hoping to get back into the supra game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
mostly just looking to randomly talk here...

i need some advice, actually..

let me start off with this....

So right now i have a 1990 nissan 240sx because i couldn't afford my supra anymore.. i got discharged from the military and lost any sort of funds, and in the long run, it would have been cheaper to get a 240 that actually ran so i could still have my rwd fun. so i did. sold the supra, and now here i am with a 240..

this is where everything gets all screwy.
see, the thing is, mkiii supras are kind of my ultimate dream car. I loved that car. Oh my god. it was a blast. it broke my heart when the engine blew up. :(
but now that i have this 240, i've looked more into everything, and i've found out that i'm looking at about $2000 in fixing just RUST. that doesn't include the dents and what not on the body panels not to mention the ka24e is kind of a shit engine...

now heres my dilemma.... I found a SUPER clean RUST FREE 1990 supra rolling shell, no engine, no transmission. Targa top. $1300.
i also browsed Zerolift. they have a complete 1jzgte+5speed r154 swap. $2000+S&H.

holy jesus. That's the best deal i've seen ANYWHERE for a 1jzgte.

Not to mention, that is my DREAM set up. i was going to do that exact swap into my old supra.

this is where i'm torn. i have a good steady job now, and i have the funds to do one or the other.... in the end, is it worth it to just ditch the 240 that is plastered with cancer? The frame rails may as well not even be there anymore.... but my cousin has been dying to find a 240 for cheap, and is willing to do body and rust work.. and I'd let it go for a few hundred because i know that with all the rust, it's not worth more than $600 tops..

i just need a voice of reason here.... anyone...?

a really big part of me is telling me to save up and get that supra.. they don't sell very well here so i'm sure it'd still be here in a month or so when i'll have the spendable money to get it.. and then from there just another couple months to save up for the 1jz swap... and of course all the little odds and ends to go with it... I'd be look at by spring i could have that car running and road worthy.. not to mention it already comes with a huge aftermarket FMIC

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Why would you piss away what little disposable income you have on an old car at time in your life when it's one of the worst moves you could be making? Of all the stuff you should be saving up for this should not even be among them. :nono:

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
AMEN! I got out of the military in 2010 on a medical discharge....I had a bitch of a time trying to get a job. Verteran status my ass. Nobody is hiring..... They don't care if you have a masters degree in ass kissing, or are retired military. You need to focus more on saving what you can right now and not worry about fixing a car up that you don't even have. While it is nice to day dream, and I do it alot.....but be smart about your finances and get something that needs nothing done to it for repairs, and use it as a DD until you are well up on your feet. I took a year and a half off of Supras even though I still owned one, I didn't spend a penny on it except gas and oil....Now I am very glad I did that because now I have a 2JZ in there, big single turbo..... and I am not living pay check to pay check ( not saying you are ), but had I have gotten the junk we wanted to for that Supra, we would have not been able to get this house.

Take from someone that just got out as well......BE GREEDY AND SAVE YOUR SHIT!!! Cars will always be there, your financial wellness..... won't be.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Sell the 240zx buy a fuel efficient car, save your money, get a stable job with steady income then save more money get on your feet, then think about buying a endless money pit.

Some really good advice in here but it's your choice what you end up doing.

Like what 91supra313 said the cars will always be here, don't put yourself in a compromising position.

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Oh don't worry I got the daily driver out of the way. Either way I'm gonna sell the 240 and put all that money towards a better daily than what I have. That's coming before anything. And I already have financial plans for everything. I have a set plan of saving money each month for things that NEED to be saved up for.
I'm not planning putting all of every paycheck towards a car and engines and what not. I have things to pay for and things to save up for. Those come first.

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
And that whole ability to have it done by spring is all just more of in theory, if I spent enough money on it that fast. But I won't. I was just saying I could if I wanted to. I could get it done faster if I really wished.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Please don't.... :nono:

Anyone that thinks I'm being harsh locking this need only to search some of this guys previous threads to see why.

Stick with the 240, if you were discharged from the military for depression owning a Mk3 will kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.