Hot tanking & bearings question

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm some machine work done for a metal head gasket. I have the bottom end totally disassembled and labeled. My question is about the bearings, my machine shop keeps trying to talk me into buying a new bearing kit for the mains, rods, and oil DS. But I'm thinking since the motor was running, and I checked the clearances before I disassembled, I can reuse the stock bearings, since i'm only hot-tanking the block, decking the block & head, and installing new freeze plugs. So being that i'm going to try to get the motor back to stock as possible, minus the metal head gasket, I think this should be fine. Does anyone follow me one this or should I go ahead and get the new bearing kit?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Get new bearings. No point in doing all that to not to. Oil pump ds are pretty much a must with hot tanking. Hot tanks destroy bearings. Why rebuild a engine to use old ass bearings. Get clevites dont buy king.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Don't use old bearings.

Buy the kit from the machine shop.

Try and get them to give you NDC Bearings or buy them yourself.

Don't get Clevites either for the 7M since those are reboxes King Bearings and King Bearings on a 7M is not good.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I've had both ends- Bought first set of ACL's and got NDC, bought another set of ACL's and got ACL bearings. Kinda depends on the box in my experience :)

Edit: get all new bearings no matter what you do. Oil pump DS, mains, and rods.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IBoughtASupra;1676764 said:
IJ. Thinks Otherwise....

Well no he doesn't :p

Read back through and you'll see I ID'd them as NDC's for a long time but someone else posted I think it was ACL's in Clevite boxes now...

I have posted I wouldn't use Kings ever in anything not even to wedge a door open as they fail at that as well ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Are you doing the rings as well? You're rebuilding the engine, replace the wear items.

It's like taking your brakes apart to clean and not replacing the seals and pads. You're only going to have to take it apart again to replace it soon after...

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Poodles;1676810 said:
Are you doing the rings as well? You're rebuilding the engine, replace the wear items.

It's like taking your brakes apart to clean and not replacing the seals and pads. You're only going to have to take it apart again to replace it soon after...

Yea I already have a new set of NPR replacement pistons. With there new ring kits. So thats taken care of.

So back to the original topic, should I buy a set of ACL bearings for the mains, caps, and oil DS, if available.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
A really long time, they are called United Speed World, they have done all kinds of work and are well known in Tampa. I was suggested to go to them by a Victor at F & H Performance in Tampa, also.

What I think it was, was the guy I was talking to didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about. I'm going back tomorrow to drop off the main caps, and bolts. Ill ask the head machinist and owner of the shop about them tomorrow.