How long is too long...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
DreamerTheresa;1329857 said:
So it's acceptable for you guys to be a total doormat?

Okay, then.

I consider it more like donating to a charity. He needed it more than I did. If he never had the money to pay me, I wouldn't have cared.........but he told me he would paypal me the money that night and he didn't...........that makes him a liar.
If you're considered a door mat for helping others, then it's no wonder nobody ever tries anymore.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I give a LOT of parts away but if someone says they're going to pay me and doesn't I write them off and wouldn't give them the steam off my shit or help them in any way ever again.

Over the years I have done so much machine work for friends on the basis of "Buy me a Pizza" that if I called in the debt I could be eating free pizza till the day I die, those that have forgotten the debt will never get my help again.

It's the principal of the thing the $ means less than nothing to me.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
IJ.;1330132 said:
I give a LOT of parts away but if someone says they're going to pay me and doesn't I write them off and wouldn't give them the steam off my shit or help them in any way ever again.

Over the years I have done so much machine work for friends on the basis of "Buy me a Pizza" that if I called in the debt I could be eating free pizza till the day I die, those that have forgotten the debt will never get my help again.

It's the principal of the thing the $ means less than nothing to me.

Can I have some parts? I'll buy you a pizza!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ehhh..... T, I don't think he was complaining about the money, just wondering when too longs gets to be... well... too long.

For me, it's about 3 business days, lol - unless a previous contract has been arranged for date and time/etc.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I never said I'm out of money... I was just curious what a general consensus of 'too long' to wait was.

I guess when someone comes to me in a time of need I can just say NMP, because it turns out it kinda ends up being mine. So much for the days of a mans word meaning something.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Anytime I've ever "given" someone parts without cash changing hands, I've never expected to get paid and have just given them to the person.

I've only "financed" Supra parts once, and that owner made good on his word, and paid me every dime. He's a local Sherrif.

In general, I'd rather give parts to you rather than having you owe me money. Owing money makes for all sorts of drama I don't have the patience for.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
mkiiSupraMan18;1330303 said:
So much for the days of a mans word meaning something.

It is EXTREMELY difficult to find a man willing to stick by his word these days.

Generally speaking, I look at it this way - if you break your word about something as minor as paying back $20, what does that say about your integrity?

I'd pay $20 to know I can't trust that person. $20 now could save me a load of money down the line.

That's why I can count the people I trust on one hand. It's nothing personal, I've just seen too many people say one thing and do another.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
IJ: If you lived close to me I'd help you do the machine work and buy you 2 pizzas haha like they would be delivered while we were working haha