Homemade Sway Bars

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Hello all,

As some of you know, I have moved from the 4x4 club into the supra club. So I have alot of metal fab experience and like to make things myself rather than buy. So my question is, has anyone built their own sway bars? If so, what material, heat treatment? I've been trying to find info on specifications and requirement of the metal, but not much luck. Let me know what you guys think. I have had my mind on 7/8" solid mild steel bars with adjustable end links.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
I can measure up the stock diameter when I get home tonight John, at least this way you can use the same mounting brackets w/ new bushings.

Too bad I *just* put in my sway bars ... =D

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I was talking to a friend who races his E30 M3 and is basically my handling Guru.

He runs Hollow Swaybars, There is nothing wrong with them, They are lighter, definitely, BUT usually they do need to be much fatter, and have thicker walls to do as good as a job as a solid bar of comareible size.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
johnathan1 said:
I wonder if there is any way to fill the hollow stock sways...to make them solid?

the effectiveness of sway bars is based upon torsional stiffness - adding anything that does not create a rigid bond with the inside of the tubing is useless, it is just adding extra weight. Either go for solid bars or thicker walled, larger diameter ones.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
30mm front 22mm rears here.

It needs to be a good grade of steel that will heat treat correctly.

Ends aren't an issue a big hammer a torch and an Anvil solve that but a more elegant way to do it would be with an adjustable sliding C clamp.

Having said all that the Adjustable Whitelines are cheap so it's not really worth the effort. (I like to make my own parts but often it's just not worth the hassle/time/expense if the parts exist)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If you have the gear to do it you can make a pair of bars for very little cost then if you're not happy you can make a heavier/lighter set and so on.

Back in 1997 when I got my Supra there were none available and being lazy I sent Whiteline a set of stock bars to copy so I could have a pair, at the time I guesstimated 30/22 and it suited my chassis and I was happy :biglaugh:

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Ric said:
i would think something so popular and widely available in 1000 different forms would not have to be home made. Put the effort into something worth it..

Dont be so closed minded. Some of us dont live in areas where these parts are "widely available" without huge shipping costs, brokerage fees, and other bs.

And from what i have seen on the net. I could make a much nicer set thats fully adjustable. Been searching around and it looks like 4140 Chromoly solid bar. Some simple thorching, bending, a mech bath and done :biggrinki