How awesome is this awesome hood?

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Feel free to ignore the Z31 hood scoop over the turbo. I used this pic because it was a good angle. I'm not done with it yet; still planning on doing the top secret vents at least on the drivers side; passenger side would be a bit difficult to photoshop out the scoop and put the reverse vents on.

I know its hard to see, but what I'm specifically talking about is the reverse scoop in the cowl for the radiator/intercooler heat to escape.

p1121691_1.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That's too far forward, easiest way to find where it would be is to put the camera on a tripod, take a picture of the hood open and closed, ad then overlay in photoshop to see where it is.

Anyway, as it's been discussed a million times, it's a nice hood design and we even the design RaceOne decided to make for our cars after asking the community...

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Poodles;1121702 said:
That's too far forward, easiest way to find where it would be is to put the camera on a tripod, take a picture of the hood open and closed, ad then overlay in photoshop to see where it is.

Anyway, as it's been discussed a million times, it's a nice hood design and we even the design RaceOne decided to make for our cars after asking the community...
You mean like this?

p1121711_1.jpg

You're right though, it is too far forward. I wish I could find the one without the photoshop filter

MK3Brent;1121701 said:
Can opener and a hammer.

I'm tempted to start off with something as rough and barbaric as that with a spare hood. The idea is to make a hood in carbon fiber thats so ugly that its functional; basically my take on the stout hood.

Last edited:

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Well I wasnt the first to have this idea. I found this car coincidentally on YouTube; the owner is Hungarian and linked me pics to his buildup
14.jpg

15.jpg

51.jpg

Pretty close to what I had in mind, sans the NACA duct/scoop integrated for an intake box. I'd also fab a shroud for the cowl vent (from radiator to hood), integrate rain runoff lines..little stuff like that

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Someone on this site (might have been SF), had a step by step how to on this exact hood mod. It was done on a 240sx but it would be the same procedure on a MkIII hood.

I do have one word you may want to consider before you undertake this modification...rain.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Orion, that is almost identical to the design I've been working on.

Glad to see it's going to look just as good as I imagined it would! ;)

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Orion ZyGarian;1125247 said:
Well I wasnt the first to have this idea. I found this car coincidentally on YouTube; the owner is Hungarian and linked me pics to his buildup
http://img.carstyling.hu/usercars/00/02/57/59/14.jpg
http://img.carstyling.hu/usercars/00/02/57/59/15.jpg
http://img.carstyling.hu/usercars/00/02/57/59/51.jpg

Pretty close to what I had in mind, sans the NACA duct/scoop integrated for an intake box. I'd also fab a shroud for the cowl vent (from radiator to hood), integrate rain runoff lines..little stuff like that

So, uh....who makes that hood? I actually like it -- and there's not really an aftermarket hood I like...Stout would be better w/o the vent right behind the headlight cover...

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
suprabad;1125254 said:
I do have one word you may want to consider before you undertake this modification...rain.

That word does not matter to someone who doesn't drive their car in the rain ;)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
foreverpsycotic;1125505 said:
That word does not matter to someone who doesn't drive their car in the rain ;)

I agree, especially back east. I'm in California, so we drive 'em all year round and it occasionally rains (about the only good thing about living in Cali "big brother" fornia).

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
As already stated there are TONS of threads about this.

My vent covers the ENTIRE high pressure zone, not just the front of it. Air pours out of all 3 vents even when its sitting still and idling.

FSCN1045rs.JPG