Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2008
Bohemian Grove, CA
before
p1013682_1.jpg

after
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(i just looped the vacum line around, instead of running the vacuum line from the Throttole body to the EGR actuator))

the car runs much better, it stays cooler and accelerates better at all engine temps...

:sarcasm:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Does this disable the EGR? If so, you may want to look into it a little further. I know a lot of engines NEED the EGR to keep the car from pinging in certain conditions, and you could damage the engine if the 7mge is an engine that does this.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
knew this forum wouldn't let me down...

Yes, that bypasses the EGR, but if his car is running better after bypassing it, he has an issue with it and needs to fix it...not rig it

May 4, 2008
Bohemian Grove, CA
in japan, they dont even have this EGR at all.. so i dont believe it is nessessry...
this trick works with no trouble in the 7m, in my opinion, becuase the computer does not adjust for it....

i had another car, which i broke the vacuum line to the EGR. it only ran like crap when it was warm and then allowed to cool off for 15 minutes or so....

i have not noticed any decline in performance, the car runs great at all temps, i noticed a difference as soon as it drove it...the engine stays cooler also....

btw: i dont think this trick will work for any car, but the mk3 it will

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bzzzzt wrong

The car IS tuned for the use of EGR, it's in the fuel and timing maps compared to the JDM ECU's since they don't have EGR on JDM cars.

Bypassing EGR won't make the car run cooler, in fact, it would make it run hotter if bypassed given that it lowers EGT's. The way you have it done it doesn't stop the exhaust from getting into the cooler in the back of the head.

At part throttle, high load situations, lack of EGR can cause detonation.

Detonation = BHG

Do it at your own risk...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Poodles;1013868 said:
bzzzzt wrong

The car IS tuned for the use of EGR, it's in the fuel and timing maps compared to the JDM ECU's since they don't have EGR on JDM cars.

Bypassing EGR won't make the car run cooler, in fact, it would make it run hotter if bypassed given that it lowers EGT's. The way you have it done it doesn't stop the exhaust from getting into the cooler in the back of the head.

At part throttle, high load situations, lack of EGR can cause detonation.

Detonation = BHG

Do it at your own risk...

When would you have part throttle and high load? If you were under load you would throttle it more.. But regardless egr doesn't activate under load, its only activated during cruising. So if you're feeling the car accelerate better without the egr you had a problem with your system.

May 4, 2008
Bohemian Grove, CA
japan did not have them....i will use at my own risk.....it should have other ways of not causing detonation beside EGR...

i agree lowering EGT or cylinder head temp is good for engine life/performance/fuel economy

but:sarcasm:, recycling HOT gases ,which happen to lower the EGT/cylinder temps, is bad for engine life/performance/fuel economy

in short, i add richness to the mixture to get the temps down, i think it is crazy to take HOT exhaust and put it back into the combustion in order to cool it....exhuast gas is too hot to cool cylinders + the 7m EGR block plate runs along number 6 cylinder

i am not the only one to do this EGR FIX. someone did it on a turbo....1,000 + miles he says no problem. i have had no problems but greater MPH $$$$$$$

May 4, 2008
Bohemian Grove, CA
CyFi6;1013871 said:
So if you're feeling the car accelerate better without the egr you had a problem with your system.

it runs better at all speeds, so makes me wonder afer 200k did the EGR on the plenum get clogged and stick open until i disconnect the vacuum...

i would probable say the cheap fix increased power like i would expect from the blocker plates,it also runs cooler at all speeds

i have not noticed anything bad...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
CustomOHioSupra;1013873 said:
japan did not have them....i will use at my own risk.....it should have other ways of not causing detonation beside EGR...

i agree lowering EGT or cylinder head temp is good for engine life/performance/fuel economy

but:sarcasm:, recycling HOT gases ,which happen to lower the EGT/cylinder temps, is bad for engine life/performance/fuel economy

in short, i add richness to the mixture to get the temps down, i think it is crazy to take HOT exhaust and put it back into the combustion in order to cool it....exhuast gas is too hot to cool cylinders + the 7m EGR block plate runs along number 6 cylinder

i am not the only one to do this EGR FIX. someone did it on a turbo....1,000 + miles he says no problem. i have had no problems but greater MPH $$$$$$$

you sir....are a douche!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
CyFi6;1013871 said:
When would you have part throttle and high load? If you were under load you would throttle it more.. But regardless egr doesn't activate under load, its only activated during cruising. So if you're feeling the car accelerate better without the egr you had a problem with your system.

No, it's not better acceleration. For example, going up a hill on the highway cruising. You're not going WOT (which would close the EGR valve), you're not using that much throttle, but you ARE increasing load. Same reason a turbo car will build boost in the same situation.

CustomOHioSupra;1013873 said:
japan did not have them....i will use at my own risk.....it should have other ways of not causing detonation beside EGR... You have to be kidding me, the ECU is tuned for using it! Get the picture? Kinda like the ECU is tuned to have damn turbo strapped to the side of the engine or not.

Wow, agree with me, and then think you're right again, too bad the COOLER in the back of the head cools the exhaust gasses. It also reduces emissions.

Yep, go ahead there buddy, make it richer, lose power and lose MPG, real smart.

I know you don't mean MPG, cause you won't get more with EGR bypassed. Many people DO bypass EGR because they have ways to tune out the issues, and they do it by REMOVING it, not unplugging the valve.

Replyed in body of quote ^^

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
CustomOHioSupra, you are just an idiot.

If you noticed the car running different by doing this, you have far worse problems that need to be addresed. What is really bad is that 2 of you problems that need to be addressed are in those photographs in the first post!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Understanding Exhaust Gas Recirculation Systems
Posted 11/5/1997
By Henry Guzman

Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) systems were introduced in the early '70s to reduce an exhaust emission that was not being cleaned by the other smog controls. Oxides of nitrogen (NOx) are formed when temperatures in the combustion chamber get too hot. At 2500 degrees Fahrenheit or hotter, the nitrogen and oxygen in the combustion chamber can chemically combine to form nitrous oxides, which, when combined with hydrocarbons (HCs) and the presence of sunlight, produces an ugly haze in our skies known commonly as smog.

How to reduce NOx NOx formation can be reduced by:

* Enriching the air fuel (A/F) mixture to reduce combustion temperatures. However, this increases HC and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions.
* Lowering the compression ratio and retarding ignition timing; but this leads to reduced performance and fuel economy.
* Recirculating some exhaust gases.

How EGR systems work The EGR valve recirculates exhaust into the intake stream. Exhaust gases have already combusted, so they do not burn again when they are recirculated. These gases displace some of the normal intake charge. This chemically slows and cools the combustion process by several hundred degrees, thus reducing NOx formation.

The design challenge The EGR system of today must precisely control the flow of recirculated exhaust. Too much flow will retard engine performance and cause a hesitation on acceleration. Too little flow will increase NOx and cause engine ping. A well-designed system will actually increase engine performance and economy. Why? As the combustion chamber temperature is reduced, engine detonation potential is also reduced. This factor enabled the software engineers to write a more aggressive timing advance curve into the spark timing program. If the EGR valve is not flowing, onboard diagnostics (OBD) systems will set a code and the power control module (PCM) will use a backup timing curve that has less advance to prevent engine ping. Less timing advance means less performance and economy. Do your customer a favor and fix those EGR codes that you may have previously deemed as unimportant.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov97/gas.htm

/thread

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
my car has 6 egr's and no intake.

works much better this way, because it only uses exhaust gases to power it and creates no harmful emmisions.

it is essentially a propetial motion supra

Status
Not open for further replies.