How long have you owned yours?

Blksupra1jzed

Nov 1, 2005
Raleigh, NC
It's definitely good to see so many people with the same mindset of keeping the car alive as long as possible. It definitely takes a lot of dedication to stick with a car this old and expensive to maintain ha ha ha :)

Blksupra1jzed

Nov 1, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Orion ZyGarian;1247024 said:
Actually, the prices compared to other cars are rather reasonable. European cars for instance are expensive as hell to mod. I'm rather happy with how not-bloated the prices are.

I agree there. I was talkin in the more newer sense. These cars do take a bit of money to maintain since they break more often. The money needed to mod it however has been a major plus of mine since you can get a rather nasty machine for under 16k

pocketkiriyama

Jan 31, 2009
Illinois
Blksupra1jzed;1246977 said:
It's definitely good to see so many people with the same mindset of keeping the car alive as long as possible. It definitely takes a lot of dedication to stick with a car this old and expensive to maintain ha ha ha :)

It's really not expensive in terms of regular maintenance I've spent most of the money modding it and putting performance parts into. I've spent about 1/8 of that into maintenance in the last 6 years that I've owned it. The parts aren't actually that expensive as long as its DIY. I remember a shop quoted me 200 dollars to replace an air duct piece for the 7mgte. I declined went to the dealer bought it for over 24 dollars and put it in myself. That's when I started to learn to fix my own car because it is that much cheaper and I can spend the rest on other leisurely things like say sushi. Yep I spend just as much on eating good food than on cars.

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
AJ'S 88NA;1247888 said:
May 1988, guess I'll keep it :)

Ha! Was waiting to see if anyone owned their MKIII new back in the eighties.

My 1989 Turbo Targa was bought new in either late 1988 or early 1989. One owner car....me!

The OP should update the first post and list responses in chronological order including mileage. That would be interesting to see.

It turned 67,505 miles on 1-12-09. Twenty years of memories in this car and I expect there will be at least twenty more out of it. Solid car.

DSC06052small.JPG

DSC06065.JPG

Brad

Last edited:

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
I got mine in October of '05. Paid way too much for it from a private lot. Engine burned oil and smoked a little. Had car lot replace it. BHG 6 months later, replaced. One year later, rodknock. Replaced engine again, 3 days later BHG. Replaced HG. 6 months after, another rodknock. Took car to Driftmotion for 1JZ, got back in December 07. July '08, melted pistons on freeway. August '08 had another 1JZ.

Yes, I've considered tossing the car off a cliff, but I love driving her too much. After all the suspension work was done, and the way the 1JZ runs, I couldn't imagine owning another car. Supras are far too awesome.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
Got my 1st SUPRA (82 P Type) early summer 1987. My current Supra (89 in SiG) I got in Summer of 1994 with 30K~ miles. I sold the 82 spring of 95 thinking I didn't need 2 Supra's & I regretted it ever since. With that lesson learned I don't plan on selling my 89 which runs great. Went through the BHG in 1998 & found/Joined SOGI shortly after & started the modding.

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
First MKIII bought September 23rd, 1999. Paid $2800 for a Turbo Targa 5-speed that everything worked in. Was wrecked before (and poorly repaired), dented hood, missing radio, but I didn't care.

The car and I have been through a lot, and I think at this point it's spent more time sitting in a driveway or my shop rather than on the road. Katrina finished the chassis off by putting water up to the middle of the doors. I was able to salvage the engine, but most of the factory electronics in the kick panels and such are gone.

There's a 90 Turbo Targa Soon-to-be-5-speed sitting in the middle bay of my shop that's awaiting the transplant. Today I sat in it for about an hour trying to get some sort of motivation or inspiration regarding the project, but the weekend was spent prepping 2 MKIVs that belong to a friend, also a Crescent City Supras Charter Member, for the TX2K9 meet. My Supra enthusiasm is usually peaked every year a TX2K9 since I haven't been behind the wheel of one with any regularity in about 4 years. Thankfully the TX2K meets come every year to sorta "keep the dream alive." Also my friend with the two MKIVs constantly gives me the keys to this 98TT figuring I'll eventually buy it from him when I come into the money....he's probably right.

Hopefully one day my 90T white package will run and drive as it should.

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
I think I've had mine almost 3 years? Take 1 day off how long I've owned it, and that's how long it hasn't been running. :eek:

-Ed.T

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
EdT.Mk3;1248483 said:
I think I've had mine almost 3 years? Take 1 day off how long I've owned it, and that's how long it hasn't been running. :eek:

-Ed.T

if your car has more down time then running then you qualify for being a supra parts owner. :biglaugh:

ed.d.

CalsonicGTR

Super Stock
Feb 5, 2008
Carbondale, Illinois
I'm coming up on the one year mark. Bought in March of last year and almost as original as I bought it. Definetly one of the best purchases I have ever made and I don't plan on getting rid of her anytime soon.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
i got mine yesterday!!!! its an n/a 5 speed 89 red targa getting prepped for the 2j swap

this is my second supra, my first one was handed down to me by my father when i turned 15, it was a white 89 n.a auto which my father bought in 1992 and was in the family till i sold it back in 2005.

MoparMarq

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Purchased in 1995. So, almost 14 years. 135,000 miles then. 198,000 miles now. Daily driver since 2006.

Had a 1980 Datsun 200SX that was the DD until the windshield was smashed by a vandal. (no replacement w/s could be found.) 279,000 miles when I had to sell it for parts.

The Supra (86.5 NA, 5-speed, black, few mods) will be the DD until the wheels fall off or 400,000 miles, whichever comes first. Like many here, half the time I love it, half the time, I want to run it off a cliff. Today, I get to replace the clutch M/C and fix the heater (bad VSV). Maybe this spring, I'll figure out why the A/C compressor clutch isn't getting power, where the trunk is leaking, why the cruise control doesn't work, and why the antenna motor isn't getting power.:icon_mad: