HKS vs. Greddy headgasket

charman02

Cruiser
Oct 14, 2008
Fresno
Sorry if this is a repost. I've searched but only came up on the headgasket thickness selection. I know both brand has good reputation, but which would you guys prefer for our cars, Greddy or HKS? I ask because there is a big price difference. Thanks in advance

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
The hks stopper is the popular route...

Both are good as well as a cometic which is cheaper than both and still a good gasket.

Your call...it really doesn't matter aslong as the prep work is good:)

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I personally went with the Greddy, as with the thickness and bore I needed, cometic was about the same price but would have had to wait for them to make it, I found a Greddy from Driftmotion that I got right away. Unless you are planing to boost more than 25psi, imho the hks stopper is not really needed, but doesn't hurt and adds a little more security, but it does hurt your wallet a little more...

Just my $.02 or was that more like $.05 ... gotta figure in inflation...

charman02

Cruiser
Oct 14, 2008
Fresno
OK, thanks guys. Yea, I've always thought that the hks stopper would make it easier for me to sleep at night. Ut thanks for the advice and your $.05 gottadiesel, lol

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I should also add, that I absolutely positively concur with the other posters that are saying focus on the prep... like throwing cleans clothes on a stinky body... just wasting time and money if you don't have the block and the head prep'd correctly, meaning by machinist and one that gets your surface to an ra value of 20 or less, mine is at about 12 or 13, I "think" HKS states at least 30... then of course you need to make sure that you measure your block and head to determine the proper thickness gasket is selected, there are some links in other threads that give detail equations and measurements... But you want to make sure that you do not change your compression ratio when changing your gasket...

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
Justin727;1525845 said:
Well seeing how the regular HKS, Greddy, cometic have proven themselves just fine the stopper is just a waste of money IMHO.

depends on your power level. dont you want peace of mind if you are running high boost highpower application?
or maybe you have tons of money to throw around lol

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.

Justin727

T-virus infected
At the time I went with Greddy; cometic didnt have 2mm readily avialible so I went with Greddy. Cometic was also more expensive because they would of had to make the 2mm I needed.

Either or you'll be happy with but IMHO there shouldnt be any need of the stopper type hg at all. But whatever makes people sleep easier is whats best for them

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I actually had the dyno session when it happened posted for a year or so :p

Nothing dramatic, just 30psi on pump bit of a rattle backed out of it and it blew some coolant out of the recovery tank.