Hid install the right way <- Not the right way

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Ok I wanted hids in my supra so I went ahead and made some orders for my project I was asked to make a thread for this so here you go

What you need (what I used)

eBay h1/h4 projectors. 50 bucks
7x6 eBay headlights. 25.00
H4 hids. I used eBay junk ones just for test. I'm getting some nice ddm or other hid. 30 bucks

Epoxy,silicon/glue,and gas. 15 bucks

****** Never Put hids in housing without projector u will blind people with the glare... Do it right

Step one

I had glass headlights from eBay so I put them in gas for a day and they split right apart for plastic light lens use a oven to separate

Step two

Trim the back of the headlight housing and epoxy on new type of backing to it. I used large Thick piece of plastic

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369017715.908997.jpg

Step three

cut a whole in the backing so the projector will fit in and place in projector

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369017811.131963.jpg

Step four

secure projector with something mine had 4 mounting holes so put 4 self tappers or screws in them

Step five

Put the lenses back on with some type of sealant/glue and let them sit over night

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369017986.539876.jpg

I haven't put them in the car yet but I tested these cheap eBay projectors

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369018106.150292.jpg

Cut off seems to be good. You may need to trim headlight retractor housing for the projectors to fit

I will be updating when I get them on car should me tomorrow night

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
Those are halogen ebay ones. Matter of fact, morimoto are the cheapest projector u can buy new as of hid and they still run about 120ish up....but for now ill say the light pattern isnt bad until we see pics of it install.

19supra90

Noob.
Mar 11, 2008
Findlay
Should probably check out www.theretrofitsource.com to start off the "HID install the right way". Tons of info there and if you message them, their customer service is top notch. I've gotten great responses from them and I now actually feel comfortable doing it myself. I'll post up on how I did it whenever I can afford it lol.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
I don't see how this isn't a good way the cut off is sharp there's almost if not any glare. It's alot better then just pooping hids in a regular housing. I might have used "the right way" in the wrong terms

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
You need real hid projectors. Cut off is important but so is light pattern. Here are results from my is250 retrofit. Also have a progress thread here. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173666

y6umu7y6.jpg

udahapab.jpg

6anepa2u.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sharp cutoff yes, width, hellllll no. Halogen projectors have to use a light source that is less than half the brightness of HID on average, so they're designed differently.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Well the cutoff is good. The width like you said is ok. But it's alot better then what it was with just hids in the 7x6 housing. Is it the best hid set up no. I just wanted to try it out. At least I'm not blinding people.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Don't get me wrong, not trying to "hate" on you, just wish you hadn't spend the money on this =/ A bit more money would have gotten you better and more reliable components.