds like you'd be up there a bit. I put down 294 @ 13psi. You should definitely be beyond that!! ;)

Yeah i would really love to see 400 or at least near it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
CajunKenny;1268383 said:
Hopefully, you've got wider tires and upgrades to your breaking system. You're gonna need both!!!!

Wide tires don't have a whole lot to do with straight line traction. ;)

mk3supraoz

Aug 2, 2006
So. Cal
CajunKenny;1268383 said:
Hopefully, you've got wider tires and upgrades to your breaking system. You're gonna need both!!!!

I have 225/45/17 fronts and 255/45/17 rears, as for breaks i am doing DOWARDS upgraded brakes.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
shaeff;1268532 said:
Wide tires don't have a whole lot to do with straight line traction. ;)

I know if I didn't have 275's on the back I'd be burning more rubber than Honduhs!! :)

KMinAF;1268867 said:
Was that an intended pun or a mis spelling?

Ha ha...I'll admit it. It was a typo. A good one though... :biglaugh:

mk3supraoz

Aug 2, 2006
So. Cal
Well my guy at the shop just called me, it looks like my supra made 325rwhp @ 16lbs. I was hoping for a bit more, but hey what can you do.

Ill try to post pics of the dyno sheet tonight after i pick my car up.

I guess is not that bad, after all i did play it safe. didnt want to push my car to much (dont want to blow anything).