How many of us have automatics?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Anyone here have any experiance with a built 700r4? Im wondering if 4th is still electronic or if you can manually shift it. I want an auto, want to stay away from a toyota unit and still be able to do highway pulls.

It should be able to handle the "torqueless 1j" if I get a built one from Jegs or Summit.

AJ2009

Formerly almaj2006
Feb 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
dbsupra90 said:
a transmission cooler is like a radiator for your transmission. it cools the fluid and returns it to the trans. without it, the fluid would get too hot.

they are generally $50-150 for one. the more expensive ones are the same cooler with a small fan. i prefer the b&m coolers due to the plate design and they are very tough. you can buy them from about any speed shop, summit, jegs, or even some vendors on here.
Are they hard to install?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep...like the B&M coolers myself. Another excellent addition is a filter for the ATF...a simple add between the output of the tranny to the filter.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Hmmm... I think the early model 700r4's are what you'll be looking for. I believe you can get a vacuum operated switch for the early electronic ones(with the one 4 prong connector back on the driver's side). The trick will be hooking up a kickdown cable, as I think the A340e doesn't use one? Works off the tps, iirc.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
87 N/A automatic here and have every plan of staying auto when I drop the turbo motor in.

Cuel: The auto cars are shifted through the TPS but have a throttle pressure cable at te throttle body that could be used as kick-down.

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
Mine is auto... and I love it. Car has lots of kick and not boring to drive at all. I plan on doing the shims mod too. It's funny, my daliy driver is is a 5speed my "fun" car is an automatic

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
cuel said:
Hmmm... I think the early model 700r4's are what you'll be looking for. I believe you can get a vacuum operated switch for the early electronic ones(with the one 4 prong connector back on the driver's side). The trick will be hooking up a kickdown cable, as I think the A340e doesn't use one? Works off the tps, iirc.

a 4L80 would be a better choice for a 4sp gm trans imo. they are stronger, albeit not cheap to build for high hp.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
In stock form, my first A340 lasted about 8 months, daily driven, romping on it on occaision, and lots of healthy highway pulls. :)

Second transmission, (Still a stock one), simply with a tube/fin tranny cooler, Installed and mounted right where my driver side Foglight should be.
I've made A LOT more power to the wheels than I originally did with the old tranny, plus, it's been over **2** years, and still holding STRONG.

If your tranny has already went down the way of south, then so be it, but if it's still decent, save it and make it last longer! Coolers, (Like Dave said), Generally you can find a decent for $50-80.
It's a great investment, they're easy to install as well.
You just need to get creative with where you want to mount it.

-Jeff

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
i have a 5-speed turbo but i have driven a auto supra with a 1jz in it and at first i thought "god this is going to suck" but after a little road testing i found it to be a damn nice tranny shifts good,responsive,doesn't slip unlike many autos that i have driven. If i get another supra it might even be an auto lol

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
cuel said:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_818283_-1_10559
The Stage 2 700r4 is rated at 550 hp.

And the 4L80E(since it was brought up):
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=371
Bowtie recommends it for applications going over 500h.p.

Edit: Thanks Kckazdude. Wasn't really sure, as I haven't messed with the auto yet. Other than driving one.

yeah see, $2k for a 700r4 up to 550hp, or $2k for a 4L80 over 500hp.

monster transmission has a 700r up to 650hp for $1600.

also, dont forget they rate them at crank hp. fwiw, my 340e is rated at 750hp, but cost as much as these trans listed.

project noob- if you got one with a fan you can mount it about anywhere. mine sits where the ac condensor used to be. back when i had the condensor it was mounted behind the foglight at one point, and also was mounted behind the little inlets above the bumper. pretty much if you dont have a fan you want to have it in as much airflow as possible.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Yep. :) I have no fan on mine, and mines rather large for a tranny cooler...
I didn't have fog lights in my car to begin with, so...Mine sits right where the driver side foglight used to sit.

FMTC, FTW. :biglaugh:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ian - Did you ever figure out if a "suck'" or a "blow" was better for the fan on that cooler?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
John: Nope .....

I'd have to do a tuft test and have someone follow with a Vid camera and see just what the airflow was doing while driving.

I figure with the front mount the only time the fan should come on is in stop start low speed driving and then suck would be better.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Question to those who Converted to 5-Speed or Have/Had both an Automatic and a Manual - Is all the "hype" associated with a 5 speed transmission justified?

I'm not sure if any of the other Auto owners get it, but I've always felt like I'm missing out on something by having an automatic.