HID Installation, now light wont flip up

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
So here is a strange dilemma.

I picked up a new set of Hella E-codes and a set of H4 HID lights from HIDNation. I install the simple plug and play stuff. I go to flip on the lights... and the light that I did not change yet flips up and turns on. The LIght with the new Housing and HID does not flip up.

I manually crank it up to make sure everything is ok. I pull the fuse for the headlights and both headlights turn on the city lights. ?????

Has anyone else has this problem after changing to HID? I find this very strange as to my knowledge the bulb being in the housing has nothing to do with the triggering arm of the headlight.

Im gonna go try the other headlight......

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
Silly me... I thought red was (+) and Black was (-) Apparently my friends at HIDNation are mad JDM they wire things up the opposite way. Apparently on this kit RED is (-) and Black was (+) problem solved. The E-codes looks really nice.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
While I will say I did this myself, I will save you the hassle I had and tell you to return the HID's. Even with E-codes you're going to glare (because the kits are TERRIBLE about aligning the bulb) and you'll have shadows in the beam that you wouldn't have with the proper halogen bulb. Not to mention the components are extremely cheap and will fail very quickly (you're lucky if you make it a year).

Hell, they don't even do stock (4300K) kelvin on that site.

Also, HID kits are illegal, and are a great way to get a cop to pull you over...

There's only one proper way to do HID's, and it's with a projector retrofit.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
^^ I agree. but for $30 I figured I'd try it out. I have already adjusted the light pattern to focus on the driving line of sight, and to not glare off into incoming traffic. If these HID's dont cut it, I will swap back some high end H4 halogen bulbs. I already bought a set of Hella driving lights to install for additional lighting on long distance night drives.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeha, the issue is you end up aiming them down, which increases your foreground lighting and kills your night vision. Makes it harder to see :(

Don't even need super high end halogens, just normal H4 bulbs from a good company (stay away from blue coatings!).

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Daniel Stern

And if you retrofit, The Retrofit Source has some awesome deals. The FX-r they offer is damn good.