How hard is it to change engine mounts while the engine is in the car???

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA

Anybody ever done this??? I can't imagine it's any worse that changing out a turbo, or a starter, or a PS pump......

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
chriso said:

Anybody ever done this??? I can't imagine it's any worse that changing out a turbo, or a starter, or a PS pump......

plz someone answer this i think mine are broken....mine is making some kind of thud knocking sound....
just wondering why are u changing your engine mounts.....

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
oscolivar1 said:
plz someone answer this i think mine are broken....mine is making some kind of thud knocking sound....
just wondering why are u changing your engine mounts.....

I just wanted to know since I am planning on installing my engine this weekend and if my new mounts don't come in (fingers crossed) for whatever reason I will have to install on the old broken mounts and change them later.

Why, you wonder, don't I wait until they get here......because the wife is going away for the weekend and I have three days of uninterupted bliss to work on my Serena. :biglaugh:

Actually I don't think it will be too bad. 'm guessing you just have to jack up the engine a little bit to get them out.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It is not that hard to do, it just takes some time because the bolts are a little difficult to get at. I think the easiest way to do it is to first undo the lower motor mount nuts, then take the weight off of the engine with a engine hoist or a jack under the oil pan (use a wide wood block so as not to dent in the oil pan), and then unbolt the brackets from the block.

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Yep. It's quite simple.
Just have a friend with you when you do it. With them at the top of the engine, and you under the car, you can get the job done in less than an hour.

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
bigaaron said:
It is not that hard to do, it just takes some time because the bolts are a little difficult to get at. I think the easiest way to do it is to take the weight off of the engine with a engine hoist or a jack under the oil pan, and then unbolt the brackets from the block and undo the lower motor mount nuts.
I wouldn't jack no the oil pan:nono: , get a engine hoist and do it the right way or you mite end up replacing the oil pan!!!

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
bigaaron said:
I should have added to put a wood block on the jack for this, but I figured that was common sense.
Belive me, its not. Previous owner did that and i had to replace the oil pan.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Topher E said:
Belive me, its not. Previous owner did that and i had to replace the oil pan.

Ok, lets not go to far here.

The oil pans get a dent in them when someone tries to LIFT THE ENTIRE CAR WITH THE JACK UNDER THE OIL PAN. The oil pan can easily handle the weight of the engine itself with a wood block, which is why I said to loosen the lower motor mount nuts first and only jack it up till the weight is just off the mounts.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Yeeeeppp.. It's good insurance, Dale.
Not to mention short work, since you have to put them on anyway, may as well put good ones on.

N

NDBoost

my car is 91' i kind of have to with the whole "Gel Motor Mount" thing...
My issue is whether i should go solid motor mount or standard poly?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
PS: It's possible to jack up the engine one side at a time by putting a jack on the 'wings' that mount to the tranny. This is how we replaced the motor mounts in upgradedsupra's car.

I'll second the solid mounts idea - I love the feel of solids. :)