high piched exhaust in 5th

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
No more insults/flaming guys. Just answer the question or get out of the thread. If you think the question is hard to answer due to lack of detail or whatever, then either ask for more detail or just don't post. Anymore insults/flames after this post will result in an infraction.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Oh yeah, to the OP, most of your modifications don't really add power and if they do, they don't do much. Also, with a lot of the things you're saying, it sounds more like guessing/theory then actual truth. You can't tell how much faster you'll perform in the quarter mile due to lost weight (you said it would be .574, that sounds like pure speculation and it sounds like you had some equation for that) and the "number of modifications" doesn't matter, only the meaningful ones do.

All in all, just stop the flaming, and OP, try to type more legibly.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
stock turbos run 14's and 13's with dp and exhaust and intake
:3d_frown: dude edit*.....you should be in the 13's with what you got

Last edited:

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
LOL at this entire thread.

87tomanymods, does the sound occur only in fifth or does it happen when you reach a certain speed regardless of gear? I can't think of any reason why your exhaust pitch would change with gear selection. It must be either a bad bearing somewhere or something was overlooked in the trans. If the sound only occurs in fifth my money is on the trans.

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
benchwarmer;1183798 said:
LOL at this entire thread.

87tomanymods, does the sound occur only in fifth or does it happen when you reach a certain speed regardless of gear? I can't think of any reason why your exhaust pitch would change with gear selection. It must be either a bad bearing somewhere or something was overlooked in the trans. If the sound only occurs in fifth my money is on the trans.

throwout ??

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Back on topic!!

I get the fact that most here don't like his car. He isn't asking for anyone's opinion or approval. The next person that posts a dumbass statement not pertaining to his current situation will get some time off.

Last edited:

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
87tomanymods;1183974 said:
Thank you muzzy and dr chill it seems to only ocur in 5th gear under aceleration and it did it before and after changing exhaust with a stock manifold and a header cat no cat whatever its always done it now maby not with the stck muffler cause it wasnt loud enough to notice then and its had 2 diferent mufflers people from the outside of vehicle can hear it to i have driven one other mk3 supra that did this it was a costomers car at my work and did the same thing they did say that their was also bored out like mine but i cant see how that would make a difference unles the unique displacement and rased compression affected the flow just right it kindof sounds as if every gear was a note like on a scale and then 5th just skiped like three again it runs great just wondering if any one else had heard / niticed any thing similar

when you push in the clutch ... does the noise go away ??

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
^ARGGGG........

Is this place becoming supraforums?

beachsupra;1183733 said:
stock turbos run 14's and 13's with dp and exhaust and intake
:3d_frown: dude edit*.....you should be in the 13's with what you got

87tomany: Where is that dyno sheet from? When you put it in 5th and press the clutch in while moving does it stay there or go away? (the sound.)

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I'm very curious about the dyno sheet. It looks like it was just cropped from another dyno sheet. Any proof that it's actually you? I've seen a few N/A guys in the past post BS about dynos with nothing to back it up, so sorry for the skepticism.

sgtmcboom

Sep 3, 2006
fort myers florida
Well lets start with your car to see if there is any parts that could affect the sound.

dual 2.5 in carbon mufflers What type of a y pipe do you have or is one a fake one?

j spec umm arnt all of the toyota supras "japan spec" unless yours is right hand drive its not.

Unorthadox crank pulley It would explane growling and mabe extra vibration because without a dampener on there the engines gona tear itself appart unless it is perfectly ballanced.

Pace setter header ,3 in ex Did pace setter make a 3 inch output on any of the N/A exhousts? because if you are going from header of 2.5 inch to 3 inch and then back to a y pipe and back to 2 2.5 inch mufflers there could be some sort of problem there.

Just wondering if these could cause an issue or if you had the issue before or after you installed these parts.

j spec,bored 30 over,shotpeened rods, Ferra oversized valves ,shaved head, arp studs ,gredy 1.2 mm hg ,billit cams ,aem cam gears adjustable fuel pres reg, Unorthadox crank pulley,MSD ignition w/6a ,Pace setter header ,3 in ex ,no cat, dual 2.5 in carbon mufflers Centerforce clutch , short shifter, American racing 17x10 rear 17x8 front, dayton zr 275-40-17rear, 245-45-17 front, cromolly trailing arms. Cusco strut bars, ST sway bars, ST springs, KYB struts, Power slot rotors, Goodrich braided lines, APC seats stage 3 weight reduction. and a 36 piece hand made kit

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
87tomanymods;1184583 said:
it does it on acelleration crusing any time exept decelleration in gear .I.actualy modified the header so its not 2.5 out any more i cut further up the down pipe where its still two pipes other wise it would have bin a bottle neck in the system the y pipe and every thig from the header back i made when i worked at midas it is all angle cut and welded no crush bends and the 02 is located 6 inches down the pipe after the down pipe the original exhaust was the stock with resonator removed high flow cat and a magnaflow race magnum muffler it did it with both systems when i say j spec i mean the motor is from japan arived at my work on a crate came from a toyota crown had to switch the oil pump pan and manifolds over the dyno was done at philly race engines and yes it is n/a and it does it weather my foot is on the clutch or not high or low spd as long as its in fith
Oh I see the motor was dynoed on a stand, so that is HP at the flywheel, not RWHP?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
question for the OP, does that calculator u posted work for street tires or slicks?

as for the noise +1 on the tranny

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
87tomanymods;1184702 said:
+ 1 on the tranny ? huh .seems to be street tires . and that is rwhp i took the car to them after breakin in on motor i wouldnt want them running it that hard with new rings .plus i had to play with the cam gears and spark timing and fuel pressure for tuning puposes i use the g teck 2 it is atleast acurate to itself if as long as you grany shift it then go to the dyno that way you only have to pay for minimal dyno tyme
What kind of dyno? Very hard to get that kind of RWHP from a NA with the mods you have listed. Look at my profile, a lot more mods listed, the 215 hp was done on a Dyno-jet dyno. Just curious.